X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

old pc without CD + without USB

Hi

My PC is not really as old but both seems don' t to work any more, react not any more.
    For this reason, I will try to install from the mini ISO 29 Mb (i686).

a. What is to do to unpack the mini ISO if possible using bash only
    b. then start frugal
    c. install only the real most minimal kubuntu (I use kde only for an only one purpose: turn my screen by 90 grad to make screen snap shots of land maps! But I don't know some other way to do that easily on my PC)
    d. without to have to format the target partition (I will preserve all the stuff beeing in /home/my ; my will not be my user name in kubuntu!), my /mnt/sda5 (ext4) as well as
    e. without to have to really install grub2 (it is already preinstalled on the hard disk and I will preserve it as it is and only add an entry in my /mnt/sda3/boot/grub/grub.cfg . The preinstalled linux does not use the extended use of grub but install a power full maintenance system braking if I install a next linux without some precautions!

what is the correct entry for ubuntu for that making it can work without claim?

kind regards.

occidental:

I guess it depends on how old your machine is.

Have a look at this.

If your machine is pre-Pentium Pro, you may be out of luck. What processor does it have?

I didn't understand totally from your post whether your problem is the lack of CD drive, or whether it is such an old machine that the processor is now considered to be ancient. If it is a CD issue, external CD drives are available. I used one to install Kubuntu 12.04 to an Asus Eeepc 901 successfully.

Frank.
    Linux: Powerful, open, elegant. Its all I use.

Comment

Hi Frank

Thank you to spend time to try to help me.

Originally posted by Frank616 View Post
      occidental:

I guess it depends on how old your machine is.

Have a look at this.

If your machine is pre-Pentium Pro, you may be out of luck. What processor does it have?

I didn't understand totally from your post whether your problem is the lack of CD drive, or whether it is such an old machine that the processor is now considered to be ancient. If it is a CD issue, external CD drives are available. I used one to install Kubuntu 12.04 to an Asus Eeepc 901 successfully.

Frank.
      1. I did begin and finish my installation yesterday myself because it did go easily (differently of my old experiences with ubuntu).

2. And all seems to works excepted kwave (starts but broke immediately).

3. I have not Pentium but a relatively slow Celeron one and Intel-Chips set

4. I did open the mini ISO with Puppy Linux (one hit on the ISO and it is open) and copy it's files into a directory /ubuntu

5. and add an entry into my grub.cfg:

menuentry "Ubuntu installation (on /dev/sda5)" {
      set root='(hd0,5)'
      linux /ubuntu/linux pdev1=sda5 psubdir=ubuntu
      initrd /ubuntu/initrd.img
      }

6. and did start using grub.

7. I only did install the base and after that,

8. using tasksel, only the printer server.

9. I did have luck: The installer did not arrive to reinstall grub!

10. nxt step I did add my new Ubuntu in /mnt/sda3/boot/grub/grub.cfg

menuentry "ubuntu "{
      set root=(hd0,6)
      linux /vmlinuz root=/dev/sda6 quiet rw
      initrd /initrd.img
      }

then I did complete the installation in steps:

11. aptitude install jwm xorg leafpad
      12. xinit
      13. startx
      14. aptitude install calligra konqueror in x-terminal-emulator

15. it was soon possible to use as well calligrawords as konqueror in jwm (seems really like jwm) using the CLI in x-terminal-emulator

f. ex. # konqueror &

16. aptitude install sane ksane kturtle kde-workspace-bin

it was no possible to

17. # startkde

(but not possible any more to access to jwm)

18. for this reason I did immediately install kdm. at installation time, aptitude did give me the choice between 2 versions "kdm" and an other display manager (seems to be a reduce version of kdm). I did try the seconde one and I am happy. this is better as the original one (but i did reinstall and this choice was not proposed any more!!! I did loose this better version of the display manager... terrible! The rest of the second installation did be as good as the first one...)

19. after that, I did add more applications: gwenview okular kmix kmplayer gocr ocrad (kwave starts a very short time and doesn't stay on the screen, probably crashes).

my problems are now that I don't know how to

- 20. change kdm as I did made at the first installation

- 21. add correctly adobe flashplayer Version 11.2.202.280

(I did loge libflasplayer.so in a from me created sub dir /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins where it is in some installations)

- 22. as well as java

(it is in /usr/lib/jre1.7.0_21 but the right link to make it able to be find is not available; I don't know where it has to be placed! I kind only remember some what about /opt but I can't remember what exactly)

kind regards

Comment

searching in aptitude again did show me following info:

sudo aptitude search nonfree*
        p bsdgames-nonfree - Rogue, das klassische Kerker-Erkundungsspi
        p celestia-common-nonfree - Unfreie Dateien für Celestia, eine Weltrau
        p context-doc-nonfree - ConTeXt-Dokumentation, welche nicht DFSG-f
        p context-nonfree - Unfreie Elemente der ConTeXt-Distribution
        p dahdi-firmware-nonfree - unfreie DAHDI-Firmware
        v flashplugin-nonfree -
        p flashplugin-nonfree-extrasound - Adobe Flash-Player Plattform-Unterstützung
        p fonts-ipafont-nonfree-jisx0208 - Japanische TrueType-Schriftart, IPAfont (J
        p fonts-ipafont-nonfree-uigothic - Japanische TrueType-Schriftart, IPAfont UI
        p linux-firmware-nonfree - Unfreie Firmware für Linux-Kernel-Treiber
        p sweethome3d-furniture-nonfree - Interior 2D design application with 3D pre
        p t1-xfree86-nonfree - Unfreie PostScript-Type-1-Schriften aus XF
        p texinfo-doc-nonfree - texinfo and info documentation that is non
        p ttf-xfree86-nonfree - nicht freie TrueType-Schriftarten von XFre
        p ttf-xfree86-nonfree-syriac - Unfreie syriac-OpenType-Schriftarten von X
        v tuxtype-data-nonfree -
        p unace-nonfree - Extrahieren, testen und betrachten von .ac
        p xtide-data-nonfree - Gezeitendaten für Xtide (Kanada, Niederlan

and i did try

sudo aptitude install flashplugin-nonfree-extrasound

this did reinstall flash. the same. but create new links in /etc/alternatives (and perhaps in more subdir I did not already found) with other links showing to /usr/lib/flashplugin-installer !

and a new piece of libflashplugin.so is now installed in that directory

als well as a new link to /etc/alternatives/... in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins named flashplugin-alternative.so.

after that, http://www.openstreetmap.org/edit?ed....49764&zoom=16
        did start (=flashplayer is now available) but the result is half as wide as usual, also completely deformed.

what can I do know?

Comment

Occidental:

This is beyond my skill level. Hopefully someone else will be able to help you out here.

Frank.
          Linux: Powerful, open, elegant. Its all I use.

Comment

Thank you very much Frank!

Meanwhile I did try all possible plugins found in aptitude, especially gnash (konqueror-plugin-gnash), try other brothers (rekonq, midori). All show the same effect: The views on the advertisements, videos etc. produced by flashplayer are only half wide as usual and the colours are permuted as in green/red glases for 3D (but without 3D view, sorry...)!

As I have a version of Mozilla with her own preinstalled and very well tested libflashplayer.so, I did link it and start it with her own ~/.mozilla/... ! this version works perfectly in (all) other Linux'es I am using. Also there is the view half wide as usual so I suppose it is a problem outside of flash player but in the KDE communication or xorg!

Comment

Working...
            X