This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3 TB Hardrive

Hi folks how is everyone? Annoying little problem and I have googled this and keep getting some weird and wonderful fixes which I wouldn't try with a 10ft bargepole lol. I have a 3tb drive that is windows formated as gpt partition, Kbuntu sees my other drives no problems all are sata, I have a 240gb ssd drive as my main and only kbuntu installed the latest 13.04? when I open the partioner to look at whats going on I see 2 small partitions of about 100mb ea then a 2700 plus gb partition trouble is when I click on these partitions everything is greyed out mmmmmmmm and there seems to be a little issue of speed between ssd and sata I made entries which I found here and has improved a fair bit but transferring a tb file and im getting 28mb/s sec seems a tad slow better then the bloody 1.5mb/s sheesh, any way if there is a way to look at this drive I would appreciate any help I would not want to reformat it to a linux disk it has a lot of my multimedia files on it thanks.

G'day M8 just a stab in the dark here as I'm pretty much still a newbie could there be a permission issue? Is ya system a duleboot with win-__? If so does Win-__ still recognise the drive? Also just saying (not that these things don't happen) I've never had an issue with any linux distro reading into windows drives for me its been the other way around with windows having issue with looking into linux.

Comment

Originally posted by ockertom View Post
      Hi folks how is everyone? Annoying little problem and I have googled this and keep getting some weird and wonderful fixes which I wouldn't try with a 10ft bargepole lol. I have a 3tb drive that is windows formated as gpt partition, Kbuntu sees my other drives no problems all are sata, I have a 240gb ssd drive as my main and only kbuntu installed the latest 13.04? when I open the partioner to look at whats going on I see 2 small partitions of about 100mb ea then a 2700 plus gb partition trouble is when I click on these partitions everything is greyed out mmmmmmmm and there seems to be a little issue of speed between ssd and sata I made entries which I found here and has improved a fair bit but transferring a tb file and im getting 28mb/s sec seems a tad slow better then the bloody 1.5mb/s sheesh, any way if there is a way to look at this drive I would appreciate any help I would not want to reformat it to a linux disk it has a lot of my multimedia files on it thanks.
      When you installed your SSD, did you add the file system to the larger drive? I suspect you would use ext4 for the 3TB drive. If you did not designate and activate that drive when you installed, it would not work until you do.

Open GParted using the GParted CD and click on the 3TB drive. Make sure the drive is ext4 and mounted properly. When you previously used the 3TB drive, what mount point did you designate for the drive? If it was /home, like perhaps it should be, also make sure the mount point is /home. Close GParted and restart. If the things I mentioned were not done before, it should boot to an activated drive. Make sure you DO NOT format that drive or your Boot (/) partition.

I may have answered questions that did not exist, but if they were accurate, it should work now.

Comment

Please be more precise in your descriptions. For example "When I click on these partitions..." Click on them how? In what program? When you say "Kubuntu sees my other drives..." Sees how? What does that mean? At a minimum, you should also give the basic specs of your system; brand, components, etc.

To your issue: Remember Linux is not Windows. Windows defaults to letting everyone have access to everything. In Linux, this is not so. Linux defaults to a secure system. It is expected that if you have the password and admin rights, it is your job to control access. Therefore, there is nothing to "fix." Rather, you need to learn the steps to gain access to these partitions, or more correctly - filesystems.

Kubuntu as it currently is, has no problem with GPT disks and you should be able to access the Windows partitions without much trouble. Just guessing - but the small partitions you're seeing are likely recovery and/or UEFI stuff for Windows and are best left alone until and unless you decide to remove Windows from your life altogether.

This topic has been discussed 100's of time here, but it comes up a lot so I'll start anyway. Basic access of a filesystem requires a place to mount it, permission to mount it, and permission to use it. As with all thing in Linux, there are several ways to do this and which way is best depends on your needs. I'll make a few assumptions about where and how you want to do this. You can change these assumptions to suit your needs. I prefer using the terminal for most of this - it's much faster than slogging through GUI program and the results - or errors - are immediately visible.

