X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Programs not opening after upgrading to 13.04

Hi,

i have a problem that i'm unable to solve, namely a program (SciTE-GTK based Text editor) that refuses to open. The bouncing icon appears, a panel appears in the task manager, the bouncing icon disappears and the task manager panel keeps working then disappears altogether.

I've tried removing, purging and re-installing but no joy, the same thing keeps happening. It worked perfectly under 12.10.

The kernel has updated since the upgrade.

Desktop system, AMD dual core CPU running 64bit OS
    NVidia GTS250 graphics card with 310.44 driver.

I have a similar problem with an IDE i was assessing, but at the moment updating and testing and ruby programs/scripts is a complete pain.

any help appreciated.

If you launch the program from the konsole you could get valuable information to solve the problem (that is - error messages).

Earlier - [SOLVED] Where are error messages from programs launched from the K menu?: http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthr...rom-the-K-menu
    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Originally posted by Rog131 View Post
      If you launch the program from the konsole you could get valuable information to solve the problem (that is - error messages).

Earlier - [SOLVED] Where are error messages from programs launched from the K menu?: http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthr...rom-the-K-menu
      I've tried the terminal prior to my original post and prior to posting this reply, both as user and sudo. The terminal seems to freeze, ie. it moves to a new line, but no message is displayed and the prompt doesn't return.

Comment

Interesting

Installing the scite -

:~$ apt-cache policy scite
        scite:
        Installed: 3.0.2-3ubuntu1
        Candidate: 3.0.2-3ubuntu1
        Version table:
        *** 3.0.2-3ubuntu1 0
        500 http://fi.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ raring/universe amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
        Trying to launch the SciTE - It seems that the SciTE is running. It is in the process list but it is not showing the gui. This could be a conflict with the GTK theming in the KDE. Why there is no error message - beats me.

A workaround: Search the scite from K-Menu and launch the SciTE from the 'Run scite' button.

Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
        1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
        2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Originally posted by Rog131 View Post
          Installing the scite -

Trying to launch the SciTE - It seems that the SciTE is running. It is in the process list but it is not showing the gui. This could be a conflict with the GTK theming in the KDE. Why there is no error message - beats me.

A workaround: Search the scite from K-Menu and launch the SciTE from the 'Run scite' button.

Thanks Rog131,

that seems to work most times with the occasional repeat of the problem. I've worked around not being able to edit language property files by opening dolphin as root from the terminal and adding myself to the permissions of the files that i need to edit.

Do i need to mark this as solved?

Comment

Working...
          X