This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Filename settings

Can someone explain how I might be able to fix/change how filenames are saved? I am specifically talking about things that get downloaded. I use Firefox and from time to time when I download a file, the filename gets changed from the original name format, or truncated, or both.

An example of a photo would be: vintage+housewares+westinghouse+1960s+toaster+Pars imonia+1.jpg
    which then automatically removes all the “+” and substitutes normal spaces so it ends up like
    vintage housewares westinghouse 1960s toaster Parsimonia 1.jpg
    I'm fine with it leaving out the “+” symbols but usually I end up with weird things going on.

Videos from youtube that appear on screen like:
    Rasmus Faber & Syke'n'Sugarstarr - We Go Oh (Official Video HD)

end up adding underscores in place of spaces and non-roman characters like this, as well as truncating the filename
    Rasmus Faber _ Syke_n_Sugarstarr - We Go Oh (Official Video .mp4

I thought it might have something to do with the original encoding because I have a lot of videos from outside the US, but many of the US ones do the annoying underscore replacement as well.

So my question is, what controls this behavior? Is it Linux?, KDE? Firefox on Linux? The source it's downloaded from? I never had this problem with Firefox on Windows so somehow on this system something should be able to be manipulated.

Any suggestions or ideas?
    Kubuntu 18.04.3 LTS -- KDE 5.12.9
Working...
X