• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Video Driver troubles

Hi.
    I followed both methods, on two different installs from
    http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubu...allation_Guide

This will be kind of hard to explain.
    With either method I get the same problem on reboot. It seems that the GUI of KDE is all transparent. Things correct themselves when I mouse over them.

So for example, when I click on the K Menu. I see only the Icons and text, the background is transparent. When I mouse over it, I get the division lines in between which get stuck. Also when I open up a submenu, and move the the next one, they all stay there like a permanent afterimage.

I replaced xorg.conf with the backup that "aticonfig --initial" made. Rebooted and it was back to normal. But I want to have 3D support, direct rendering, etc. To play games.

I have a P4 2.4ghz
    and an ATI Radeon AGP x1600 pro w/ 512 DDR2

Please help.

Re: Video Driver troubles

Hi,
    I encounter the same problem why it happens on some systems I do not know. it is a problem with composite module if you coment out the lines in your xorg conf file for it, it will go away, or go to system settings > panel select the tab for Appearance near the bottom there is a section for Panel Background if you de-select Enable Transparency it will also go away. this is not a solution and I do not present it as one however untill you or I find one this will let you work normally.

Hopefully someone else will post a solution to this problem with the composite manager.

Regards John

Comment

Re: Video Driver troubles

Hey. I think I found a solution.
      I reinstalled Kubuntu (don't know if this is necessary).
      Then did method 2.
      However, at the end, rather than rebooting, I logged out, and restarted X server.
      Logged back in and it all seems to be working properly.
      Even after reboot.

Comment

Working...
      X