This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I get rid of the login password?

I do not want to have to enter a password every time my mc comes out of suspend. I went to system settings/account details/change password but it won't let me enter a blank pw nor a simple 4 digit one. My computer never leaves the house and I don't understand why the Linux uberlord demands a password when even windows does not. It is after all MY choice. I am using Kubuntu 12:10 and checked the box for 'login automatically' on the install. Is there a konsole script that allows it?

I think what you're looking for is "disable screen lock" not removing your password.

As far as the "Linux Uberlord" (love that title BTW) goes, it's more the Ubuntu/Kubuntu Uberlord. Every distro is developed by, well, it's developers. They make decisions like requiring passwords and the like. While you are certainly free (unlike Windows) to go about removing such a basic security item, I doubt you'll get much assistance from the developers on how to do it.

Please Read Me

Comment

Thanks. I have never used screen lock, I see it in the 'Leave' menu, but I always use 'sleep'. Or the computer goes into that state when I leave it for a while. Waking it up from that is when it requests the password. Windows, I have a windows 7 machine, does not do that, it just goes straight back into the screen I was working on.

Comment

Password-less Login

Ubuntu Community AutoLogin: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AutoLogin
        ...If you want to bypass the login password, there is an Auto Login function you can set and use...

Howto Enable Automatic login for Gnome and KDE:: http://linux.digitalsp.com/2009/08/h...for-gnome.html
        It often very convenient to set up a Linux computer so that a user can boot it (i.e., start it up) and have it proceed directly to a GUI without any need for manually logging in...

LightDM - one clik and one pull down menu

KDE System Settings > Login Screen (LightDM) - General tab

Screen Locker - KDE 4.10

Bug 310871 - Screen always locks (requires password) even if not supposed to: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=310871
        --> Bug 315442 - Unlock dialog appears even when password is not required: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=315442
        Last edited by Rog131; May 03, 2013, 10:12 AM.
        Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
        1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
        2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Originally posted by kinloch39 View Post
          Thanks. I have never used screen lock, I see it in the 'Leave' menu, but I always use 'sleep'. Or the computer goes into that state when I leave it for a while. Waking it up from that is when it requests the password. Windows, I have a windows 7 machine, does not do that, it just goes straight back into the screen I was working on.
          Just a quick check, do you have "Lock screen on resume" ticked in SystemSettings>PowerManagement>AdvancedSettings?

Comment

KDE System Settings > Login Screen (LightDM) - General tab

Screen Locker - KDE 4.10

Thanks, I found this screen but it not solve the problem. It still requires the password on resume.

Comment

Thanks, I found this screen but it not solve the problem. It still requires the password on resume.
              System Settings > Display and Monitor > Screen Locker and ensure that Require password after is not checked.
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle View Post
                Just a quick check, do you have "Lock screen on resume" ticked in SystemSettings>PowerManagement>AdvancedSettings?
                Thank you so much! That did it. There is no PowerManagement section under System Settings in Kubuntu 12:10 (at least not in mine ) but I found the 'Configure Advanced Power Management settings in the KDE Control Module which did have that "Lock screen on resume" setting.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                  System Settings > Display and Monitor > Screen Locker and ensure that Require password after is not checked.
                  It was not checked.

Comment

There is no PowerManagement section under System Settings in Kubuntu 12:10 (at least not in mine ) .
                    I take that back it is under System Settings/Hardware.

Comment

However it has solved the issue of a password on Restart. So this solves the restart, and the lock screen uncheck solves the resume.

Comment

Working...
                      X