This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE features or niggles

I'm just getting to grips with Kubuntu, and, mainly, loving it! It's very beautiful, and I've generally found configuring keyboard shortcuts and behaviour to be straightforward.

There's a couple of things that strike me as odd. I'm not sure whether I can reconfigure them, or should just regard them as 'features'!

1) All programs show on the taskbar all the time
    It strikes me as odd that if I arrange my applications into different desktops, the task bar still shows all of them. I think it would be more intuitive if the taskbar only showed the applications running in the current desktop. So if I have spotify running in Desktop 1 and firefox running in Desktop 2, then when I'm in Desktop 1 I should only see spotify on the taskbar, not firefox. Can I configure KDE to behave this way?

2) Can't use Enter to run programs or commands from Kickoff
    If I use Alt+F1 to open the Kickoff menu, and then use the down arrow to select the first item on the list (Rekonq in my case), hitting Enter doesn't start Rekonq - it doesn't do anything. However, clicking on the Rekonq item does start it. This seems really odd, particularly since launching programs using Alt+F2 does allow you to start using the Enter key. Similarly, I can't shutdown from the 'Leave' tab in Kickoff without using the mouse, for the same reason. Is this something I can change?

Thanks for your help!

Originally posted by dovder View Post
    I'm just getting to grips with Kubuntu, and, mainly, loving it! It's very beautiful, and I've generally found configuring keyboard shortcuts and behaviour to be straightforward.

There's a couple of things that strike me as odd. I'm not sure whether I can reconfigure them, or should just regard them as 'features'!

It strikes me as odd that if I arrange my applications into different desktops, the task bar still shows all of them. I think it would be more intuitive if the taskbar only showed the applications running in the current desktop. So if I have spotify running in Desktop 1 and firefox running in Desktop 2, then when I'm in Desktop 1 I should only see spotify on the taskbar, not firefox. Can I configure KDE to behave this way?
    Yes, this can be easily done. Right click on the taskbar and open up the settings window. In there, there is an option to only show windows from the current desktop.

Unfortunately, I cant help you with your second question

Comment

Right click on the task manager > Filters > Check the option you desire

If I use Alt+F1 to open the Kickoff menu, and then use the down arrow to select the first item on the list (Rekonq in my case), hitting Enter doesn't start Rekonq - it doesn't do anything. However, clicking on the Rekonq item does start it. This seems really odd, particularly since launching programs using Alt+F2 does allow you to start using the Enter key. Similarly, I can't shutdown from the 'Leave' tab in Kickoff without using the mouse, for the same reason. Is this something I can change?

Thanks for your help!
      You totally can. That's how I do it. Maybe double hit enter?

Comment

I seem to recall there was an actual bug re this in KDE. What version are you running?

Comment

Originally posted by dmeyer View Post
          You totally can. That's how I do it. Maybe double hit enter?
          Oh, so it sounds like I'm not getting the correct behaviour. I definitely can't start programs from kickoff by hitting Enter. I've tried looking in the 'Application Launcher Settings' and there doesn't seem to be anything there.

Thanks both for your solution to the first question.

Comment

Originally posted by blackpaw View Post
            I seem to recall there was an actual bug re this in KDE. What version are you running?
            12.10. I only installed it a couple of weeks ago.

Comment

Originally posted by blackpaw View Post
              It hadn't occurred to me it might be a bug. I just did apt-get upgrade and now the problem is fixed!

Love Kubuntu even more now.

Comment

Working...
              X