Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help ! - How can i copy to my hard drive without needing to be root all the time ?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help ! - How can i copy to my hard drive without needing to be root all the time ?

Hi ,

I have been having this problem for awhile now, however, it`s gotten to a point where it needs to be solved.

I have 4 hard drives , all of which are able to read-write i.e. copy and paste, except one.

I have to kdesu dolphin and then search for the drive to be able to copy etc.

This is no good if you need to copy directly to that drive ! The other drives are full . Thie drive is relatively new , a 2 tb WD.

P.S. The drives are mounted automatically , so i don`t understand why this is the case with this one.....

Help needed here please and thanks.
    Last edited by kdeuser; May 03, 2013, 11:22 AM.

Need more information. Are these internal drives? External drives connected via USB or eSATA cables? How were the drives formatted? What file system types?

Comment

Hi Steve and thanks for responding,

The drives are all internal and my machine has an auto installation facility . The machine auto formats to jfs.

Hope that helps.

Comment

Originally posted by kdeuser View Post
        my machine has an auto installation facility . The machine auto formats to jfs.
        Can you describe this "auto installation facility" more? I don't know what you mean.

And I have to wonder why you've chosen JFS, which was intended primarily for large database servers. It's not under much development anymore, other than occasional bug fixes.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
          Can you describe this "auto installation facility" more? I don't know what you mean.

And I have to wonder why you've chosen JFS, which was intended primarily for large database servers. It's not under much development anymore, other than occasional bug fixes.
          Due to all these questions, it`s clear that the custom kubuntu my hybrid ( pc/vdr ) , is slightly different than the normal functioning Linux distro.

You select `hard drive conf`from a menu and it runs you through the set-up . The only real bit of selecting is the format and this can be jfs / ext4 / ext3 / ext2 . I select jfs because i haven`t really had problems with it and i don`t see myself running windows. The wizard then partitions and mounts the drive.

Comment

Due to all these questions, it`s clear that the custom kubuntu my hybrid ( pc/vdr ) , is slightly different than the normal functioning Linux distro.
            Or it could be that we're not quite yet writing with the same terminology usage. As an example of what I mean, keep reading.

You select `hard drive conf`from a menu and it runs you through the set-up.
            Because I'm not sitting there next to you, I can't make any sense of what specifically you mean here. During what procedure do you see this menu? Is it during the Kubuntu installation process? Or are you running some kind of application? To what sort of "set-up" do you refer?

The only real bit of selecting is the format and this can be jfs / ext4 / ext3 / ext2 . I select jfs because i haven`t really had problems with it and i don`t see myself running windows.
            Well, none of these file systems is supported by Windows, if that's your concern. EXT4 receives a lot more development attention than JFS and is tuned for general-purpose usage. Unless you have a specific need for something else, it's best to stick with that.

The wizard then partitions and mounts the drive.
            Which wizard?

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
              During what procedure do you see this menu? Is it during the Kubuntu installation process? Or are you running some kind of application? To what sort of "set-up" do you refer?
              No, i don`t see this menu in the installation process , it is a sub-menu of another menu called ` Installing hard drive `, which is the application . I referred to the automatic partitioning and mounting of drive on my os a `wizard` because it walks you through each step.

I need this drive just like my other 3 to be read-write. There must be a simple way of achieving this, surely ?

Comment

check permissions on your mount point.
                check your /etc/fstab for rw flag on that drive.
                Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
                (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

What might help is knowing what customization you are using , as you mention it is not a "normal" Kubuntu, that includes this tool we are unaware of. There might be a setting or config we can find that might help. A screenshot of the tool(s) could help, too. Some might also be interested in checking out what you are using as it might be useful to them

Comment

Originally posted by sithlord48 View Post
                    check permissions on your mount point.
                    check your /etc/fstab for rw flag on that drive.
                    Hi, i had some more pc problems ( ironic ) so i made another post to solve that.

I went into /etc but i couldn`t locate fstab therefore, i don`t know if i have rw permissions.

I did type in `find file ` the word `fstab` but nothing turned up .

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                      What might help is knowing what customization you are using , as you mention it is not a "normal" Kubuntu, that includes this tool we are unaware of. There might be a setting or config we can find that might help. A screenshot of the tool(s) could help, too. Some might also be interested in checking out what you are using as it might be useful to them
                      Hi, i am using an adapted version of Lucid 10.04 with software specially built for the machine i`m using. This version wouldn`t run on a normal pc due to the tweaks for my hybrid.

It has a pcb called a `Netceiver` because it has the ability to run 6 separate tuners, be it tv , cable , satellite or a combination.

The tv part which is called the vdr is basically for viewing normal television plus access to all multimedia. It is here were the menu for the install of hard drive/s is/are.

I am trying to find a way of copying that page.

Comment

Working...
                      X