This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

partition problems while trying to install

Here we go, my knowledge is pretty basic.... background: i have 200gb hd with 3 original partitions WINRE Vista and Data. I created kubuntu boot stick using linux live program and installed kubuntu 12.10 alongside windows.. all good so far and works well. However i only had 29Gb on the kubuntu partition so my thought was to resize the Data partition (after defrag) and reinstall kubuntu utilising the extra space..however...

i tried to reinstall using the boot usb and it only gives me the option to do a 100% install, assumedly because there are now 4 partitions winre,vista,data and the current kubuntu installation, there is also 24,4 gig unallocated (i am using "partition manager kde control module". and tried using the copy of kubuntu on the stick to do the changes so i wasn't actually using the partitions that i was trying to change. my thought was to delete the current kubuntu installation and start from scratch, hoping it would use the unallocated bit, but it wouldn't let me.

i would post a screenshot but it says the image is incorrect file format , strange because its a PNG.

what i would like to do is end up with the three windows partitions still - winre,vista and data and also utlise the rest of the space with kubuntu, any help would be appreciated.

unfortunately i am on and off the computer at the moment, life being pretty busy so might take a while to reply.

you guys were fantastic on the last enquiry i made so i have high hopes but bear with me, i still struggle with the terminology

thanks graham

first the unallocated space cant be used until it is a proper partition .
    you could expand the kubuntu partition to fill the unallocated space if thay are next to each other , I would use a gparted or parted magic live cd/usb to this .

or you could just make the unallocated space a partition and then use it for storage , you can also use the windows data partition for storage in kubuntu.

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

thanks Vinny, the unallocated space is next to the kubuntu partition so i will give one of the live USB's a go

thanks Graham

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	gparted.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	640270

I have expanded the kubuntu partition, but it still looks to be divided (the current bit and the unnalocated bit) I assume that this is expected. What i need to know now is how do i make it all one?

thanks Graham

Comment

It appears only to be a few MBs in size so you may want to forget about the small amount between partitions 2 & 3, but if you want to use it, you need to move partition 3 "ahead" into the unallocated space, then add it to the extended partition, then expand partition 5 into the unallocated space.

Another option: 27GB is more than enough for a Kubuntu install on the order of double the required amount. You could shrink your Kubuntu partition to 12 or 15GB and then create a new partition with the unallocated space and use it as /home - which is generally a good idea anyway.

Please Read Me

Comment

BTW: If you decide to move any of the NTFS partitions, I'd reboot into windows immediately after the move and let it run it's disk check just to be sure all is well. If you want to use that 6.86MB, you might be better off just expanding the NTFS partition to use it that way.

Please Read Me

Comment

Humm it may be that you can only grow/expand the partition to the right (I just can not remember), you may half to move it to the left so the unallocated space is to the right of the Kubuntu partition and then grow it to the right to fill the unallocated space .

if you do not have to much invested in the Kubuntu install (did you say it was a new install) it may be easier to just delete the kubuntu partition which will make it all unallocated space and then you can make it 1 partition and reinstall .

VINNY

OOPS @oshunluvr has better info for ya
              16GB RAM

Comment

the Install is relatively new so i dont mind doing it a few times, i have tried creating a new partition but cant transfer anything onto it ( i assume i have done something wrong) \if i were to delete the kubuntu partition and the new one would i then be able to reinstall using the whole amount?Click image for larger version

Name:	new partition.jpg
Size:	13.9 KB
ID:	640271Click image for larger version

Name:	new partition1.jpg
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	640272

Comment

Actually Vinny, I believe you're correct. To expand into space to the left you have to "move" and then "grow" the partition. I think most graphical partition tools mask the fact that it's a two step operation - thus the extreme time required to get this done and the reason one might just abandon 6MB of unallocated space.

I also think Vinny is correct in that re-installing will likely be much quicker than the move-and-grow operation unless you've invested a lot of time into your setup.

Please Read Me

Comment

(Sorry, cross posting) Yes, any co-located unallocated space would be easily made into a new single partition.

Re. not being able to use a second partition: Your ability to transfer files to a new partition depends wholly on how the filesystem is mounted. The issue you were having there was one of permission problems, not partition problems. If you choose the second partition route:

Create the partition.
                    Create the filesystem (aka format).
                    Create a mount point for the new partition.
                    Mount the partition with user-level access.
                    Begin using.

Please Read Me

Comment

ok thanks, i'm happy to leave the 6mb. i will try the re-install, probably tommorow, just in case it doesn't quite go to plan

thanks

graham

Comment

wouldit work to just delete the partiions and use the boot usb? would the boot usb sort it out on its own re file systems or whatever is needed?

Comment

Originally posted by grahama View Post
                          wouldit work to just delete the partiions and use the boot usb? would the boot usb sort it out on its own re file systems or whatever is needed?
                          no,,,,,you would half to first delete the curent Kubuntu partition ,,,,,,then all the space will be unallocated ,,,,,then make all the unallocated space (not talking about the small bit between the 2 windows partitions) 1 partition ,,,,, then yes the live usb will be abell to use the new blank partition but you will half to use the manual setup mode during the install process at the partitioning faze .

VINNY
                          16GB RAM

Comment

Yeah. I would boot the the USB, delete sda5, then run the installer. I think it will offer you "use unallocated space" or you can use the manual partition option and create the new partition yourself.

Please Read Me

Comment

ok i'll give it go and let you know how i get on thanks both

Comment

Working...
                              X