Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I add a cdrom in Kubuntu 13.04 64bit?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I update my computer, I get the following:

cdrom:[Kubuntu 13.04 _Raring Ringtail_ - Release amd64 (20130424)]/dists/raring/main/binary-amd64/Packages Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs cdrom:[Kubuntu 13.04 _Raring Ringtail_ - Release amd64 (20130424)]/dists/raring/multiverse/binary-amd64/Packages Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs cdrom:[Kubuntu 13.04 _Raring Ringtail_ - Release amd64 (20130424)]/dists/raring/restricted/binary-amd64/Packages Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs cdrom:[Kubuntu 13.04 _Raring Ringtail_ - Release amd64 (20130424)]/dists/raring/universe/binary-amd64/Packages Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs cdrom:[Kubuntu 13.04 _Raring Ringtail_ - Release amd64 (20130424)]/dists/raring/main/binary-i386/Packages Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs cdrom:[Kubuntu 13.04 _Raring Ringtail_ - Release amd64 (20130424)]/dists/raring/multiverse/binary-i386/Packages Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs cdrom:[Kubuntu 13.04 _Raring Ringtail_ - Release amd64 (20130424)]/dists/raring/restricted/binary-i386/Packages Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs cdrom:[Kubuntu 13.04 _Raring Ringtail_ - Release amd64 (20130424)]/dists/raring/universe/binary-i386/Packages Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs

What do I do to solve the error? Thanks!

sudo apt-cdrom-add

Comment

My personal opinion. is disabling altogether the cd-rom repository and download the packages from the internet (if you have a reliable internet connection).
      From software center (from Settings menu).
      Kubuntu 13.10 saucy 3.11.0-12-generic 64bit (el_GR.UTF-8, kde-plasma), Windows 7
      AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5600+ ‖ RAM 1750 MiB ‖ ALiveNF6P-VSTA
      nVidia C61 [GeForce 6150SE nForce 430] [10de:03d0] {nvidia}
      eth0: nVidia MCP61 Ethernet [10de:03ef] (rev a2)

Comment

Here is the result of my attemmpt:

steven@Yeshuah:~$ sudo apt-cdrom-add
        [sudo] password for steven:
        sudo: apt-cdrom-add: command not found
        steven@Yeshuah:~$

Originally posted by GilGib View Post
        sudo apt-cdrom-add

Comment

Are you talking about using Muon Pacage Manager?

How do I remove the cdrom repository?

I typed "add cdrom" into Muon Package Manager and got the following package:
          libapt-pkg4.12

Is that what I should install?
          Originally posted by Achaean View Post
          My personal opinion. is disabling altogether the cd-rom repository and download the packages from the internet (if you have a reliable internet connection).
          From software center (from Settings menu).

Comment

Disabling the CD rom as the package repository

Kubuntu Forums: http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthr...-when-updating

AptCdrom - use the CD to install packages

Ubuntu Community Documentation: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AptCdrom

man pages /1/:
            NAME
            apt-cdrom - APT CD-ROM management utility

SYNOPSIS
            apt-cdrom [-rmfan] [-d=cdrom_mount_point] [-o=config_string] [-c=config_file] {add | ident |
            {-v | --version} | {-h | --help}}

DESCRIPTION
            apt-cdrom is used to add a new CD-ROM to APT's list of available sources. apt-cdrom takes care of
            determining the structure of the disc as well as correcting for several possible mis-burns and
            verifying the index files.

It is necessary to use apt-cdrom to add CDs to the APT system; it cannot be done by hand. Furthermore
            each disc in a multi-CD set must be inserted and scanned separately to account for possible
            mis-burns.

Unless the -h, or --help option is given, one of the commands below must be present.

add
            add is used to add a new disc to the source list. It will unmount the CD-ROM device, prompt for a
            disc to be inserted and then proceed to scan it and copy the index files. If the disc does not
            have a proper .disk directory you will be prompted for a descriptive title.

APT uses a CD-ROM ID to track which disc is currently in the drive and maintains a database of
            these IDs in /var/lib/apt/cdroms.list
            It is
            Code:
            sudo apt-cdrom add
            The apt-cdrom is part of the apt.

