This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need to find a mouse compatible with Linux

My dad supposedly got a new Logitech mouse and discovered that Logitech mouses aren't compatible with Linux

My Logitech M570 wireless mouse works just fine with every Linux distro I've tried. Other Logitech trackball type mice have worked just as well. Someone else will have to help you discover why your dad's Logitech mouse isn't working with Linux.
    Linux User #454271

Comment

Yeah, I've never heard of any recent mouse not working with linux. The interfaces are bog standard these days, if USB all HID devices.

We need the specific model of the mouse and how its connected - almost certainly USB.

In regards to your actual question - "What mouse is compatble with linux", basically any modern USB mouse.

Comment

Using a Logitech right now. Did he actually try it or did he just look at the packaging? The package probably says that its only compatible with Windows and Apple, but it should work with Linux too.

Comment

Piling on...

...I've yet to run into a mouse that didn't work. USB, wireless, bluetooth, even PS..

Please Read Me

Comment

I'll speak out of hand here, but if it's a 'standard' three-button mouse, it will work. If it's a fancy 'many-button' mouse, then there could be issues getting it fully configured.
            Windows no longer obstructs my view.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Another thought, some of these devices come with an installation CD which of course contains a Windows executable file. If you insert the CD, the program on the disk will not run, so an end user might think they can't install the device in Linux.

Comment

My Logitech "Marathon" M705 wireless mouse is almost (*) completely functional in Kubuntu without my having had to configure anything. Just plugged it in and it worked.

(*) The third thumb button (button 10 (of 10)) doesn't seem to be recognised. However, because I almost never use the two thumb buttons that do work, I'm not much concerned about the one that doesn't. Everything else about the mouse works just fine, including the tilt-wheel.
                sigpic
                "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
                -- Douglas Adams

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                  I'll speak out of hand here, but if it's a 'standard' three-button mouse, it will work. If it's a fancy 'many-button' mouse, then there could be issues getting it fully configured.
                  A while ago I would have agreed with this totally, but since 2010 or so my mouse has been fully configured right out of the box. It's got the tilt-wheel and two extra buttons.

Please Read Me

Comment

I have a Logitech Performance MX. To configure the non-standard buttons you can use Easystroke. It is in the repos. The only thing you might have an issue with is a lack of easy DPI switching. You could try try combining lomoco and Easystroke for pretty much the same experience as you'd have on Windows.

Comment

I had plenty trouble with newer kernels until I found this Logitech mouse/keyboard combo, which is cheap and the specs. state support for Linux kernels 2.6 and above. (Works off USB)

Comment

Should I take it that any trackball will also work? I'm thinking about the Kensington Orbit with scroll ring.
                        'I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.' Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by KudosMatrix7 View Post
                          My dad supposedly got a new Logitech mouse and discovered that Logitech mouses aren't compatible with Linux
                          Since when?!

I've used NOTHING but Logitech trackballs...FOREVER...and have never had a single issue with them not working with Linux. My current trackballs are the M570 Wireless, and they work just fine.
                          Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

Do we all realize that we are all necroposting here?

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                              Do we all realize that we are all necroposting here?
                              Huh?

Also, Can I assume that Logitech touchpads will also work out of the box?
                              'I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.' Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                              X