X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Format a USB device in kubuntu 13.04

Using kubuntu 13.04 on a 64bit system
    Have a USB stick - USB Kingston DataTraveler 3.0
    Want to use as ext4 using GRUB (legacy - version 0.9x)
    Followed instructions from [HTML]http://www.sysresccd.org/Sysresccd-manual-en_How_to_install_SystemRescueCd_on_an_USB-stick - section
    D) Installation from Linux using an ext3/ext4 filesystem[/HTML]
    I am having trouble with this part:
    sudo mount /media/Kingston
    mke2fs -t ext4 -O ^has_journal /dev/sdf1 <<<THIS DOES NOT WORK!
    mkdir -p /mnt/iso_cdrom
    mount -o loop,exec /home/bumpy/Downloads/systemrescuecd-x86-3.5.1.iso /mnt/iso_cdrom
    cd /dev/sdf1
    sudo cp cd -r /mnt/iso_cdrom
    LOOK FORWARD TO SOME SUGGESTIONS!
    Last edited by Bumpalot; May 12, 2013, 12:16 PM. Reason: Make correction

A suggestion not related to the specific failing command: Kmenu > Applications > System > Startup Disk Creator

Edit: As claydoh pointed out in comment 5, this only works for Ubuntu-based distros, and is no help for System Rescue CD.
    Last edited by ronw; May 12, 2013, 06:01 PM. Reason: Ignorance

Comment

You can't format the drive while you have it mounted.

Insert the drive and wait. DO NOT MOUNT IT. Use sudo mkfs.ext4 /dev/sdf1 (assuming that it is still identified as f1).
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Or you can try partitionmanager (alt+F2 : partitionmanager), a frontend to parted.

Comment

Originally posted by ronw View Post
          A suggestion not related to the specific failing command: Kmenu > Applications > System > Startup Disk Creator
          Note that this only works on Ubuntu based distros, you can try unetbootin(found in the normal repositories), which can create a bootable usb stick for most types of iso images.

Comment

Am taking your suggestion of using UNetbootin.
            Need your advice:
            Have downloaded it, Here is the opening screen:
            Click image for larger version

Name:	unetbootin scr1.png
Views:	1
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	640353
            Since my USB stick shows in /media but is empty.
            The UNetbootin screen is requesting a Drive (cuurently showing /dev/sdc1 & /dev/sdd1) which obviously means I need to do something with the USB stick. What are the required next steps?

Comment

You have to determine which usb drive connected to your computer is the flash drive (sdc1 or sdd1). Probably the easiest way is to unplug your flash drive, note which entry goes away in unetbootin. Plug the drive back in and verify. If still unsure, unplug the other usb drive if you can. Once you have selected the correct drive, just click "ok"

Comment

Here's the technique I use for unetbootin.

1. Insert thumb drive. Do not mount or do anything else.
                2. Open terminal and type "dmesg" This will tell you right away the device letter assigned and how many partitions are on the device. You will actually see a list: i.e. SDJ1, SDJ2, SDJ3, etc.
                3. Re-format the partition I'm using: "sudo mkfs.ext2 /dev/sdj1"
                4. Then, mount it. Clicking on the device in the Device Notifier works perfectly.
                5. Launch Unetbootin, select my distro or downloaded ISO file.
                6. 9 out of 10 times, Unetbootin selects the correct device - but visually verify is: "/dev/sdj1"
                7. Click OK.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                  Here's the technique I use for unetbootin.

1. Insert thumb drive. Do not mount or do anything else.
                  2. Open terminal and type "dmesg" This will tell you right away the device letter assigned and how many partitions are on the device. You will actually see a list: i.e. SDJ1, SDJ2, SDJ3, etc.
                  3. Re-format the partition I'm using: "sudo mkfs.ext2 /dev/sdj1"
                  4. Then, mount it. Clicking on the device in the Device Notifier works perfectly.
                  5. Launch Unetbootin, select my distro or downloaded ISO file.
                  6. 9 out of 10 times, Unetbootin selects the correct device - but visually verify is: "/dev/sdj1"
                  7. Click OK.
                  That's exactly how I do it, and I would say 10 out of 10 times unetbootin selects the correct device -- /dev/sdf1 in my case. I think formatting it ext2 first is part of what makes unetbootin happy with it.

Comment

In my case, I make multi-bootable thumb drives or drives both bootable and usable by Windows for data so I sometimes have to select sdj2 or 3

Please Read Me

Comment

Heck I just try to describe the quickest, simplest easy way, you guys just add extra steps
                      You guys and yer Linux, always having more than one way of doing things and making everyone happy, you crazy cats

Comment

No, your method requires I actually reach over to my USB port and pull-n-plug and pull-n-plug.

Waaaayyy tooo much work!

Please Read Me

Comment

Last time I checked (and it's been a while), Unetbootin couldn't properly create a UEFI-bootable USB. Has this been fixed?

Comment

Thanks guys for sticking with this!
                            Have successfully installed my usb stick using Unetbootin... a most excellent suggestion and program.
                            Thanks for all your assistance.

Comment

Working...
                            X