:~$ apt-file search apt-cdrom
            apt: /usr/bin/apt-cdrom
            The apt is:
            :~$ apt-cache show apt
            Package: apt
            Priority: important
            Section: admin
            Installed-Size: 3342
            Description: commandline package manager
            This package provides commandline tools for searching and
            managing as well as querying information about packages
            as a low-level access to all features of the libapt-pkg library.
            These include:
            * apt-get for retrieval of packages and information about them
            from authenticated sources and for installation, upgrade and
            removal of packages together with their dependencies
            * apt-cache for querying available information about installed
            as well as installable packages
            * apt-cdrom to use removable media as a source for packages
            * apt-config as an interface to the configuration settings
            * apt-key as an interface to manage authentication keys
            Notes

1. HOWTO find Kubuntu's manual / reference / guide / documentation / help : http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthr...mentation-help
            Last edited by Rog131; May 22, 2013, 01:17 AM.
            Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
            1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
            2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

This is what I get when I run the command "sudo apt-get update"

Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs

W: Failed to fetch cdrom://Kubuntu 13.04 _Raring Ringtail_ - Release amd64 (20130424)/dists/raring/restricted/binary-i386/Packages Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs

W: Failed to fetch cdrom://Kubuntu 13.04 _Raring Ringtail_ - Release amd64 (20130424)/dists/raring/universe/binary-i386/Packages Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs

E: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

This is what I get when I attempt what I believe is your recommendation:

steven@Yeshuah:~$ sudo apt-cdrom add
              Using CD-ROM mount point /media/cdrom/
              Unmounting CD-ROM
              Waiting for disc...
              Please insert a Disc in the drive and press enter
              Mounting CD-ROM...
              E: Unable to stat the mount point /media/cdrom/ - stat (2: No such file or directory)
              E: Unable to stat the mount point /media/cdrom/ - stat (2: No such file or directory)
              E: Failed to mount the cdrom.
              Unmounting CD-ROM
              Waiting for disc...
              Mounting CD-ROM...
              I confirmed that apt is installed and the newest version. Can you tell, from this, what is wrong, other than just me?

W: Failed to fetch cdrom://Kubuntu 13.04 _Raring Ringtail_ - Release amd64 (20130424)/dists/raring/main/binary-amd64/Packages Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs

W: Failed to fetch cdrom://Kubuntu 13.04 _Raring Ringtail_ - Release amd64 (20130424)/dists/raring/multiverse/binary-amd64/Packages Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs

W: Failed to fetch cdrom://Kubuntu 13.04 _Raring Ringtail_ - Release amd64 (20130424)/dists/raring/restricted/binary-amd64/Packages Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs

W: Failed to fetch cdrom://Kubuntu 13.04 _Raring Ringtail_ - Release amd64 (20130424)/dists/raring/universe/binary-amd64/Packages Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs

W: Failed to fetch cdrom://Kubuntu 13.04 _Raring Ringtail_ - Release amd64 (20130424)/dists/raring/main/binary-i386/Packages Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs

W: Failed to fetch cdrom://Kubuntu 13.04 _Raring Ringtail_ - Release amd64 (20130424)/dists/raring/multiverse/binary-i386/Packages Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs

W: Failed to fetch cdrom://Kubuntu 13.04 _Raring Ringtail_ - Release amd64 (20130424)/dists/raring/restricted/binary-i386/Packages Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs

W: Failed to fetch cdrom://Kubuntu 13.04 _Raring Ringtail_ - Release amd64 (20130424)/dists/raring/universe/binary-i386/Packages Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs

E: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.
              steven@Yeshuah:~$ sudo apt-get install apt
              Reading package lists... Done
              Building dependency tree
              Reading state information... Done
              apt is already the newest version.
              0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 10 not upgraded.
              Originally posted by Rog131 View Post
              Disabling the CD rom as the package repository

Kubuntu Forums: http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthr...-when-updating

AptCdrom - use the CD to install packages

Ubuntu Community Documentation: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AptCdrom

man pages /1/:

It is
              Code:
              sudo apt-cdrom add
              The apt-cdrom is part of the apt.

The apt is:

Notes

1. HOWTO find Kubuntu's manual / reference / guide / documentation / help : http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthr...mentation-help
              Last edited by Shabakthanai; May 22, 2013, 02:35 AM. Reason: to bold appropriate parts

Comment

Just a thought here... Did you run a CD check on the live CD before you tried to load it? It sounds like your CD may be corrupted (or your CDROM player has issues reading it.)

You should be able to insert the live cd into the CDROM player, reboot the system, and get to the LIVE cd menu. There is a 'check CD for defects' item which you can select that should verify wheather your CD is good. IF it fails on the machine your trying to load you can do the same on another machine to verify wheather it is the CD or the CDROM drive.

