X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nepomuk and Virtuoso not working correctly in 13.04

Hi all

My nepomuk and mates don't seem to be working as they should. The sementic info for instance in Dolphin is not updated at all (when I click on 'accessed yesterday' for instance nothing is shown etc.)

No matter when I look at the amount of files indexed it always shows 90.

When I open kmail my CPU usage goes crazy with the virtuoso process using more than 50% total usage split over four cores (two cores maxed). As this is a laptop this obviously destroys battery life.

For now I disabled nepomuk but would really like to use it though....

georgelappies:

If you want to index your hard disk, may I recommend recoll? I've not found that Nepomuk does anything for me other than to consume processor cycles. Recoll is available in the Kubuntu repository. It is VERY FAST in indexing, and almost instantaneous in search. An amazing product.

Frank.
    Linux: Powerful, open, elegant. Its all I use.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank616 View Post
      georgelappies:

If you want to index your hard disk, may I recommend recoll? I've not found that Nepomuk does anything for me other than to consume processor cycles. Recoll is available in the Kubuntu repository. It is VERY FAST in indexing, and almost instantaneous in search. An amazing product.

Frank.
      Thanks Frank, I will check it out.

Comment

Recoll is great at searching but nothing more. Heck, I honestly think Nepoogle is the best search client around but its Nepomuk based. Anyways, have you enabled semantic desktop features? Is this a new install or an upgraded install?

Comment

Nepomuk & Timeline

(with the Kubuntu 13.04/KDE 4.10.2/Dolphin 2.2)

Nepomuk is not indexing files

Maybe this helps: http://askubuntu.com/questions/28605...indexing-files

Timeline

By the http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Nep...laves#Timeline

Timeline

The timeline KIO slave shows file which have been modified in a specific date range.
          The Dolphin has it wrong - it is not: 'Recently Accessed'

The nepomuk is staring the modification time - a quick test:

Copying a file (Test-Modification-Time.png)- it is not shown in the timeline kio. Touching /1/ it with the -m option.

The timeline is showing the file as 'Today'.

Jumping tomorrow (date/clock settings)

and the timeline is showing the files as 'Yesterday'.

Workaround

For those who want to use the 'Recently Accessed' is to touch the files and change the modification time.

Example with the VLC:

Starting the KDE Menu Editor and adding to the VLC the touch part:
          Code:
          touch %U; /usr/bin/vlc %U
          and the 'Recently Accessed' is starting to fill.

1)

man touch

NAME
          touch - change file timestamps

SYNOPSIS
          touch [OPTION]... FILE...

DESCRIPTION
          Update the access and modification times of each FILE to the current time.

A FILE argument that does not exist is created empty, unless -c or -h is supplied.

A FILE argument string of - is handled specially and causes touch to change the times of the file
          associated with standard output.

Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short options too.
          -m change only the modification time
          Last edited by Rog131; May 12, 2013, 07:32 AM.
          Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
          1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
          2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Originally posted by Rog131 View Post
            (with the Kubuntu 13.04/KDE 4.10.2/Dolphin 2.2)

Nepomuk is not indexing files

Maybe this helps: http://askubuntu.com/questions/28605...indexing-files

Timeline

By the http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Nep...laves#Timeline

The Dolphin has it wrong - it is not: 'Recently Accessed'

The nepomuk is staring the modification time - a quick test:

Copying a file (Test-Modification-Time.png)- it is not shown in the timeline kio. Touching /1/ it with the -m option.

The timeline is showing the file as 'Today'.

Jumping tomorrow (date/clock settings)

and the timeline is showing the files as 'Yesterday'.

Workaround

For those who want to use the 'Recently Accessed' is to touch the files and change the modification time.

Example with the VLC:

Starting the KDE Menu Editor and adding to the VLC the touch part:
            Code:
            touch %U; /usr/bin/vlc %U
            and the 'Recently Accessed' is starting to fill.

1)

man touch
            Rog131, thanks so much for an extremely thorough explanation and reply, it is most appreciated. The above indeed solves the issue I had with no files showing up in there. Another thing I had to do was to explicitly select linked folders in the nepomuk setup; as by default if one selects '/home/myusername/' and have the music and video folders 'ln -s' into '~/' nepomuk doesn't traverse those links...

dmeyer, thanks it is on a clean 13.04 install.

I will post the CPU usage going crazy when kmail is launched in another thread as it is actually a separate issue altogether

Comment

dmeyer:

Recoll is great at searching but nothing more.
              I admit that I am pretty ignorant here, but what more does Nepomuk offer? I always considered it to be a file indexing tool.

Frank.

Comment

dmeyer:

Recoll is great at searching but nothing more.
                I know that I am pretty ignorant here, but what more do Nepomuk / Strigi offer? I always considered them to be file indexing utilities.

Frank.

Comment

dmeyer:

I admit that I am pretty ignorant here, but what more does Nepomuk offer? I always considered it to be a file indexing tool.

Frank.
                  Tagging, SPARQL queries, context awareness, more advanced metadata handling, ratings, virtual folders, time lines just to name a small subset.

Comment

dmeyer:

Tagging, SPARQL queries, context awareness, more advanced metadata handling, ratings, virtual folders, time lines just to name a small subset.
                    I guess if you need any of that, it would be a great product. One of these days I'll have to look into it again. I didn't find it that useful last time I tried it. Lots of processor cycles with what, for me, were limited results.

Frank.

Comment

dmeyer:

I guess if you need any of that, it would be a great product. One of these days I'll have to look into it again. I didn't find it that useful last time I tried it. Lots of processor cycles with what, for me, were limited results.

Frank.
                      Yeah it is a tad resource intensive but I have a powerful laptop with an SSD so I don't notice the resource usage. On a weak Pentium 4 or something I can see it being a problem.

Comment

dmeyer:

Yeah it is a tad resource intensive but I have a powerful laptop with an SSD so I don't notice the resource usage.
                        Yeah, me too. Dell M6600 i7 bought last year, and I put in an OCZ 245 GB SSD in the primary bay, and put the 750 GB mechanical drive in the secondary bay. To their credit, Nepomuk / Strigi do stop indexing when you actually use the machine. But the disk light was on a lot when it was not in use.

But, man, Recoll is SO quick by comparison.

Frank.

Comment

dmeyer:

Yeah, me too. Dell M6600 i7 bought last year, and I put in an OCZ 245 GB SSD in the primary bay, and put the 750 GB mechanical drive in the secondary bay. To their credit, Nepomuk / Strigi do stop indexing when you actually use the machine. But the disk light was on a lot when it was not in use.

But, man, Recoll is SO quick by comparison.

Frank.
                          Quick? That's a small understatement. Recoll is space-time bending quick. Nepomu no longer uses strigi which has lead to much improved performance in 4.10. I do see the Nepomuk2 as really being a great asset once it gets finished. The biggest issue with Nepomuk is the lack of tools that allow you efficiently use it.

Comment

Working...
                          X