Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I reformat without my name and password?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I reformat without my name and password?

I left my comp for two years then came back, let Linux update, only to realize I was forced to put my name and password in but I can't seem to remember my username. Is there a way to just reformat and make a new one or am I screwed? Thanks

Reformat? Do you mean wipe out the hard drive? No reason why you can't reformat and reinstall or use GpartedLive to reformat. If you boot to a LiveUSB or CD, it won't search your hard drive for passwords.

If you want to keep your current install, you can boot into recovery mode and reset the user password.

Please Read Me

Comment

Hmm, how do I boot in recovery mode and do I need to remember my username?

Comment

Originally posted by KudosMatrix7 View Post
        Hmm, how do I boot in recovery mode and do I need to remember my username?
        No, see http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/resetpassword for a guide to recovering your username and resetting your password.

Comment

Yes!!!! For some reason it told me there was a password authentication error but I knew my password and just not my username which this method allowed me to discover, so I got in!

Thank you so very much, I thought I was screwed for a bit there, thank you a million times over

Comment

Working...
          X