X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chromium cannot be installed on Kubuntu 12.10

Hello,

I know I can use Konsole to install Chromium on Kubuntu, but I downloaded .deb file from Chrome Download Page (x64 .deb). When I click on downloaded file, it tells me that I had all required libraries. I am clicking on Install and after approx 1 min, it shows "DONE".

Then, I check my Kickoff menu, but there is no Chromium icon anywhere. Also in Konsole only command starts with ch is chroot.

What am I doing wrong? Can't any packages be installed only clicking on .deb files automatically? Because I knew that this action opens DPKG automatically.

Originally posted by wakeup View Post
    Hello,

I know I can use Konsole to install Chromium on Kubuntu, but I downloaded .deb file from Chrome Download Page (x64 .deb). When I click on downloaded file, it tells me that I had all required libraries. I am clicking on Install and after approx 1 min, it shows "DONE".

Then, I check my Kickoff menu, but there is no Chromium icon anywhere. Also in Konsole only command starts with ch is chroot.

What am I doing wrong? Can't any packages be installed only clicking on .deb files automatically? Because I knew that this action opens DPKG automatically.
    You downloaded Chrome. Chromium is in the package manager. Chrome must be manually downloaded.

Comment

Originally posted by wakeup View Post
      Hello,

chrome is not chromium ,,,,you can have both but chromium is the open source ver. of the google chrome browser.
      right click the .deb you DL'ed and then click open with Qapt package installer.

some times you must loge out and back in or reboot to get a new app to show up in the menu!!

VINNY
      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
      16GB RAM
      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
        chrome is not chromium ,,,,you can have both but chromium is the open source ver. of the google chrome browser.
        right click the .deb you DL'ed and then click open with Qapt package installer.

some times you must loge out and back in or reboot to get a new app to show up in the menu!!

VINNY
        I think he's searching the menus for Chromium when he should be searching for Chrome.

Comment

Originally posted by dmeyer View Post
          I think he's searching the menus for Chromium when he should be searching for Chrome.
          perhaps he definitely got chrome ,,,,,I would think.

VINNY
          16GB RAM

Comment

Funny.. I have just installed Chromium.. without any issue ... Quantal .. and have removed the default Reqon as it is painfully slow.. and both are Webkit based, which is what I need beside Gecko (firefox). Muon ... does the job and yes, there is Chromium (Chrome for linux) in the list within Muon software center. No need to use terminal if You find program there, although it is more kinda 'geeky' from terminal, but Muon does the same job pretty much clean just as we do manually from terminal. So far, so good.
            "If women are able to fake orgasm, we are than able to fake the whole relationship."

Comment

Originally posted by Bald.Penguin View Post
              Funny.. I have just installed Chromium.. without any issue ... Quantal .. and have removed the default Reqon as it is painfully slow.. and both are Webkit based, which is what I need beside Gecko (firefox). Muon ... does the job and yes, there is Chromium (Chrome for linux) in the list within Muon software center. No need to use terminal if You find program there, although it is more kinda 'geeky' from terminal, but Muon does the same job pretty much clean just as we do manually from terminal. So far, so good.
              yes chromium is in the package data base and can be installed with muon ,,,,,,,the OP DL'ed the chrome-linux.deb from the web and seams to be having trouble with it ,,,, O what the heck you cant have to meny browsers let me go get it and see what happens ,,,,,, BRB

VINNY
              16GB RAM

Comment

O what the heck you cant have to meny browsers let me go get it and see what happens ,,,,,, BRB
                Thrust me, You can. I am some sort of web/dev webmaster, etc.. and Yes, I am pretty much positive about that. You can have them all installed, with no single issue (in fact, YOU MUST have them all installed if You do web development, in order to test scripts as each of them uses own method, different than others to render pages, it is up to us to find a "golden middle") firefox, opera, chrome, safari, stupid Internet Explorer.. etc... all of them are 100% necessary tools for webdev.
                Last edited by Bald.Penguin; Feb 08, 2013, 11:56 PM.
                "If women are able to fake orgasm, we are than able to fake the whole relationship."

Comment

for google chrome go hear https://www.google.com/intl/en/chrom...tm_term=chrome
                  DL the Debian/Ubuntu .deb that maches your arch

click it it will open in Qapt @hear I kneaded some dependences

if you do click ok then install

when done it will appear in the menu under internet

first run

a picture is worth a thousand words :cool:

VINNY
                  16GB RAM

Comment

Thrust me, You can. I am some sort of web/dev webmaster, etc.. and Yes, I am pretty much positive about that. You can have them all installed, with no single issue (in fact, YOU MUST have them all installed if You do web development, in order to test scripts as each of them uses own method, different than others to render pages, it is up to us to find a "golden middle") firefox, opera, chrome, safari, stupid Internet Explorer.. etc... all of them are 100% necessary tools for webdev.
                    slow down and read a bit more carfuly Mr Penguin ,,, I sead you CANT have to meny browsers not you can have to meney
                    I agree with you,,,,,,,,

VINNY
                    16GB RAM

Comment

Ok, ok.. you said.. I admit! Please don't kill me!
                      English is not my native and I try to do best when reading and writing.

Comment

Ok, ok.. you said.. I admit! Please don't kill me!
                        English is not my native and I try to do best when reading and writing.
                        LOL ,,,,,, is coool mon is cool
                        it is my native language and I have constant trouble :-P

VINNY
                        16GB RAM

Comment

Hahaa... Yep. Ok, You're just too 'slangy' than .. I suppose ?
                          Whatevs. Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by dmeyer View Post
                            Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
                            perhaps he definitely got chrome ,,,,,I would think.

VINNY
                            Of course i was not looking for chromium on menus . Ok, I thought they are both the same at first, but now it's ok.

I logged out and in and rebooted, but I still cannot see chrome icon on Kickoff.

When installing, it told me that I have all required dependencies already and installed. Only button I needed to click was "Close" after seeing "DONE".

Comment

Open up a konsole and try
                              Code:
                              google-chrome
                              . What is the output?

Comment

Working...
                              X