Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Copy of Lenovo Community Forum solution to UEFI compatibility problem Wiindows/Kubunt

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Copy of Lenovo Community Forum solution to UEFI compatibility problem Wiindows/Kubunt

The reason for this post has been solved, I believe, by Ubuntu developers. I downoaded the daily build for Kubuntu 13.04 and attempted to install on my new build. It installed fast and flawlessly, at least so far. I am sorry I cannot pass on the solution for you to learn from. Thanks for your participation in the resolution of the problem. I am very grateful for your help. Thanks!

Because of the need to re-install the OS, I would like Guru's from this forum to review and give me an opinion as to its viability. Thanks if you are willing. Additionally, it appears reasonably easy to do, especially if it will overcome the current UEFI problems with Dual-Booting Kubuntu/Windows 7.

This is a Lenovo Community forum document.

802.11n
    abvasili
    [Solution!]
    Re: How to install Linux on UEFI systems where GRUB fail to install?
    Options

‎02-08-2012 09:01 PM

Hi everyone,
    I’m writing this because a lot of people out there are facing some issues in installing Linux on a machine that have UEFI capable bios.

A lot are complaining that GRUB is not installing properly, leaving a computer in an unusable state. Usually they get an error message at the startup: “no operating system found”.

I’m sure this is a temporary situation, and Linux distros will find their way to install in UEFI based bios and GPT formatted HDDs as easy as 123.

In a short and simple QA I will try to explain how to fix this:

Question: Why GRUB is not installing properly in my machine?
    Answer: New machines have UEFI capable bios. This means that by default MS Windows is installed in UEFI mode and this requires a GPT formatted Hard Disk. At the present GRUB cannot install itself in GPT partition table. Some new distros, with kernel 3.0 and above are reported to support UEFI.

Question: How to make GRUB work in my machine?
    Answer: You should convert your HDD from GPT partition table to MBR partition table (or MSDOS in Linux) and after that install your Linux OS.

Question: How can I convert my HDD from GPT to MBR partition table?
    Answer: You can use Ubunu or another Ubuntu based distro in live mode. In live mode, find the program GPARTED. Wait until it recognizes all your drives and select your HDD. Right click over it, and choose the option to create a new partition table. Choose MSDOS from the list. Hit ok than apply/commit all changes. ATTENTION this will erase all your data and MS Windows (or any other OS) will disappear. Your HDD is now converted in MSDOS or MBR. You can now boot your preferred distro, create your partition scheme and install Linux.

Question: Do I need to make any changes to my bios settings?
    Answer: If you have a capable UEFI and LEGACY bios, put the bios in Legacy boot only or Both enabled with Legacy boot first.

I hope this little QA will be of help. If any question may arise or more help is needed, post your questions here, I will try to help you further (if I can).

Best regards

Abvasili

Last edited by Shabakthanai; May 16, 2013, 07:23 PM.

Useful only if you wish to completely pave and reinstall everything.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
      Useful only if you wish to completely pave and reinstall everything.
      I haven't been able to find the site that is working the problem, so if there has been progress, I haven't seen it. Would this solve the problem, where all I have to do is re-install Windows 7? All the stuff I don't want to lose is on a separate drive. And am I just being a quitter by doing so. Will the system operate better if I wait for the Kubuntu cure?

Comment

That forum post is full of misinformation. Let's dissect it.

Question: Why GRUB is not installing properly in my machine?
        Answer: New machines have UEFI capable bios. This means that by default MS Windows is installed in UEFI mode and this requires a GPT formatted Hard Disk. At the present GRUB cannot install itself in GPT partition table. Some new distros, with kernel 3.0 and above are reported to support UEFI.
        GRUB is certainly capable of installing into GPT -- it has had this ability for some time now. GRUB's os-prober still has problems detecting pre-installed Windows in this case, but that's a different issue.

Question: How to make GRUB work in my machine?
        Answer: You should convert your HDD from GPT partition table to MBR partition table (or MSDOS in Linux) and after that install your Linux OS.
        This is analogous to: "How can I generate solar power from my windmill? You should convert your diesel generator to microbial farm." Yes, this Q&A is one giant WTF.

Question: How can I convert my HDD from GPT to MBR partition table?
        Answer: You can use Ubunu or another Ubuntu based distro in live mode. In live mode, find the program GPARTED. Wait until it recognizes all your drives and select your HDD. Right click over it, and choose the option to create a new partition table. Choose MSDOS from the list. Hit ok than apply/commit all changes. ATTENTION this will erase all your data and MS Windows (or any other OS) will disappear. Your HDD is now converted in MSDOS or MBR. You can now boot your preferred distro, create your partition scheme and install Linux.
        Buried within the answer is a warning that most people will miss, and will then become very upset about: the copy of Windows installed on your computer, and all other files you have, will be removed..

If you have a Windows installation DVD, then following the instructions in the forum post will help you get to a dual-boot setup that's based on MBR and BIOS emulation. You will probably have greater success with this, especially since the 3.8 kernels have a kind of major bug -- they can't write new EFI NVRAM variables. This will be fixed in a forthcoming 3.9 release.

Comment

Working...
        X