This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i cant find packages downloaded through synaptic

i have downloaded 2 screen recorders through synaptic - pync2sw and record my desktop but cant find them in the application launcher, i have looked through all the tabs under applications in the application launcher and typed them in the search box but neither is showing up. how would i go about finding them?

thanks

Graham

if you mean you installed them ? maby log out then back in or reboot then look for them again ,,,,sometimes things will not show up in the menu untill you do.
    you can allso look for them with the locate command in a terminal ,,,,,like ,,,,,
    Code:
    sudo updatedb
    then
    Code:
    locate pync2sw

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

I assume you mean "installed" not downloaded? They are totally different things. If you indeed installed them, the program may not be KDE aware enough to build a menu entry. Also, synaptic is not a KDE program so that might be part of the problem.

As far as how to find the installed program - open a terminal and type:

sudo updatedb
      locate <FILENAME>

Please Read Me

Comment

Oops! Vinny beat me to the enter key

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
          Oops! Vinny beat me to the enter key
          LOL,,,,,,well at least we were on the same page on this one

VINNY
          16GB RAM

Comment

also to note, recordmydesktop itself is a commandline program, so there will be no menu entry - there are graphical frontends for it, though. I cannot find anything resembling pync2sw in a package manager or via a web search, but I will venture it is also a cli application.

Comment

hi thanks for the replies.. I did indeed mean installed. i have typed locate... and a large amount of info scrolls down, which unfortunately i dont understand. I also looked up the programs in Muon Package manager and both show in there as installed aswell. Are you saying that there is a possibilty that the programs are not compatable with kubuntu? .. Also tried restarting but no change

Graham

Also Hi claydoh, the pync2swf is showing in my muon package manager if i type "screen capture" in the search bar - second from the bottom, and thanks for looking into this for me
              Last edited by grahama; Feb 22, 2013, 07:19 PM. Reason: noticed claydoh's post

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                also to note, recordmydesktop itself is a commandline program, so there will be no menu entry - there are graphical frontends for it, though. I cannot find anything resembling pync2sw in a package manager or via a web search, but I will venture it is also a cli application.
                Aaaa yes that is correct,,,,,you will want recorditnow for a graphical front end for recordmydesktop and pyvnc2swf is a CLI program that uses the VNC protocol (virtual network computing) I use ffmpeg to do screen captures my self as I never had mutch luck with the GUI apps for it .

if you have ffmpeg installed this gives a nice capture @hear
                ffmpeg -f alsa -ac 2 -i pulse -f x11grab -s 1366x768 -r 25 -i :0.0 -vcodec ffv1 filename.avi
                you can change filename.avi to whatever you like .avi and the 1366x768 to whatever your screen resolution is .
                be warned though the file size will grow large quickly ,,,,,,do some short tests first and see.

VINNY

O and to stop it once it's running press ctrl+c
                16GB RAM

Comment

They need to be run from a terminal, though the Pyvnc2swf may have a gui option
                  http://www.unixuser.org/~euske/vnc2swf/pyvnc2swf.html

gtk-recorditnow recorditnow kazam, and even vlc do screen recording with a gui. some work ok, others can be flaky, but hopefully one fits your needs well.

Comment

ok thanks guys.. i'll have to have a play with these, to work out what i'm doing. got recorditnow to work but i can only start the recording and pause.. STOP doesn't seem to work, and tried the info that vinny wrote in my terminal but a baffling (to me) amount of info followed and i couldn't get it running. i'll have a play with them all and see what happens

Comment

Working...
                    X