X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keyboard shortcut for right-click menu

Hi all

In Windows, Shift+F10 opens up the context menu, in the same manner as right-clicking.

I have not been able to find out how to do this in Kubuntu, either in terms of a built-in shortcut or finding an appropriate command to assign a custom shortcut to.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

David

Is it safe to assume that your keyboard doesn't have a Menu Key?

Whether it be a dedicated physical key, or an 'Fn + whatever' arrangement (as noted in the wiki article) :

Some laptop computers include a "Menu" function on the "Fn" key (usually operated by typing Shift+Fn), however, this generally invokes functions built into the vendor's software and is not the same as the key described above. For example, the Logitech Illuminated Keyboard has an Fn key where the Menu key is usually found, pressing which together with its Print screen key (above Home), produces the Menu key function.
    My keyboard is the very same Logitech Illuminated Keyboard mentioned above, and the key combination described works for me to make a context menu appear. If your keyboard, like mine, doesn't have a dedicated Menu Key, maybe it has some similar combination of keys that provide the Menu Key's function.
    Last edited by HalationEffect; Apr 15, 2013, 09:14 AM.
    sigpic
    "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
    -- Douglas Adams

Comment

Thanks for your reply. I've looked into this, and there isn't a menu key and shortcuts such as Shift+Fn and Ctrl+Shift+Fn don't work on either Windows or Kubuntu.

Is there a way to configure Kubuntu to interpret some key combination (I'm thinking Shift+F10 here) as having a particular keyboard value (117, which is apparently the value for the menu key)?

Comment

OK, give this a try:

Go into System Settings, and then into Shortcuts and Gestures. In the Custom Shortcuts section, click the Edit drop-down selector button, and choose New -> Global Shortcut -> Send Keyboard Input.

Next, choose the Trigger tab, and then click the button and set the trigger to Shift+F10. Then switch to the Action tab, and type in "Menu" (without quotes) in the top text entry area.

Then click Apply at the bottom right, and you *should* be set. At least, it works for me; I can now press Shift+F10 and get a context menu.
        sigpic
        "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
        -- Douglas Adams

Comment

Bang on! Thank you very much!

I have played around in Shortcuts and Gestures before, so could have worked part of this out. The one thing I wouldn't have known is to use the text 'Menu' as the action. How did you know that?

Comment

Originally posted by dovder View Post
            The one thing I wouldn't have known is to use the text 'Menu' as the action. How did you know that?
            Honestly, it was guesswork and luck - I looked at a few of the existing shortcuts and noticed that they used plain English descriptions for keys (eg. Shift, Alt, Tab, F10, Left, Right, etc), so first I tried PopupMenu and when that didn't work I tried Menu.

PS. Please mark this thread as 'Solved' using the Thread Tools menu near the top of this page.
            Last edited by HalationEffect; Apr 15, 2013, 12:42 PM.
            sigpic
            -- Douglas Adams

Comment

Working...
            X