This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Failure installing Kubuntu 13.04 64bit and 12.10 64 bit

PLEASE ABANDON THIS POST. NO ONE REPLIES.

AsRock 990FX Extreme4
    AMD 8350 4.2GHz 8 core processor
    16GB dual DDR3 1866 RAM
    XFX R7850 double dissipation 2GB DDR5 PCI Express 3.0
    256GB SSD, TB HDD 6GBs

I believe my problem is related to a UEFI Bios conflict. I have since lost Win 7 when attempting to repair GRUB. This is an edit of the post.

Needless to say, I am having a pretty good time right now.

Just finished completing the new build. Fancy stuff, so I installed Windows 7 to take advantage of the component seller's extra stuff. Everything is working great, excepting my preference is Kubuntu, so I attempted installing Kubuntu 13.04 for a dual-boot configuration, however during the beginning portion of the installation procedure, the install paused at the Prepare point of the installation. I tried 2 additional fresh downloads to be sure I had a good disk. Same solution.

Then I decided to install Kubuntu 12.10 which has been working perfectly on my previous build. Shortly into the installation, the installer crashed.

The steps I followed in the installation process was to Manual install. I set the boot partition as a primary with ext4 file system, checked the box for 'format', and set the mount point '/' without the single quotes. I then created a 'linux-swap'. Next, I set the mount point at /home for the remainder of the SSD. Next, I selected a new HDD, set it as a primary partition, check boxed it for format, and set the mount point as /svpersonal. Then I clicked on 'Install'. After filling in the pertanent personal data, the install started. Shortly after the inistall started, the installer crashed. Can you perhaps see what I did wrong and straighten me out? Thanks!
    Last edited by Shabakthanai; May 01, 2013, 02:03 PM. Reason: I believe my problem is related to a UEFI Bios conflict.

Principally, you attempted to create the needed partitions from within the LiveCD environment. This is not recommended. You are much better off using a LiveCD of GParted to create the partitions you will use first, then reboot using the Kubuntu LiveCD and proceeding with the install.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
      Principally, you attempted to create the needed partitions from within the LiveCD environment. This is not recommended. You are much better off using a LiveCD of GParted to create the partitions you will use first, then reboot using the Kubuntu LiveCD and proceeding with the install.
      I have tried it both ways with the same results, however to confirm once more, I booted GParted, deleted all the existing partitions, applied the changes, set fresh partitions for the new install, closed and rebooted to the Kubuntu 13.04 most recent build.

The same thing happened. The installation was stalled at the point of installation where 'Prepare' is the position of the install. I restarted the computer and put the Kubntut 12.10 DVD in and attempted the install.

On the Kubuntu 12.10 attempt, the same thing happened again. I will provide the actual error message, but the error message did not come up until the screen titled 'Where are you' appeared with the East Coast of the US onscreen in a GUI. I clicked on 'continue' and the following error message appeared:

Title 'Ubi Console Crashed'

ubi-console-setup failed with exit code 141. Further information may be found in /var/log/syslog. Do you want to try running the step before continuing? If you do not, your installation may fail entirely or may be broken. If I retry the error message just reappears.

I have downloaded and made fresh installation DVD's which produce the same result. I am not knowledgeable enough to make suggestions, however, it seems to me that there is something wrong with GRUB. If so, is there a way to fix it?
      Last edited by Shabakthanai; Apr 18, 2013, 02:36 PM. Reason: done more research and have new info

Comment

I have continued to research and attempt to solve this problem.

The new effort caused me to lose access to Windows 7 now.

I thought perhaps there may be corruption in the boot engine. I found how to install and use an application named "boot-repair", using a Kubuntu LiveCD. After I completed the repair, I restarted the computer to a black screen with GRUB Error on it. I suspect any problem that was in the GRUB was repaired, but broke the Windows boot loader in the process. Now I need help repairing the boot so I can at least use the Win7 OS. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
          <interruption>
          May I ask where/why this is so? I have never used a live gparted disk to set up partitions prior to installing linux. Ever.
          </interruption>
          Sorry for the distraction
          Shabakthanai, if you ever give up on your hardware, I will gladly take it off your hands, dude!! . /me is jealous

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
            <interruption>
            May I ask where/why this is so? I have never used a live gparted disk to set up partitions prior to installing linux. Ever.
            </interruption>
            Shabakthanai, if you ever give up on your hardware, I will gladly take it off your hands, dude!! . /me is jealous
            It has been recommended on this forum several times to use GParted to establish partitions, then to install the ISO to those partitions. I do not know why it is better, but I take the advice given to me on this forum. I am not as instructed as they.

I am embarrassed to talk about my new purchase, it looks like bragging; it exceeds my needs and just satisfies my desires. Nonetheless, I mentioned it because knowing the hardware sometimes helps the person who is providing the advice. No matter how easy they make it, I seem always able to screw things up. I had it working about a day before things went amiss. It was wonderful how fast things happened, and the video was amazingly better.

Comment

Replying to move to the beginning again. Hope someone will read the post and with the new information provide some help. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                <interruption>
                </interruption>
                I fixed the boot and now have Windows 7 up and running. In most cases the system is running almost as fast as Kubuntu did. Not in all cases, in that, there are still long waits when updates are installed and boot is not as fast, but clearly I will enjoy the new system until I find how to install Kubuntu in Dual-Boot configuration. Video quality is incredible, and playing Holdem on facebook is not filled with so many lags. In fact, it works pauseless. I bought a new case for it since and re-installed the selfsame equipment in the new container. For my budget it was a bit expensive, but I just love it. It is a Fractal Design R4. So far everything seems to fit, however, I have not stressed the overclocking capabilities nor had the need. It is designed for quiet. The only way I can tell it is running is by either looking at the screen or looking at the LED on the On Button. I even added another fan, but cannot hear it. I wish I could afford to get you a system like this, your comment is the reason.

It is great not having to wait for anything. I had Kubuntu working on the first day the new build was completed. Comparing the two systems, Kubuntu 12.10 and Windows 7, for speed and function, and configurability, there is really no comparison. Kubuntu wins by so many lengths, it really isn't a horse-race. Still I am pretty grateful that I have the Windows OS right now; it was very difficult having such a fine computer and not be able to use it. I am even going to try some video games. I have never played anything but spider solitaire and Texas Holdem so far; most are too violent for my taste, but this machine is so fast, I will try a couple that were given as reward for purchase. In any event, if you read this, I believe a little sacrifice is in order for computer lovers to have a very fast computer. I even restarted Windows 7 and was up and running in about 10 seconds. That was incredible. It was nice to hear from you again, my friend. When I complete my research on the UEFI problem, I will finally have something of value to offer Kubuntu users.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	PartitionWin7ProN.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	640330This screen print was taken from the Windows 7 OS. I hope to show you how Windows views my partitions.

I used Gparted to create the partitions after Windows 7 was installed. Disk 0 is an SSD, 20.51 GB for the OS (/), 15.63 GB for Linux-Swap, and 122.68 GB for my /home partition. Disk 1 is an empty TB 6 GB/s HDD prepared as an alternate if I was unsuccessful getting Kubuntu installed in the SSD. I hope I did things right. Thanks Snowhog.

Comment

Working...
                  X