X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing new programes through Muon [package manager and sofware center]

Hello!

I'm really new, as this is my first post. I've been using Kubuntu on my laptop for over a year now and I'm very pleased with it.

However lately I've been having problems with installations in muon. Whenver I try to install something it all goes well (it informs me of the requirement of changing some installed packages), but after the package(s) is (are) supposedly installed it turns out that they in fact are not. If I try again, the same thing happens all over again. I'm not sure how to repair that.

Because of the nature of the problem it's hard for me to provide you with any pictures...

Welcome to KFN.

What are some of the programs you have installed with Muon Package Manager that you believe aren't actually installed?
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
      What are some of the programs you have installed with Muon Package Manager that you believe aren't actually installed?
      I wanted to start coding again (after a long time away from it), so I was trying to install IDLE (the 2.7 and 3.2 version).

PS: Thank you for the welcome!

Comment

If you used Muon Package Manager (recommended over Muon Software Center) and selected IDLE for installation, then it is installed. The actual execution package is idle-python2.7. IDLE is a dependency package.

The application is in the K Menu under Development.

Comment

Is your issue actually that idle hasn't appeared in your kmenu?

Open a terminal (konsole) and type idle and enter.

If you get:

The program 'idle' is currently not installed.
          You can install it by typing:sudo apt-get install idle
          then it's not installed.

If it is installed, you may have to make your menu entry.

Please Read Me

Comment

It is definitely not installed. I do not even have a ''Develpment'' section in K menu.

I did try installing it in Konsole. Here's what happened:

Reading package lists... Done
            Building dependency tree
            Reading state information... Done
            You might want to run 'apt-get -f install' to correct these:
            The following packages have unmet dependencies:
            ia32-libs : Depends: ia32-libs-multiarch but it is not installable
            idle : Depends: python (>= 2.7.3-0ubuntu7) but 2.7.3-0ubuntu2 is to be installed
            Depends: python-tk (>= 2.4.3-3) but it is not going to be installed
            Depends: idle-python2.7 but it is not going to be installed
            nspluginwrapper : Depends: nspluginviewer (= 1.4.4-0ubuntu4) but it is not installable
            wine1.4 : Depends: wine1.4-i386 (= 1.4-0ubuntu4.1) but it is not installable
            N: Ignoring file 'eduke32.lis' in directory '/etc/apt/sources.list.d/' as it has an invalid filename extension
            N: Ignoring file 'eduke32.lis' in directory '/etc/apt/sources.list.d/' as it has an invalid filename extension
            E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution).

Comment

What version of Kubuntu are you running, and what version of KDE?

Comment

as well as what @Snowhog has asked ,,,,,what other sources have you added to your system (like 'eduke32.lis') and why, where, how ,did you add and get them ?

likely this is source of your problem !!

VINNY
                i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                16GB RAM
                Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

I'm not really sure which version of both I have. I've been wanting to check on how to check that, but then I forgot. I tried
                  kde4-config -v
                  and I got this:

KDE Development Platform: 4.8.5.

''cat /etc/issue'' returns this:

Ubuntu (I'm guessing it's because the basis is the same) 12.10

Also Eduke is supposed to be a freeware port of duke nukem 3d, but I never got it to work. How can I delete it from the sources?

PS: Thank you all for helping me.

Comment

Originally posted by AkaMartin View Post
                    Also Eduke is supposed to be a freeware port of duke nukem 3d, but I never got it to work. How can I delete it from the sources?

PS: Thank you all for helping me.
                    Open a console and type:
                    Code:
                    sudo rm /etc/apt/sources.list.d/[COLOR=#333333]eduke32.lis[/COLOR]
                    That will remove the sources file for Eduke. Then type:
                    Code:
                    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
                    This will up date the package cache and check for updates to installed software.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                      Open a console and type:
                      Code:
                      sudo rm /etc/apt/sources.list.d/[COLOR=#333333]eduke32.lis[/COLOR]
                      That will remove the sources file for Eduke. Then type:
                      Code:
                      sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
                      This will up date the package cache and check for updates to installed software.
                      Done, thank you. However I am still unable to install any new packages.

Comment

Muon is a great package manager but at times like this the command line in konsole gives better feedback about problems.

Start (as always) with the update and dist-upgrade commands and in case of errors post them here.
                        Code:
                        sudo apt-get install
                        Code:
                        sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
                        You can join them as explained in an earlier post.

