Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If I connect through pppoeconf can I disable modemmanager and network-manager?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If I connect through pppoeconf can I disable modemmanager and network-manager?

The networking and network-interface/(eth0|ppp|lo) will be running. If I disable only the modemmanager and network-manager will it have any disadvantages?

And if no, what's the recommended way to disable? Using tools, like BUM or Jobs-Admin? These are GTK based tools. Are there run properly on Kubuntu?
    Or I just have to rename the modemmanager.conf and network-manager.conf to *.conf.override in the /etc/init/ ?

I don't use either modemmanager or network-manager. I just simply uninstalled them immediately after initial installation. Whether or not there are disadvantages for you will depend on your situation. I don't use ppp or a modem so I can't speak to how to use those without these tools. In my case, I have a slightly exotic network set-up that network-manager does not support.

Please Read Me

Comment

I use pppoeconf. I have no idea about modemmanager, but you dont need networkmanager. I have it disabled on all my systems.

Comment

Thanks. I disabled the network-manager and the modemmanager depends on it so I had no need to disable separately.

BTW how can I make a more informative connection? I mean, in Windows the connection window written some informations like "Connecing through WAN miniport, Resolving host, DHCP, Check login name and password, Check credentials, Connected (and the window disappeared).

In Linux after the "sudo pon dsl-provider" command I only get this: "Plugin rpppoe.so loaded"

Comment

Working...
        X