Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I add a 3rd computer to my network, including setting up printing config?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I add a 3rd computer to my network, including setting up printing config?

Kubuntu 12.10 KDE 4.9.5

I just built a new computer. I would like to be able to transfer files from any to each. I would like to add the new computer to my printer. So far the new computer works pretty good, just a couple of problems.

When I attempt to install my printer in my new computer, I tried to copy the configuration if my other desktop, but failed.

All three computers run Kubunru 12.10 and KDE 4.9.5. My printer is a Brother HL-2270DW Lazer, B/W. My laptop is dual-boot with Win Vista. I originated my configuration on the Win Vista OS, it was simpler. Nevertheless, it was difficult getting my former desktop computer configured, but I did so with help. For some reason, I am having trouble getting my Kubuntu OS in the laptop properly configured. Brother sends me to Dlink and Dlink sends me to Brother. I also am having trouble configuring my new Desktop computer printer. I need help from a genious. Thanks!

PS: Are there commandline instructions that do all the work? The 2 electrons that run my brain don't make contact all the time anymore.

Well, I can't speak to specific printer issues for the Brother model you have as I don't have one. But in a general way, here's how printer sharing works:

Install the printer on one computer and get it working. This computer will now serve as your "print server." The best choice is the computer you will be most likely to have on.
    Connect all the computers to the same network and subdomain.
    Enable printer sharing on the print server.
    Install the printer on the other two computers though printer sharing.

How you do this depends on your preference. You can use the Printer setup in System Settings and I think most people report this works fine. Since you have a desktop on all your machines, this would likely be the easiest method for you.

I prefer using CUPS via a web interface. Partly because my print server does not have a desktop or monitor so I need easy remote access. For this, you install the cups-server on one computer. Then a computer with a desktop, you open a browser window, type in the server IP address followed by a colon and the cups port 631. Like this example "192.168.1.12:631" and hit enter. This opens the cups server interface on the remote machine and you install the printer and enable printer sharing. Then you type in "localhost:631" on the other computers and search for shared printers.

Both methods work fine. If I were you, I'd try using System Settings first and then fall back to CUPS if you can't get it to work.
    Last edited by oshunluvr; Apr 06, 2013, 11:25 AM.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
      Well, I can't speak to specific printer issues for the Brother model you have as I don't have one. But in a general way, here's how printer sharing works:

Install the printer on one computer and get it working. This computer will now serve as your "print server." The best choice is the computer you will be most likely to have on.
      Connect all the computers to the same network and subdomain.
      Enable printer sharing on the print server.
      Install the printer on the other two computers though printer sharing.

How you do this depends on your preference. You can use the Printer setup in System Settings and I think most people report this works fine. Since you have a desktop on all your machines, this would likely be the easiest method for you.

I prefer using CUPS via a web interface. Partly because my print server does not have a desktop or monitor so I need easy remote access. For this, you install the cups-server on one computer. Then a computer with a desktop, you open a browser window, type in the server IP address followed by a colon and the cups port 631. Like this example "192.168.1.12:631" and hit enter. This opens the cups server interface on the remote machine and you install the printer and enable printer sharing. Then you type in "localhost:631" on the other computers and search for shared printers.

Both methods work fine. If I were you, I'd try using System Settings first and then fall back to CUPS if you can't get it to work.
      *Hi friend, nice to see you and yours again.

Getting the printer to work on my Desktop happened using System Settings, however the Brother Drivers for my printer were not on the list, and I believe I had to go 2 models lower to find drivers that worked. But this was not the primary installation, it was print sharing with my laptop. I need my new desktop to be the print server.

I am confused about what to do. The computer that was first connected to my wireless printer was my laptop. It was because Brother does not support Kubuntu, and the laptop is dual boot with Kubuntu 12,10 KDE 4.5.9. It was a difficult install which required support from both Brother and Dlink, my router manufacturer.

Through a great deal of effort and lots of help, I finally got my Desktop Printer to work too. The process was so complicated and problematic that I ended without any understanding of the process. In fact, the kubuntu drivers were not even the ones made for my printer, but another model. And, I was't able to get the kubuntu portion for the printer of the laptop to function, still I manage OK with the comedy of errors that I finished with.

Recently I built a very fast computer that I would prefer was the default unit, with print-sharing for the other Desktop and the laptop. It has 8 cores @ 4ghz and 16gb DDR5-RAM 1800 Dual. It can serve the others easiest without even getting winded.

Advise me what to do? If I attempt to install the printer on my new Desktop, it will change the configuration of the printer, making my Desktop my primary. Being unable to accomplish this on Kubuntu previously, can I be confident I can get it done in, say, a week's time? I know I can't do it without lots of help (not a lack of confidence, just past experience). I did not have success using support from Brother and Dlink. Please understand, I first got print ability with the installation of the Brother printer using the WinVista OS on my laptop. I do not have any Windows OS's on my Desktops.

Comment

There is a driver for this printer and the page includes links to the installation instructions.
        http://welcome.solutions.brother.com...html#HL-2270DW

I appreciate installing it on one computer is not the same as getting it working on a network but it is a good step in the direction.
        The way I understand it you need to install both drivers.

You can access cups via a browser: http://localhost:631/

System Settings has a section devoted to printers, there's a button to share a connected printer.

Comment

Working...
        X