Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Logout popup-box does not appear - how do I troubleshoot this?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Logout popup-box does not appear - how do I troubleshoot this?

I've just upgraded to 13.04 on my Acer Revo and I've got a strange problem.

I find that the logout popup-box refuses to appear, and other things seem broken like the update-manager's password popup-box doesn't appear and the update-manager says "this operation cannot continue since proper authorization was not provided".

I have to shut-down by pressing the power button, which shuts things down rapidly. Then on the next power-up everything works fine and I can shut down normally. Then on the next power-up, the problems are back. And so on. So now I shut-down with the power-button to ensure that things work next time even if I can shut down normally.

This is obviously an unsatisfactory situation, so I'd be grateful for suggestions on how to probe this fault.

Are you talking about the popup that requests your confirmation of whether to Log out or not? If so, that is located somewhere in System Settings. I looked for it, so that the popup you want was removed, in my case. That is what I prefer. I don't like to have to re-affirm the things I do. Nevertheless, if that is what you want, I will go try to find it and return. Shouldn't take too long; it is just a matter of checking a box.

I think I found what you are looking for:

Kmenu (on your panel)>Applications>Settings>SystemSettings>System Administration (last entry on the screen)>Startup and Shutdown>SessionManagement> in 'General', check the box for 'Confirm logout', and you should have your answer.
    Originally posted by davr1834 View Post
    I've just upgraded to 13.04 on my Acer Revo and I've got a strange problem.

I find that the logout popup-box refuses to appear, and other things seem broken like the update-manager's password popup-box doesn't appear and the update-manager says "this operation cannot continue since proper authorization was not provided".

I have to shut-down by pressing the power button, which shuts things down rapidly. Then on the next power-up everything works fine and I can shut down normally. Then on the next power-up, the problems are back. And so on. So now I shut-down with the power-button to ensure that things work next time even if I can shut down normally.

This is obviously an unsatisfactory situation, so I'd be grateful for suggestions on how to probe this fault.
    Last edited by Shabakthanai; May 24, 2013, 07:14 PM. Reason: more information

Comment

Yes, I'm talking about the logout confirmation, but the problem isn't that it logs out without confirmation, but that I can't log out. As I explained, I have to hit the power button. The logout confirmation is checked in system settings.

However, the problem has simply gone away now, without me changing anything. On one start up, the following message appeared, not in a popup, but directly on the wallpaper:

"Could not start process Cannot talk to klauncher: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken."

On subsequent boots, everything was back to working normally.
      Last edited by davr1834; May 26, 2013, 01:01 AM. Reason: including error message

Comment

Working...
      X