Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't figure out how to install my new Printer. Brother HL2270DW Lazer Printer

Kubuntu 12.10 KDE 4.9.5

When the list for Brother drivers comes up, my printer is skipped over. I went to the Brother site and tried to understand their method of installing the necessary drivers. I got so confused, I had to try for help in this forum. Thanks for any help and patience provided.

Yes, it can be a little fiddly installing printers in Linux. Of course, it's because the hardware manufacturers don't make it so easy for us.

I just installed my new Brother DCP-J140W printer/scanner in Kubuntu yesterday and it's pretty much working as it should as far as I can tell. Only thing I haven't figured out is why the cropping in the scanner isn't cropping to the size I want (it's a much bigger area for some reason).

I've just installed the same printer here in Windows XP and it was certainly a lot more "automatic". My previous Lexmark printer was a real hassle to get working in Ubuntu/Kubuntu but that worked quite well too (eventually).

Don't give up ... it's worth it to get it working in a much superior operating system!

How far did you get with it?

This is the page with the driver LPR and cupswrapper drivers for your printer: http://welcome.solutions.brother.com...html#HL-2270DW

Choose the deb versions of course.
    Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
    Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

Originally posted by Rod J View Post
      Only thing I haven't figured out is why the cropping in the scanner isn't cropping to the size I want (it's a much bigger area for some reason).
      what applacation is being used for the scanner,,,,acquire images , xsane ?
      some want a serten back end to process the image, like xsane likes to have the GIMP .
      make sure you have the "recommends" installed for whatever app it is !!

VINNY
      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
      16GB RAM
      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Hi Vinny,

Yeah, I'm using acquireimages which was installed along with digiKam a while back. I might have a look at xsane as I also have The Gimp installed. Thanks.
        Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
        Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

I have one of those - I did get the latest brother drivers installed but its a fiddly process.

Much easier to use the "Brother HL-2170W" drivers that come pre-installed with Kubuntu, they work perfectly, including duplex print.

Comment

Originally posted by blackpaw View Post
            Much easier to use the "Brother HL-2170W" drivers that come pre-installed with Kubuntu, they work perfectly, including duplex print.
            +1 I have this printer also. It's a great printer. A tip for installing wireless network printers, give them a fixed IP address and use the IP address and IPP to install.

Comment

I went through that step previously, however, my system is 64 bit and the downloads were i386. I searched further and found reference to 64 bit, but became confused when I was unable to find the appropriate downloads.

I purchased my printer a couple of months ago. I had the same problems then as now. I finally gave up after becomming frustrated by my shortcomings.

Can you help me get past this problem or explain how I can make i386 downloads work? I have an AMD processor but have always had difficulty mixing 32 with 64 bit packages.

Comment

How do I give it a fixed IP address; how do I do the "IPP to install" step?

Comment

xx
                  Originally posted by blackpaw View Post
                  I have one of those - I did get the latest brother drivers installed but its a fiddly process.

When I attempted to install the drivers, my driver list skipped over the HL2270DW drivers. Are you suggesting I can use the drivers for a Brother HL2170W?

Comment

No, you must have the drivers for your machine. My comments were directed at the installation of any wireless printer. When installing a wireless printer you have to first connect it with either a network cable or USB. From there you can access the printer setup page in your browser. Once you have that you can set it up to be wireless by telling it the SSID of your network and the wireless security password. and you can also specify a fixed IP address which can be any valid IP address your router recognizes outside of the addresses reserved for DHCP. The you can go to the CUPS interface at localhost:631 and install the printer using that IP address by entering ipp://theIPaddressoftheprinter. For example for my Brother wireless I entered ipp://192.168.0.99. But that is as far as you can go until you make the driver available.

Comment

Added: After you have completed the setup of the printer, you have to disconnect the cable and restart the printer for it to connect wirelessly.

Comment

xx
                        Originally posted by Detonate View Post
                        No, you must have the drivers for your machine. My comments were directed at the installation of any wireless printer. When installing a wireless printer you have to first connect it with either a network cable or USB. From there you can access the printer setup page in your browser. Once you have that you can set it up to be wireless by telling it the SSID of your network and the wireless security password. and you can also specify a fixed IP address which can be any valid IP address your router recognizes outside of the addresses reserved for DHCP. The you can go to the CUPS interface at localhost:631 and install the printer using that IP address by entering ipp://theIPaddressoftheprinterinstall the printer using that IP address by entering ipp://theIPaddressoftheprinter. For example for my Brother wireless I entered ipp://192.168.0.99. But that is as far as you can go until you make the driver available.
                        Like I said, the correct drivers did not appear on the list of drivers. As far as the connection is concerned, I connected using an ethernet cable, so I believe I was connected properly. Your comment regarding "the IP address of the printer", mine is 192.168.0.100, however I don't know where I am supposed to enter it. Also, I don't have the driver location. It is discussed among all the Brother data, but it's location is never shown.

Comment

Enter localhost:631 in the location bar of your browser.
                          Choose the Administration tab.
                          Select the Add Printer button.
                          Enter your user name and password.
                          Under Other Network Printers select Internet Printing Protocol (ipp)
                          In the Connection block enter ipp://192.168.0.100
                          That will take you as far as you can go until you have made the driver available.

Comment

Thank you! Thank you! I was still stumbling and guessing when I finally applied your instructions and succeeded. I am so grateful to you and this forum.

Comment

Working...
                            X