This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about Motherboard temperature [CPUSocket]

Do I need a water-cooler for my CPU due to the 1/3 higher temperature in the motherboard socket and the processor? 30 C vs. 40 C.

I am awaiting the ability to install Kubuntu in my new build. Currently the OS is Windows 7, an alternative while waiting for Ubuntu to fix UEFI problems during the transition. In any event, I now have an 8 core processor and have been unable to understand the significance of having a Motherboard (CPUSocket) temperature running much higher that other components in my new computer. The motherboard is an AsRock 990FX Extreme4. Currently the CPU is operating at 30 C while the motherboard(CPUSocket) is operating at 40 C. My HDDS are operating at 29 C and 30 C respectively and the SSD is not being measured for temperature. Additionally, there don't appear to be heat sensors on the Video Card, which is a 2048MB DDR5 AMD Radeon HD 7850 (XFX Pine Group).

I expected high temperatures due to the high processor speed, but do not yet understand the significance of their differences. I also have 16gb of DDR3 1866 RAM, which also is not provided with temperature information.

I have a Zalman cooler for the CPU and 6 fans cooling my system, but I was wondering if I should have a water cooler for the CPU due to the higher CPU Socket temperature. I do not play games, even though I downloaded a couple that were included in the purchase of the Video Card, and have not attempted any overclocking. I love the speed of the new computer and want to take advantage of its capabilities without damaging the components using improper care. Thanks! I suppose I need help from a Gamer, but I haven't even heard of a Linux gamer. At least they do not seem to make mention of their game interests on this forum.

You're obsessing, at least a bit. 30-40c is a normal and safe temperature range. Besides, a full water cooling set up will cost more than a replacement CPU and/or motherboard in most cases.

My advice? Relax a little.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
      You're obsessing, at least a bit. 30-40c is a normal and safe temperature range. Besides, a full water cooling set up will cost more than a replacement CPU and/or motherboard in most cases.

My advice? Relax a little.
      lol I am not all that tense, I just want to learn. And, it wouldn't be too bad if I knew, when I tried the overclocking feature, that I would not burn up something by not preparing properly in the first place. It just seemed that difference of 1/3 in temperature between the socket and the CPU might be a sign of something not working properly. Never had anything so close to cutting-edge before, and don't want to break it before it gets broken in.

I have avoided most computer games until now (and took a look because it was free), however the graphics and sound of the Bioshock game is beautiful, and I want to try it. Have you ever played one of these games? It is a very creative medium. I am a life-long fine-artist, now retired. It gave me a new interest I wasn't expecting. Thanks for the input, my friend. I will try to stop chewing my nails and tearing my hair out now. There are three or four of those providing help on this forum that are irreplaceable. You are definitely one of them.

Comment

Overclocking can be done on air if you watch your temps and don't go crazy. I would step up a little at a time and watch the temps. If you idle in the safe range, you should be able to handle a gaming session without burning anything up. True overclockers budget for burned hardware and know that this is the chance they are taking. If you can afford to replace the parts or be without your computer for a week waiting for them to arrive, have fun. If not, I wouldn't do it.

I have a water cooling setup, but it's 8 years old and I've been doing it for a long time. I does require some maintenance, a lot of patience to assemble properly, and it ain't cheap. The main reason I went with water was my "office" is just outside my bedroom door in the hall and the fan noise was noticeable at night.

Also, I am using a CPU that's almost 10 years old. The newer Intel and AMD CPU's simply don't put out the heat that my Q6600 does. My CPU is O/C'd to 3GHz (stock is 2.4) and my video cards are also bumped up in the 25% range. I used to run as high as 3.8GHz but the system is too old to withstand that now. When I finally upgrade, I am considering switching back to air as the CPUs are more efficient and the air cooling devices are much improved.

If you're still worried about heat or experience some temp rise when you start gaming, I would look first at a better air cooler and increasing the over-all airflow through your case with better fans (like Corsair AP and SP series fans) and analyzing the air flow and pressure. Your actually more likely to see an increase in GPU (video card) heat from gaming than CPU. What really gets my CPU hot is video transcoding. I was ripping my entire DVD collection to video and I would rip a DVD while encoding two or three others at the same time. I swear the entire room would warm up during those sessions! Another option if you upgrade your fans is to include a fan controller. Then you can increase fan speed when needed, but lower the noise when not.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
          Overclocking can be done on air if you watch your temps and don't go crazy. I would step up a little at a time and watch the temps. If you idle in the safe range, you should be able to handle a gaming session without burning anything up. True overclockers budget for burned hardware and know that this is the chance they are taking. If you can afford to replace the parts or be without your computer for a week waiting for them to arrive, have fun. If not, I wouldn't do it.

