Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help ! i need flash 11 but can not lose flash 9 ?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kdeuser:

The hybrid is called a Reelbox which is a multimedia including 2 sat cards , 1 tv card and a fully operational kubuntu fiesty 7.04. This was bought in 2008 and a few months later an update to 8.04 hardy .
    I got caught in the same trap when I bought my Dell M6600 from a Linux VAR. They too loaded a custom-kernel version of Ubuntu / Kubuntu on the machine, and my hands were tied afterward trying to keep it up to date. I'll never do that again.

However, I kept testing releases, and finally found that the 12.04 alpha would boot on the machine. When 12.04 was released, I moved to that, and was finally able to cut my ties with the VAR.

The easiest solution for you would probably be to write the company -- in English snail mail if needed, and ask them what to do, letting them know of your difficulty with their forum. Perhaps they will have a fully updated OS for you, or at the least, can tell you how to go back to 8.04, and still upgrade Flash.

If that does not work, and you still want to keep the box, then it might be wise to obtain the make and model information on the sat and TV cards, and see if they are currently supported in Linux. The fact that they worked on 8.04, and the GPL which requires that modifications to Linux get posted back to the community suggests that drivers for those cards should be commonly available today.

If the hardware is supported, and there are no custom applications that are needed to make the product work (those can be outside the GPL), then you might want to try installing 12.04.

The third possibility may be to see what is available for media-oriented distros. A quick Google turned up these 5. Media-oriented distros may be packaged to support the hardware better. I've never looked into these, but it gives you an option.

That said, I'm not a linux guru. My abilities probably end here as to being able to help you. Perhaps someone else here with greater understanding than I may jump in here. I'm sorry that I can't help you further, but I just don't know enough. I will continue to monitor this thread, however, and will jump in again if I can contribute something of value.

Frank.
    Linux: Powerful, open, elegant. Its all I use.

Comment

Hi everbody,

In the end it was simple. There are are 2 ways :

- Install Synaptic Package Manager - Click on Reload and enter Firefox. Not only was the latest version installed , so too was Flashplayer ( 11.2.202 ).

- With this option you go straight to Mozilla and download the .tar.bz2 V.20 package and extract the libflashplayer.so file only.

Copy and paste using root permissions to /.mozilla/plugins folder.

That`s it.

( Note, still can`t get rid of flash 9 so i disabled it in ( tools / add-ons / plugins ),

Comment

kdeuser:

I'm so glad you found a solution to this. I didn't think it would be a hard thing to do. I just didn't know WHAT needed to be done, or what tools the manufacturer of the unit was making available to you.

Synaptic has to have its repositories set so that it can get the right packages for your system. Did you have to reset that, or add a repository from the manufactuer? Are you back with 8.04, or are you using something more recent?

Frank.

Comment

Hi Frank,

I just put `sudo apt-get install synaptic ` , into the console and synaptic was installed . I figured it was my OS as firefox 3.6.24 was in there ; I then clicked reload and scrolled down Synaptic finding many packages which could be updated. Firefox happened to be the one i needed , which inturn installed the latest flash for 10.04.

You may have guessed i am not on 8.04 . I0.04 has it`s glitches but i have noticed videos play better .

Regarding those glitches, i will try and iron them out in the next few days and post in a new thread the one`s that i can`t get rid off.

Cheers.

Comment

kdeuser:

If you can upgrade to 12.04, it is worth it. You've already made the big step from 8.04 to 10.04. That gives you KDE 4 instead of KDE3, as well as the ability to use PPA's (Personal Package Archive). These are third party repositories of compiled programs that will run on the version of Kubuntu that you are using -- basically an extension to the standard Canonical repositories. I would think that the manufacturer of your system, if still staying up to date, would use such a repository to keep your machine updated.

I gave up on 10.04 because KDE 4.x in that version was still not fully mature. 12.04 is much better.

Frank.

Comment

Working...
            X