Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help ! i need flash 11 but can not lose flash 9 ?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help ! i need flash 11 but can not lose flash 9 ?

Hi,

I have limited to zero ability in kubuntu - I apologize beforehand.

I have installed version 10.04.3 but my os also says i am up to date running 12.12.1. I was using 8.04 ( a joy ).

I would like to get rid of flash 9 and place libflashplayer.so 11 in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/.

Problem when i drag the new libflashplayer.so into the above directory i get access denied. I also can not delete any of the contents of that directory.

In 8.04 i just went to the directory got root access and i could delete and insert. I thought the same or even easier way in 12.12.1 - logical assumption ( so i thought ).

Would someone know of a simple way of achieving this.

Thanks and i apologize again because i am sure this is kinder-garden tech.

Type into a terminal "kdesu dolphin". Then you are running dolphin as root. Be warned though that you can mess up your system if you delete or move something you shouldn't so be careful.

P.S. What is wrong with the flash in the repos?

Comment

kdeuser:

Thanks and i apologize again because i am sure this is kinder-garden tech.
      We all start somewhere. Any question is a good one, and will be treated with the dignity that it deserves. Don't be afraid to ask.

I am a bit curious, however, having stuck with 8.04 myself for many years at my place of work. Are you trying to update 8.04, 10.10, or are you using 12.x somethingorother? I didn't understand fully from your post.

Linux moves very rapidly, and both the 8.x and the 10.x series are very old. 12.04 is the current long-term support release, and I've been using it on all my personal machines. I agree that the 8 series was one of the best. But 12 has it beat.

Frank.
      Linux: Powerful, open, elegant. Its all I use.

Comment

Originally posted by dmeyer View Post
        Type into a terminal "kdesu dolphin". Then you are running dolphin as root. Be warned though that you can mess up your system if you delete or move something you shouldn't so be careful.

P.S. What is wrong with the flash in the repos?
        Thanks for answering . I realize that i can and have messed up the os before. I was trying to install the .net framework on 8.04 when it all went to a virtual grave.

Here i am again trying - again with 12.12.1 ( that`s what my os say`s ), however, i aw the word lucid lynx in my sources o am i running 10.04.3 with a 12.12.1 software pack ?

The flash in the repos is 11.2 and is enbled but why are my plugins showing flash 9 intalled ?

Comment

Originally posted by Frank616 View Post
          kdeuser:

Are you trying to update 8.04, 10.10, or are you using 12.x somethingorother? I didn't understand fully from your post.

Frank.
          My os say`s that i am on lucid lynx porting the latest stable release. I am sure that won`t make too much sense , LoL.

Thanks for the kdesu dolphin , that worked but having downed the latest flash 11 and installing , my os still showed flash 9 and the ` please update flash ` just will not go away..

Help !

Comment

kdeuser:

You are on 10.04, the previous LTS version. I abandoned that one early as the version of KDE that it came with was not fully baked yet, and I had a lot of issues with it. 12.04 has been good, and is well worth the upgrade. IIRC, you can skip directly from one LTS version to another during an 'in place' upgrade. Normally, one has to go through each iteration from 10.04 to 10.10, to 11.04 to 11.10 to 12.04 (unless you just wipe and install again). However, someone check me on that.

In the final analysis, Flash is dead anyway (as is Silverlight). No further development is being done on it by Adobe. However, I realize that it is still needed for a lot of sites.

Frank.

Comment

kdeuser:

my os still showed flash 9 and the ` please update flash ` just will not go away..

Help !
              FWIW, what I did was to install the Flash Aid extension for Firefox. This handy little extension manages Flash for you. It deletes old versions, installs the latest available, and keeps it updated. If this is what you are looking for, then look for it in the Firefox "Tools" menu under "Add-Ons".

If you use Chrome as your browser, Google keeps that up to date for you. No fuss, no muss.

Frank.

Comment

Flash-aid is not supported anymore and this app would have been interesting.

I have installed the Chrome Browser but i don`t like the fact that you have to log in to get functionality . It seems Google want to keep track of you and i don`t like that.

Another point - where are the apps ? adblock, noscript ? There doesn`t seem to be a task bar.

All things taken into consideration i will be going back to 8.04. The reason for the change of distro was to try and get the .net framework. I hit some keys and messed up wine resulting in apps like virtualdub not working well.

I will make a fresh install.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Comment

If ready to make a fresh install why not go with the current, either the 12.04 Long Term Support or the latest end greatest 13.04?
                  As I see it this is the only way to have the most recent patches without having to go through hoops.

