X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tray icons bug?

Hi!

I made here (Kubuntu 12.10 x64) some apps (with KDE menu editor) to have a custom keyboard shortcut assigned (for launching them) and also enabled the "Place in system tray" option for hiding-unhiding them, without loading-unloading them from memory.

With most applications, this worked as expected with 2 exceptions:
    1) I have here installed GtkHash (from repositories), for a gui based hash checking tool.
    If I click the GtkHash icon, it placed at tray normally, but if I launch GtkHash with the assigned keyboard shortcut, GtkHash is launched, but the "Place in system tray" option is not working.

Workarround: launching it with mouse (and not using the keyboard shortcut).

2) "Place in system tray" is not working with konsole.

Workarround: I installed Yakuake (and launcing konsole with it).

3) "Place in system tray" is not working with system monitor.

Workarround: system settings-> startup and shutdown -> autostart -> /usr/bin/ksystraycmd --hidden ksysguard

OK, they're only minor inconveniences. Nothing of importance.
    Do you think I have to fill a bug report?
    But for what component? menu editor? KShortcut? something else?
    Last edited by Achaean; Feb 06, 2013, 12:09 PM.
    Kubuntu 13.10 saucy 3.11.0-12-generic 64bit (el_GR.UTF-8, kde-plasma), Windows 7
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5600+ ‖ RAM 1750 MiB ‖ ALiveNF6P-VSTA
    nVidia C61 [GeForce 6150SE nForce 430] [10de:03d0] {nvidia}
    eth0: nVidia MCP61 Ethernet [10de:03ef] (rev a2)

Just a guess but the "gtk" part stands for GNOME tool kit. The program may not use the KDE system tray properly.

I've never tried to put konsole in the tray. I'll have to try that. One question - why launch konsole from Yakuake? Why not just use Yakuake? Another possible workaround: I keep an open konsole on my desktop at all times. It is transparent and has no scroll bars, frame, title bar or menus.

Anyway: A talented guy here - OneLine - has posted one way to put konsole in the tray:

ksystraycmd --startonshow --keeprunning --tooltip "Hi, I'm your terminal launcher" --ownicon --icon roll konsole

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
      Just a guess but the "gtk" part stands for GNOME tool kit. The program may not use the KDE system tray properly.
      Oh, I see!
      Anyway. I think it's not important .
      I can click the menu or desktop icon (for a tray icon) or fire the keyboard shortcut (without tray icon).

I've never tried to put konsole in the tray. I'll have to try that. One question - why launch konsole from Yakuake? Why not just use Yakuake?
      Actually that's what I did.
      Maybe "launcing konsole with it" is not the correct phrase.
      I wrote it, just because at Yakuake's site, it says that it's a front end for konsole.
      Sorry for the confusion!

Another possible workaround: I keep an open konsole on my desktop at all times. It is transparent and has no scroll bars, frame, title bar or menus.

Anyway: A talented guy here - OneLine - has posted one way to put konsole in the tray:

ksystraycmd --startonshow --keeprunning --tooltip "Hi, I'm your terminal launcher" --ownicon --icon roll konsole
      I show it. Google points to it, at the very first results.
      Seems good, but I think I'll stick to yakuake.
      Since it's all the time active in memory, it's very fast in response.
      Only an F12 away.

But do you think a bug report must be filled (excluding the gtk program. For konsole and system guard)?
      And for what component?
      THANKS for your help!!!
      Kubuntu 13.10 saucy 3.11.0-12-generic 64bit (el_GR.UTF-8, kde-plasma), Windows 7
      AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5600+ ‖ RAM 1750 MiB ‖ ALiveNF6P-VSTA
      nVidia C61 [GeForce 6150SE nForce 430] [10de:03d0] {nvidia}
      eth0: nVidia MCP61 Ethernet [10de:03ef] (rev a2)

Comment

Working...
      X