Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A little help for those of you who have and use Kubuntu Netflix.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A little help for those of you who have and use Kubuntu Netflix.

I currently run Kubuntu 12.10 64bit OS with KDE 4.9.5. I have enjoyed Netflix on Linux for quite some time now, however, it also seemed to play with some broken play. It would stutter sometimes like the memory was nearing exhaustion.

I am not sure I am explaining this properly but trying very hard to be accurate.

Well, anyway, I recently built a new computer. It is the closest to cutting edge technology I have ever experienced. The processor is an AMD 8350 8core 4ghz and I have 16gb of DDR3RAM @ 1800. I also have a 2gb 256bit DDR5 7850 AMD Video Card, and saying this not to be bragging. It was necessary to explain my surprise. To see how the components were behaving, I install the widgets that monitor speed, temperature, etc. to see how the processor and vid card and ram usage were.

When running Netflix on this minor monster, I noticed that I no longer had any of the brief pauses that I experienced on my previous build, and when I looked at the widget that monitors processor usage, I was extremely surprised to see that with only Netflix running on my computer, 66to 67% of the processors were being used. That is into the 5th core. Additionally 3.8gb of the Dual DDR3 Ram were in use as well. Picture and sound quality are amazing.

Since the system I replaced was an AMD Quad w/4gb of ram, my prior thoughts seemed to be accurate. For those of you who are running slower systems and experiencing the slightly broken play, be aware that it might be your computer causing the stuttering at times, but until the Netflix application is perfected a bit more, those will be natural imperfections.

Those of you who are older, like me, probably use their computers a little more for multimedia applications and the such, so if you also play the Facebook Texas Holdem game, and it contains lots of pauses like the memory is being overrun, it is. That game also still has pause-wait time even while using my new 8 core build.

I hope this wasn't a waste of reading time for most of those who take the time to read it; I just thought those who use Netflix would want to know.

Cudos
Working...
X