B.t.w, not long ago I had an issue with one site reporting my version of Flash was insecure, I downloaded and installed the latest update but accessing this site via Firefox kept reporting I was using an older version.
                  (For me it was an easy drag and drop to ~/mozilla/plugins , running it from the / home has it's advantages.)
                  It was only after I installed the latest Flashplugin installer (via Muon, not Fireox plug ins) the website recognised the correct version of Flash...
                  Last edited by Teunis; Apr 20, 2013, 05:38 AM.

Comment

Teunis:

It was only after I installed the latest Flashplugin installer (via Muon, not Fireox plug ins) the website recognised the correct version of Flash...
                    That may be the solution.

Frank.

Comment

Originally posted by kdeuser View Post
                      Flash-aid is not supported anymore...
                      I used to use flash aid, and it solved a problem for me, but then the updates through muon started to work, if a little clunkily: a yellow icon would appear in the tray, inviting me to complete the install, which, to my surprise, worked.

Regards, John Little
                      Regards, John Little

Comment

My thanks go to Teunis and jlittle for the `muon` app - this actually works. I typed `about lugins` the latest flash 11 showed it was installed . However, that flash 9 was also still there.

I didn`t test the flash on any site as i had to leave.

When i returned my pc had gone into lock mode but when i entered my pass the desktop was in 1280 x 1024 , where as before i set it to 1024 x 768 - my preference.

I was shown a pop-up screen with plugins which needed installing . I said no as these apps had been installed. I open firefox and no apps , i had to start from zero.

I have to do this every time and i am getting frustrated at the unuser friendliness of this os.

What and How can i fix this.

Thank you all for this priceless help .

Comment

I spoke too soon, it seems flash 9 is still rooted somewhere and nuon is saying it`s installed. I re-installed and went to addons > plugins , then typed aboutlugins but flash 9 doesn`t want to leave home.

Off topic here, I attempted installing 8.04 but on upgrading the sources list from internet an error occurred from monster-reel and i had to re-install. Needless to say this just kept looping.

I am stuck here. 10.04 doesn`t work properly and my faithful 8.04 seems as though it`s abandoned me.

I own a media-center running a specially adapted kubuntu software pack . Therefore, as much as i would like to update to 13.04 , i can not. My updates come straight from the pc maker.

Help !!

Comment

kdeuser:

I own a media-center running a specially adapted kubuntu software pack . Therefore, as much as i would like to update to 13.04 , i can not. My updates come straight from the pc maker.
                            OK, I guess I am not understanding something here. You purchased this machine with 8.04 installed from a VAR (Value Added Retailer)? It is a custom install for a specific purpose?

If that is true, is the VAR no longer in business? Are you not able to obtain updates from the VAR? What is there in this 'adapted Kubuntu software pack' that sets it apart from what is currently available in Kubuntu? In other words, what will it do that the current Kubuntu won't? Are you using some version of MythTV?

I can understand why 10.04 does not work for you. As I stated, KDE in 10.04 had a lot of teething problems still. I too abandoned it early. However, I am still not understanding why you tried to install 10.04 when 12.04 is the current long term support version.

If you can provide some answers to ease my confusion, perhaps we can help.

Thanks.

Frank.

Comment

The hybrid is called a Reelbox which is a multimedia including 2 sat cards , 1 tv card and a fully operational kubuntu fiesty 7.04. This was bought in 2008 and a few months later an update to 8.04 hardy .

Th manufacturer is in business but i think support for 8.04 has gone. However, last week before i changed distro i received security updates. Yesterday i tried installing 8.04 and it just gave me an error on a main package but after 5 minutes said sources were upto date ( whatever that ment ).

You will understand better when you Google `Reelbox Avantgarde ` or ` Reelmultimedia `. Problem on this is that it all comes in German. I have tried many times to become a forum member but they don`t like Gmail or Yahoo. I have no idea how to ask a question and the translation into English leaves a lot to be desired.

Your asking what differences there are between standard kubuntu and the Reelbox kubuntu . I can`t tell you, as the hybrid i have isthe only pc i have handled. I haven`t really touched on a normal pc running any version of linux .

I am using muon and it say`s flash has been updated to 11 but i still get flash 9 in my plugins.
                              I have 2 versions of firefox installed , the native one 3.6.24 and an upto date version 20. This could be a reason why i have to configure settings every time.

I would just like my pc to remember how it`s configured, damn it !!

I don`t know how the screen saver is configured. I want a clock on a black background. I have no screen saver at the moment but when the pc locks , all settings are lost.

I am really repentant of changing from 8.04 - seems like once your out you can`t get back in.

Comment

Working...
                              X