Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How does one run Entropia 14.04 on Kubuntu 12.10 ?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How does one run Entropia 14.04 on Kubuntu 12.10 ?

Sorry about the lack of links but this is my first post on this forum and I don't "power-post". Maybe, I'll come back and edit the links in down the track - if I can remember them all. In any case, the titles and keywords should come up in an exact phrase search - or so we might dare to hope.

I'm currently trying to get Entropia 14.04 (see link censored) running on Kubunto 12.10 - without much success. I've consulted a number of pages - e.g.
    ISO:2012-Nov-02 Ubuntu 12.10 (see link censored) by Acronoid
    ISO:2011-Mar-06 Playing EU in Linux (ubuntu ) with a patched wine 1.3.14 (see link censored) by Swedave
    ISO:2011-Jan-09 Entropia on Linux, IT WORKS ! (see link censored) by Naomi
    ISO:2007-Mar-28 EU on Linux (WINE) (see link censored) by xpoptartx
    So people have had success with this. Other pages dealing with this issue include:
    ISO:2013-Feb-09 Entropia on Linux? (see link censored) by toad
    ISO:2011-Mar-06 comment about Entropia not crashing in Ubuntu when it does in Windows (see link censored) by Swedave
    There are also these from WineHQ (See censored):
    see link censored
    see link censored
    see link censored
    see link censored
    Strangely enough, there is nothing on Entropia Universe versions 13 or 14. As you can see, much of this information is either dated or incomplete. My objective, with this exercise, is to write up a complete procedure to allow Entropia Universe users to migrate across to Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, or Lubuntu and, intially, my focus is on Kubuntu. So, let's get into my setup details.
    My current hardware is:
    CPU: AMD 3.0 GHz Athlon 6000 dual core 64 bit
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-M57SLI-S4
    RAM: 2x 2Gb Veritech GVP02GMLTXX4EG VT2800-STA0222 (I.E. totaling 4 Gb DDR)
    Video Card: 1 Gb G-DDR3-256bit vRAM on a Dual DVI-I/D-Sub/HDMI channel by Gigabyte 9800GT (nVidia GeForce) model GV-N98TSL-1GI
    Sound Card: Realtek HD 24 bit 48 KHz
    Monitor: 21", 24 Bit Color, 1650x1080 ASUS
    DiscCaching/SwapFile Drive: 80 Gb compatible with SATA 3Gb/s
    Bootstrap/OS/FileSystem Drive: compatible with SATA 3Gb/s and as big as they go on a budget - maybe 2Tb this time around
    Operating System and parts:
    Kubuntu 12.10 x64
    KDE
    Wine
    PlayOnLinux 1.4.9
    I've also installed the nVidia proprietary drivers according to doctordruidphd's instructions for setting up nVidia drivers on Kubuntu (see link censored). So, I'm no longer getting mystery video errors. However, what has been happening is a failure to display the license text correctly with a lot of garbage characters overwriting punctuation and, possibly related, is the corruption of some 102 Mb of files. Now, while the partially garbled ToU or EULA is not ocuring in Windows, the initial corruption of roughly 100 Mb of files is. The difference is that the updater, which repairs this problem, works in Windows but not in Kubuntu.
    A second problem has been, on subsequent reinstallations, the crashing of Wine (no exception, no error code) on the attempted load of the license form. I have switched from 64 bit to 32 bit and back again so maybe I need to reinstall wine. It is worth noting that while I run a 64 bit CPU and OS, Entropia Universe installs to C:\Program Files(x86) as a 32 bit application. So, before reinstalling Wine, perhaps I should be asking whether Wine can handle both 64 bit and 32 bit virtual drives and which I should be using for 32 bit applicatons on a 64 bit system?
    Also, what else needs to be done to make Entropia Universe run on Kubuntu and, assuming a solid installation procedure can be established, how would I go about setting up a packaging script suitable for a repository?
    Thanks in advance of any help you can offer...

So why am I not seeing this posted on WineHQ forums? You should join the forum, I am an active member there. Also a quick look at the App Database will show that Wine has not been very effective with versions above 11.0 and anything 12+ has been impossible to run using Wine. Maybe people had some success running this app in the past but it appears to be dead now. These fine people are here for Kubuntu, we need to first address Wine before coming here and suggesting it is the OS.

Also note another forum for this matter is PlayonLinux since it is the "front end" you are using for Wine. I really hope you can find a solution.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon View Post
      So why am I not seeing this posted on WineHQ forums? You should join the forum, I am an active member there. Also a quick look at the App Database will show that Wine has not been very effective with versions above 11.0 and anything 12+ has been impossible to run using Wine. Maybe people had some success running this app in the past but it appears to be dead now. These fine people are here for Kubuntu, we need to first address Wine before coming here and suggesting it is the OS.

Also note another forum for this matter is PlayonLinux since it is the "front end" you are using for Wine. I really hope you can find a solution.
      Thank you for the suggestion.
      Done. Almost.
      The question is under review/moderation at WineHQ. As for PlayOnLinux, their forum's email verification system seems to be broken and cannot recognise a code copied and pasted from their own verification email - and the way I read the WinHQ FAQ, Wine should intervene automatically when a Windows application or installer is opened in the Linux environment - without the help of a fourth party program such as PlayOnLinux, no? So, seeing as I've probably trashed my Wine prefix already, I'll consider leaving PlayOnLinux out of the equation when I reinstall Wine and see how it goes...

Comment

Working...
      X