Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kubuntu 12.10 locking up, requires me to power cycle...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu 12.10 locking up, requires me to power cycle...

So I'm not necessarily a noob to linux, but I am a noob to using the forums process to solve my problem. This is the first time that I've run into something that someone else didn't seem to already have solved. Thus, I have no idea what kind of information I need to draw from my machine or where to get it so that someone can look and see what's going on with my system. Here is the issue. Installed Kubuntu 12.10 about a month ago. Since that time, the machine runs fine in general, but if it goes to screensaver mode or if I lock it and walk away for more than 1 hour, I have to power cycle my machine. I can't get the machine to come back and I can't get into the text-only mode. I can recreate the freeze by locking the machine and walking away, but the timeline isn't always consistent. At times, it'll be fine for 5 hours, then freeze. Sometimes it'll only take 15 minutes. What information do you need me to put up so you can help me find the root of this problem?

some generic info for starters .
    what are the specks of the box CPU,GPU,RAM ?
    do you have a swap partition , and how big?
    is it a singel / partition or / and /home and ,,,,,,,,?
    is / getting pretty full ?

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Board: ASUSTek M78N3-EM
      CPU: AMD 7850 Dual Core 1400 MHz
      GPU: Radeon HD 5450
      RAM: 8GB DDR2

Swap Partition is 9.5GB
      I have a / and /home setup so that I can try out different flavors without losing my docs. My / partition is 27.9 GB and only 6.9 GB is used.

Comment

Which kernel? You can check with
        Code:
        uname -a

Comment

Here is my output from uname -a:
          Code:
          Linux office-desktop 3.5.0-25-generic #39-Ubuntu SMP Mon Feb 25 18:26:58 UTC 2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Comment

are you running a screen saver on locking ,,,, and if so which one?

VINNY
            16GB RAM

Comment

No. I disabled the screensaver thinking it to be the root cause of the problem. Same result. Now locking the computer goes to a blank screen. I can still log back in, but if I leave it for a bit, it freezes up.

Comment

@jastring: how would you rate your skills manually downloading and installing .deb packages? I'd like for you to try a newer kernel, and I'd like to have an understanding of how much detail to include in my instructions.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                  @jastring: how would you rate your skills manually downloading and installing .deb packages? I'd like for you to try a newer kernel, and I'd like to have an understanding of how much detail to include in my instructions.
                  Aren't their PPAs for other kernels?

Comment

Nope. The Kernel PPA stoped publishing after Lucid. The Pre-proposed Kernel PPA still publishes, but only updates within the series currently used by a release.

To obtain newer kernels, you have to download the individual .deb files for linux-image-version_arch, linux-image-extra-version_arch, linux-headers-version_all, and linux-headers-version_arch. After you download the four files, you install them via:
                    Code:
                    dpkg -i linux*deb
                    Also, it's OK to move forward a release. I wanted 3.8 on my Quantal box, not 3.7. Right now, I'm running the 3.8.3 Raring build on my Quantal laptop. Works great. nVidia blob, VirtualBox, and VMware Player are happy as clams.
                    Last edited by SteveRiley; Mar 19, 2013, 09:04 PM. Reason: Added forgotten link.

Comment

which can be had from hear ............. http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/

VINNY
                      16GB RAM

Comment

Oops! Thanks for that. The link was sitting my clipboard, but I forgot to paste it!

This is what happens when you spend hours on the phone with Comcast: you lose your fskcing mind.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                          Oops! Thanks for that. The link was sitting my clipboard, but I forgot to paste it!

This is what happens when you spend hours on the phone with Comcast: you lose your fskcing mind.
                          LOL ,,,,,,,agreed

might try that 3.8.3 @hear 12.10 ,,,,,,,still runing the 3.5.0 you pointed me to a wile back on 12.04

VINNY
                          Last edited by vinnywright; Mar 19, 2013, 09:13 PM.
                          16GB RAM

Comment

Remember that the kernel image is now split into two files, so don't forget the -extra- one.

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
                              LOL ,,,,,,,agreed

might try that 3.8.3 @hear 12.10 ,,,,,,,still runing the 3.5.0 you pointed me to a wile back on 12.04

VINNY
                              As a nice bonus, Intel rc6 power saving is very functional under 3.8.x and works great.

Comment

Working...
                              X