This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing build-essential with its Dependencies

This is probably really simple : I have need of the "build-essential" package on a recently-installed 32-bit 12.04 LTS Kubuntu system. When I try to install it with "sudo apt-get install build-essential", I'm told that it depends on g++ and either libc6-dev or libc-dev, but that those packages won't be installed. When I append the -f flag ("sudo apt-get -f install build-essential") to (as I understand it) automatically install the necessary dependencies as well, I get the same error. What am I doing wrong?...

If you try installing as:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install build-essential g++
    What are you told? Also, verify that you don't still have the cd-rom 'active' as a repository.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

no you have some held or broken package preventing one of packages in the metapackage from being installed. its telling you to use "sudo apt-get -f install" and it will attempt to fix this. there is no package after install in this command.
      Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
      (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Hi

I am completely new here

Originally posted by karam View Post
        This is probably really simple : I have need of the "build-essential" package on a recently-installed 32-bit 12.04 LTS Kubuntu system. When I try to install it with "sudo apt-get install build-essential", I'm told that it depends on g++ and either libc6-dev or libc-dev, but that those packages won't be installed. When I append the -f flag ("sudo apt-get -f install build-essential") to (as I understand it) automatically install the necessary dependencies as well, I get the same error. What am I doing wrong?...
        For what kind of job is the "build-essential" package needed?

Kind rgds

Comment

Thank you all for the feedback.

calligrafan: I need build-essential to build Yellowcot, an open-source flash card simulator.

Snowhog, here is the result of running your command (sudo apt-get install build-essential g++)...

Code:
          Reading package lists... Done
          Building dependency tree       
          Reading state information... Done
          Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
          requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
          distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
          or been moved out of Incoming.
          The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
           build-essential : Depends: libc6-dev but it is not going to be installed or
                                      libc-dev
           g++ : Depends: g++-4.6 (>= 4.6.3-1~) but it is not going to be installed
          E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
          sithlord48, here is the result of running your command (sudo apt-get -f install)...

Code:
          Reading package lists... Done
          Building dependency tree       
          Reading state information... Done
          0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 28 not upgraded.
          Any other ideas?

Comment

do your updates, and then try again . check in your package manager to be sure that you DO NOT have any held (ie they are stuck at a specific version number) or Broken (as in partly installed) packages.

your error is here " E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages."
            Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
            (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Working...
            X