I have a water cooling setup, but it's 8 years old and I've been doing it for a long time. I does require some maintenance, a lot of patience to assemble properly, and it ain't cheap. The main reason I went with water was my "office" is just outside my bedroom door in the hall and the fan noise was noticeable at night.

Also, I am using a CPU that's almost 10 years old. The newer Intel and AMD CPU's simply don't put out the heat that my Q6600 does. My CPU is O/C'd to 3GHz (stock is 2.4) and my video cards are also bumped up in the 25% range. I used to run as high as 3.8GHz but the system is too old to withstand that now. When I finally upgrade, I am considering switching back to air as the CPUs are more efficient and the air cooling devices are much improved.

If you're still worried about heat or experience some temp rise when you start gaming, I would look first at a better air cooler and increasing the over-all airflow through your case with better fans (like Corsair AP and SP series fans) and analyzing the air flow and pressure. Your actually more likely to see an increase in GPU (video card) heat from gaming than CPU. What really gets my CPU hot is video transcoding. I was ripping my entire DVD collection to video and I would rip a DVD while encoding two or three others at the same time. I swear the entire room would warm up during those sessions! Another option if you upgrade your fans is to include a fan controller. Then you can increase fan speed when needed, but lower the noise when not.
          That is just wonderful input. Thanks!

I have already considered air flow and have great fans. The one that adds air to the CPU area and the after market heat sink, is 4 pin and turns itself on and off with two speed variations too. I notice that when the temps are low, it just sits there silently. I have an exhaust fan at the back of the computer and one that vents to the side to take heat from both the CPU and the Video Card. My two front fans are pushing air through the HDD"s and the SSD, I don't plan on overclocking at all unless I end up with a video game that can use the extra speed. For most of my normal uses, which seem similar to yours, I have my processors set at 4.2GHz right now.

The data says I can pretty much go to 5 GHz without too much problem, with the cooling system I currently have.

I guess my main concern is that the CPU is in contact with a socket that remains a good 10 C higher. That did not sound either good or proper. But I don't know if that is unusual and have not seen anyone talk about that type of situation.

If you consider upgrading again, I recommend my new case. Two of the fans that I have and the after-market heat sink have speed adjustments. When they are on their highest settings, I can just barely hear them. It is not offensive at all. The reason is because I have a new computer case that was designed for quiet. Additionally, I noticed that when I increased the speed of various fans, sometimes heat would increase rather than reduce temperature. I can see there must be a required balance between air that is drive towards items as well as the fans that are venting the heat. But let me get back to my case. I just love it. My previous case was an Antec 300. It was a nice mid size case and I really liked it. My new case is a couple of inches deeper and an inch wider and made of steel, so it weights a little more. Nevertheless, it has insulation fixed to the inside and unless your fans are at increased speed to the highest settings, you cannot hear a sound. That is really nice. The case is a "Fractal Design" Define R4, in case that interests you.

I paid $122 for mine, and a week later, it was on sale at Newegg for $79 with shipping included, so I missed out a bit there. After owning it for over a month now, I would pay $50 more than I paid to have the same case if it was necessary. I like it that much.

Everything I purchased came radically down in price just after purchase. The case reduced $50, the processor $50, the Video Card$70, so I could save $170 just rebuilding now providing the items are still on sale.

I have never had any interest in Video Games, however, two games were provided free with my purchases. One of them is called Bioshock. I played it about an hour and found it quite interesting. The graphics show at the beginning showed what a great system I have. Incredible is all I can say. The graphics of the whole program are extreme high quality too with excellent audio. In fact every movie when previously played in HD appears improved about the same as from regular to HD once more improved.

I am still having problems installing Kubuntu in a dual-boot configuration. Kubuntu apparently has some work to do with EUFI or EFi??, I don't understand much about that, other than it is difficult to get Kubuntu installed. I can't wait though, because the improvement will surely be awesome over Windows 7, which I have to use now.

I really appreciate the additional information. It answered a lot of questions I failed to ask. I hope what I included will be of benefit to you.

Cudos, my friend.

Comment

Our cases are very similar. I don't see the measurements anywhere, but your looks a bit wider than mine in the pics. I upgraded my case to a Corsair Obsidian 550D last year. It has the right combo for me of almost a totally blank facade, metal construction, and built-in mounts for my radiator and fans internally. It's solid, easy to set up, and quiet. Yours looks like I might have picked it had I found it when I was shopping. One nice feature mine has is the front door opens either direction.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811139012

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
            X