Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi, i have deleted the partitions but now have the error message "error no such partition" "grub rescue>" now, when i deleted the partitions i deleted kubuntu and the little partition at the end ( i suspect this wasn't a wise move).. I have tried to boot from USB - kubuntu live/install but it is not there in the boot menu.. i have the choice of 1. built in HDD1, cd/dvd, and LAN.. I strongly suspect that i have bungled it any advice please?

Graham

Comment

Your trying to boot to a grub install that you deleted. You have to boot to the LiveUSB or CD and re-install. If your computer won't boot to USB (sometimes a BIOS option must be enabled), your going to have to burn a CD somewhere.

How did you install Kubuntu the first time?

Please Read Me

Comment

1st time was from usb

Comment

how would i change the bios?

Comment

Originally posted by grahama View Post
            how would i change the bios?
            you should not need to , unless you changed it from when you installed from the usb last time ,,,,do you remember how you got the usb to boot last time ,, do that again.

VINNY
            i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
            16GB RAM
            Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

hmmm the USB thing is baffling, i've been using F12, select the USB and it starts, I used it for the partition program also. Now the usb isn't on the boot list.

I have burnt a DVD kubuntu ISO and am installing now. I have chosen manual installation (auto wanted to use 100% of hard drive). I have set it to create a new partition out of the anallocated space, now 57G or so, and it has come up with "no boot file system is defined". there are a few options while creating that i'm lost with
              1. type of partition-- options Primary and Logical.
              2. Location - options beginning and end.
              3.Use as-- loads of options most journalling file systems, FAT32 etc
              4. mount point-- depends on what i put in "3. Use as" but if i select FAT32 i have the option of /dos or /windows.... didn't really want to go down the guessing route so what would you recommend for these options?

thanks again Graham
              Last edited by grahama; Feb 16, 2013, 12:47 PM. Reason: wasn't very easy to read

Comment

hmmm the USB thing is baffling, i've been using F12, select the USB and it starts, I used it for the partition program also. Now the usb isn't on the boot list.

I have burnt a DVD kubuntu ISO and am installing now. I have chosen manual installation (auto wanted to use 100% of hard drive). I have set it to create a new partition out of the anallocated space, now 57G or so, and it has come up with "no boot file system is defined". there are a few options while creating that i'm lost with
                1. type of partition-- options Primary and Logical.
                2. Location - options beginning and end.
                3.Use as-- loads of options most journalling file systems, FAT32 etc
                4. mount point-- depends on what i put in "3. Use as" but if i select FAT32 i have the option of /dos or /windows.... didn't really want to go down the guessing route so what would you recommend for these options?

thanks again Graham
                1-type of partition ,,,, I think if I;m reading your gparted screen shot right you are in the extended partition so chose Logical hear.
                2-location beginning and end,,,,,if you have chosen the unallocated space it should have come up with all of it selected somthing like 57000 Mib use it all.
                3-use as ,,,,,chose ext4
                4-mount point,,,,chose / ,,,,,that is the symbol for root

at the bottom of this screen thare is a dropdown selection box for where the bootloader should go (grub)make sure it is sda

VINNY
                16GB RAM

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0527.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	640277 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0526.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	640278

Hi Vinny thanks for the reply, Just wanted to confirm before i set it going.so have attached images of the partition screens for clarity. i am selecting the free space in the first image.
                  So i would be selecting Logical for the new partition.
                  As for location, should i choose Beginning or end?
                  the use as: i select EXT4
                  and the mount point: i choose /

Just being as careful as possible

thanks

Graham

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3993[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]3994[/ATTACH]

Hi Vinny thanks for the reply, Just wanted to confirm before i set it going.so have attached images of the partition screens for clarity. i am selecting the free space in the first image.
                    So i would be selecting Logical for the new partition.
                    As for location, should i choose Beginning or end?
                    the use as: i select EXT4
                    and the mount point: i choose /

Just being as careful as possible

thanks

Graham
                    every thing looks good just chose end instead of beginning for location

VINNY
                    16GB RAM

Comment

Both Vista and Kubuntu working fine, it did say something about allocating space to Swap (but said it wasn't essential so i moved past it , maybe for another time) So big thanks to both of you, Vinny and Oshunlovr. Fantastic help.. cheers guys

Comment

Working...
                      X