See https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCD and https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BurningIsoHowto for more details and helpful graphics...

cheers,
                bill
                Last edited by bweinel; May 22, 2013, 12:47 PM.
                sigpic
                A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new. --Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Shabakthanai View Post
                  How do I remove the cdrom repository?
                  Go to Settings -> Software & Updates.
                  Can you see the cd repository there?
                  Disable or delete it.

If you can't see it there, from konsole give
                  Code:
                  kdesudo kate /etc/apt/sources.list
                  If you can see it here, comment it out (writing an # at the beginning of the line), or delete it.
                  Kubuntu 13.10 saucy 3.11.0-12-generic 64bit (el_GR.UTF-8, kde-plasma), Windows 7

Comment

I checked the md5sums and it was perfect.
                    Originally posted by bweinel View Post
                    Just a thought here... Did you run a CD check on the live CD before you tried to load it? It sounds like your CD may be corrupted (or your CDROM player has issues reading it.)

You should be able to insert the live cd into the CDROM player, reboot the system, and get to the LIVE cd menu. There is a 'check CD for defects' item which you can select that should verify wheather your CD is good. IF it fails on the machine your trying to load you can do the same on another machine to verify wheather it is the CD or the CDROM drive.

See https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCD and https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BurningIsoHowto for more details and helpful graphics...

cheers,
                    bill

Comment

I deleted it as you suggested. When I opened Kate, I did not find the entry, if it was there when I deleted the repo. What did I accomplish by deleting that entry? Is it a needed repo? I can see that it accomplished what I requested in my post, but I think my post title was wrongly entered.

What I want is for my cdroms to be properly installed and free of problem. Continually getting the error messages about them when in the konsole was irritating, as well as, I did not know the ramifications of the unmounted entry. So, I don't really think I wanted to remove the repo, just the problem that was evidenced in the error message. My lack of understanding of some things relating to computers is embarrassing, but still when an error seems to repeat itself, I want to solve the problem, even if I don't understand it's ramifications. Thanks for the help. I am just not sure I solved the real problem.
                      Originally posted by Achaean View Post
                      Go to Settings -> Software & Updates.
                      Can you see the cd repository there?
                      Disable or delete it.

If you can't see it there, from konsole give
                      Code:
                      kdesudo kate /etc/apt/sources.list
                      If you can see it here, comment it out (writing an # at the beginning of the line), or delete it.

Comment

If you deleted it from "Software & Updates" (the GUI method), it is normal that you couldn't find it when you examined sources.list with kate (since you already deleted it).

Do you have any further problems now?

Comment

This is what happens when I attempt to add apt-cdrom (I installed my Kubuntu 13.04 CD when they requested installation of a CD, was that correct?):

Unmounting CD-ROM
                          Waiting for disc...
                          Mounting CD-ROM...
                          Originally posted by Shabakthanai View Post
                          This is what I get when I run the command "sudo apt-get update"

Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs

[/B]

Unmounting CD-ROM
                          Waiting for disc...
                          Mounting CD-ROM...
                          Unmounting CD-ROM
                          Waiting for disc...
                          Mounting CD-ROM...
                          I confirmed that apt is installed and the newest version. Can you tell, from this, what is wrong, other than just me?

W: Failed to fetch cdrom://Kubuntu 13.04 _Raring Ringtail_ - Release amd64 (20130424)/dists/raring/main/binary-amd64/Packages Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs

W: Failed to fetch cdrom://Kubuntu 13.04 _Raring Ringtail_ - Release amd64 (20130424)/dists/raring/multiverse/binary-amd64/Packages Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs

W: Failed to fetch cdrom://Kubuntu 13.04 _Raring Ringtail_ - Release amd64 (20130424)/dists/raring/restricted/binary-amd64/Packages Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs

W: Failed to fetch cdrom://Kubuntu 13.04 _Raring Ringtail_ - Release amd64 (20130424)/dists/raring/universe/binary-amd64/Packages Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs

W: Failed to fetch cdrom://Kubuntu 13.04 _Raring Ringtail_ - Release amd64 (20130424)/dists/raring/main/binary-i386/Packages Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs

W: Failed to fetch cdrom://Kubuntu 13.04 _Raring Ringtail_ - Release amd64 (20130424)/dists/raring/multiverse/binary-i386/Packages Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs

steven@Yeshuah:~$ sudo apt-get install apt
                          Reading package lists... Done
                          Building dependency tree
                          Reading state information... Done
                          apt is already the newest version.
                          0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 10 not upgraded.

Comment

Working...
                          X