First, let make sure the thing works. Open the terminal program called Konsole and type the command listed in bold below in it:

1. Create a mount point: sudo mkdir /mnt/windows
        2. Try and mount it: sudo mount /dev/sdb3 /mnt/windows

I assumed your partition/filesystem is on the second drive and is the third partition. Open your partition manager and check this for yourself. The device name will appear in the details window when you select the target partition.

Command #2 may result in an error message, like "filesystem type unknown" or something else. If not, it's mounted and should be browse-able in Dolphin. At this point, you may not have write permission but you should be able to "see" what's on the partition. Whether or not you want write access is up to you.

I assume you do not want to re-type these commands every time you boot into Linux. To make it available at every boot you must edit the file /etc/fstab and add an entry so that it's there when you want it. This file is owned by root so you must edit it this way:

Once again, in the terminal:

kdesudo kate /etc/fstab

This will open a text editor with your fstab file opened and ready for editing. Go to the bottom of the file and add this line:

/dev/sdb3 /mnt/windows ntfs rw,noauto,user 0 0

Obviously, change the /dev/sdb3 to match your actual partition device name. Make sure to leave a blank line (carriage return) after this line at the end of the file. Linux expects most text files to have a blank line at the end. You may get a parsing error if you don't.

After your next reboot, this should allow you to open Dolphin, click on the partition (it should appear under "Devices") and have full read/write access to it. It will not mount it by default ("noauto" does this) but will allow you to mount it without using root level security via "sudo." If you want more security, there are other ways of doing this - just detail how you'd like it to work and I'm sure someone will help.

Please Read Me

Comment

Um I got rid of kbuntu and I did say the 3tb drive was formatted as ntfs "windows" click on now I open the partitioner in kbuntu it shows my other drives because it can read mbr as I said I am not going to format this drive under linux too much stuff on it, and my ssd was my main drive, but it sees the gpt partition as grey not there at all I do know how to format and action drives under linux, but I have lost so much data when I have made my system 100% linux I gave up so thanks for the angry and useless replies have a nice day OH used linux for over ten years I just though it would be able to recognise drives over 2tb without having to format the bloody thing to nix, and as I read in numerous google searches unless you use gparted and format it to ext 4 you are buggered with larger drives thanks anyway have a life and I reall dont see wtf the specs on my computer have to do with a drive!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Um I got rid of kbuntu and I did say the 3tb drive was formatted as ntfs "windows" click on now I open the partitioner in kbuntu it shows my other drives because it can read mbr as I said I am not going to format this drive under linux too much stuff on it, and my ssd was my main drive, but it sees the gpt partition as grey not there at all I do know how to format and action drives under linux, but I have lost so much data when I have made my system 100% linux I gave up so thanks for the angry and useless replies have a nice day OH used linux for over ten years I just though it would be able to recognise drives over 2tb without having to format the bloody thing to nix, and as I read in numerous google searches unless you use gparted and format it to ext 4 you are buggered with larger drives thanks anyway have a life and I reall dont see wtf the specs on my computer have to do with a drive!!!!!!!!!!!!
            YOU are the one giving useless replies !!
            @oshunluvr gave you good and sound advice and did not say anything about reformatting your drive ,
            you dont halve to format it ,,,,just learn how to mount it .

a ten year vet of linux would know this ,,,,,,

VINNY
            i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
            16GB RAM
            Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

@ockertom:

We are generally a very welcoming bunch. But to insult those who help you in your second post here is likely not going to help you obtain the results you wish. Because we aren't sitting next to, the only information we have from which to offer assistance is the details in your description. More is always better.

Writing with punctuation, sentences, and paragraphs helps, too. We are not 4chan or Reddit.

There is a bug in the KDE partition manager that prevents it from manipulating GPT drives. Kubuntu won't update this package until KDE itself does, and KDE hasn't yet seen fit to let it go beyond SVN status. You will need to use command line tools or GParted to manipulate GPT disks.

Comment

Working...
              X