In the case of no errors, this would likely mean updates were available and successfully installed, you should continue with the install command for one of the wanted new packages.
                        Code:
                        sudo apt-get install [I]packagename[/I]
                        If nor sure about the package name you can find it via Muon.

Again, when errors show up report them here, if everything goes smooth, good luck :cool:

Comment

sudo apt-get install
                          the result:

You might want to run 'apt-get -f install' to correct these.
                          nspluginwrapper : Depends: nspluginviewer (= 1.4.4-0ubuntu4) but it is not installable
                          E: Unmet dependencies. Try using -f.

And when I try
                          sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
                          the exact same thing happens.

I tried installing IDLE, the problems are as follows:

idle : Depends: python (= 2.7.4-0ubuntu1) but 2.7.3-0ubuntu2 is to be installed
                          Depends: python-tk (>= 2.4.3-3) but it is not going to be installed
                          Depends: idle-python2.7 but it is not going to be installed
                          Breaks: python (< 2.7.3-1~) but 2.7.3-0ubuntu2 is to be installed
                          E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution).
                          Any solutions?

Comment

and what happens when you do
                            Code:
                            sudo apt-get -f install
                            VINNY
                            i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                            16GB RAM
                            Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

This:

Reading package lists... Done
                              Building dependency tree
                              Reading state information... Done
                              Correcting dependencies... Done
                              The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
                              lib32bz2-1.0 libreoffice-l10n-common libaccess-bridge-java libgail18 diffstat libgmime-2.6-0 lib32ncurses5 libgucharmap7 libgnomecanvas2-0 libx264-116 lib32tinfo5 ubufox desktop-file-utils
                              libgnomeui-0 libglew1.5 libburn4 libdee-1.0-4 python-zeitgeist libzeitgeist-1.0-1 libindicator3-7 zeitgeist-datahub zeitgeist lib32ffi6 lib32gcc1 libappindicator3-1 lib32asound2
                              libaccess-bridge-java-jni libexempi3 extremetuxracer-extras libvpx0 libtotem-plparser17 tcl8.5 libquvi7 lib32ncursesw5 libgnomeui-common zeitgeist-core libnautilus-extension1
                              libbonoboui2-0 brasero-common timidity-daemon libquvi-scripts libid3tag0 html2text timidity lib32z1 libmusicbrainz4c2a libjte1 lib32stdc++6 openoffice.org-common libkms1 libisofs6 sqlite3
                              libmail-sendmail-perl libbonoboui2-common libsys-hostname-long-perl indicator-application libgnomecanvas2-common libsmpeg0 libtiff5 libjbig0
                              Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
                              The following extra packages will be installed:
                              gcr gir1.2-freedesktop gir1.2-glib-2.0 glib-networking glib-networking-common glib-networking-services gnome-keyring libc-dev-bin libc6 libc6-dev libc6-i386 libgck-1-0 libgcr-3-1
                              libgirepository-1.0-1 libglib2.0-0 libgnutls26 libjbig0 libnih-dbus1 libnih1 libp11-kit-gnome-keyring libtasn1-3 libtiff5 python-gi
                              Suggested packages:
                              glibc-doc gnutls-bin python-gi-cairo
                              The following packages will be REMOVED:
                              ia32-libs nspluginwrapper q4wine skype wine wine1.3 wine1.4 wine1.4-amd64 wine1.4-common zsnes
                              The following NEW packages will be installed:
                              gcr libjbig0 libp11-kit-gnome-keyring libtiff5
                              The following packages will be upgraded:
                              gir1.2-freedesktop gir1.2-glib-2.0 glib-networking glib-networking-common glib-networking-services gnome-keyring libc-dev-bin libc6 libc6-dev libc6-i386 libgck-1-0 libgcr-3-1
                              libgirepository-1.0-1 libglib2.0-0 libgnutls26 libnih-dbus1 libnih1 libtasn1-3 python-gi
                              19 upgraded, 4 newly installed, 10 to remove and 1440 not upgraded.
                              8 not fully installed or removed.
                              Need to get 0 B/15.5 MB of archives.
                              After this operation, 120 MB disk space will be freed.
                              Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
                              Preconfiguring packages ...
                              dpkg: error: parsing file '/var/lib/dpkg/status' near line 19919 package 'zsnes':
                              mixed non-coinstallable and coinstallable package instances present
                              E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (2)

Comment

Working...
                              X