Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to Add Printer on Other Linux Computer on LAN?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Firewall

People say that all the time but it's false. UFW, although installed by default, is not set to block any ports at installation. All ports are unblocked by default, not blocked. (The term open means the port is actively being used to pass traffic.)

I'm not sure why people perpetuate that falsehood.

I also have a network printer at 192.168.1.102. When I Add a printer using the System Settings -> Printer Configuration -> New Printer button it locates the printer on the network automatically and installs it. It is fairly automatic (and has been for me at least since Lucid).

An alternative is to manually install the printer, in which case for a network printer I use the "AppSocket/HP JetDirect" type of connection (which is for network printers) and leave the port at 9100 (which is fairly standard for networked printers). The Host is the IP address of the network printer (in this example 192.168.1.102, without the http://).

When the printer is successfully installed, the URI becomes

socket://192.168.1.102:9100

If there is a problem, the URI can be edited to resemble that format.

For someone who HAS enabled a firewall, obviously port 9100 must be unblocked.
    Last edited by perspectoff; Feb 08, 2013, 01:05 PM.

UbuntuGuide/KubuntuGuide

Right now the killer is being surrounded by a web of deduction, forensic science,
    and the latest in technology such as two-way radios and e-mail.

Comment

Originally posted by dmeyer View Post
      Open UFW and disable the firewall. Its enabled out of the box. If you don't have UFW then just give it a quick install.
      Thanks for the response. In both computers "ufw disable" said the firewall would be disabled upon restart. I rebooted both machines, and a test page job gave this message in cups:

Epson-85 Test Page anonymous 1k 1 processing since
      Sat 09 Feb 2013 09:31:12 AM EST
      "The printer is not responding."

Lane
      Lane Lester
      The Web Doctor

Comment

Originally posted by perspectoff View Post
        When the printer is successfully installed, the URI becomes

socket://192.168.1.102:9100
        I observed that cups found the Epson on the network, and this is the URI it provided:
        dnssd://EPSON%20Stylus%20Photo%20RX500%20%40%20GL1._ipp._t cp.local/cups
        Unfortunately, that's the one that gave the "printer not responding."

So I tried this for the connection: socket://192.168.1.102:9100
        and I got a different message!
        Epson-87 Unknown Withheld 1k 1 processing since
        Sat 09 Feb 2013 09:41:12 AM EST
        "The printer is busy."

Regretfully, the printer is not busy and is sitting there waiting for something to do! :-)

Lane
        Lane Lester
        The Web Doctor

Comment

Originally posted by LaneLester View Post
          I observed that cups found the Epson on the network, and this is the URI it provided:
          dnssd://EPSON%20Stylus%20Photo%20RX500%20%40%20GL1._ipp._t cp.local/cups
          Unfortunately, that's the one that gave the "printer not responding."

So I tried this for the connection: socket://192.168.1.102:9100
          and I got a different message!
          Epson-87 Unknown Withheld 1k 1 processing since
          Sat 09 Feb 2013 09:41:12 AM EST
          "The printer is busy."

Regretfully, the printer is not busy and is sitting there waiting for something to do! :-)

Lane
          Its possible the printer hasn't been told to accept/process jobs. Make sure it is accepting jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by dmeyer View Post
            Its possible the printer hasn't been told to accept/process jobs. Make sure it is accepting jobs.
            Wow, I sure thought I had found the solution. Based on your suggestion I checked the KDE dialog. There are three check boxes: Enable, Accepting, and Sharing. The first one was not checked! So I checked it and... wait for it...
            Epson-89 Unknown Withheld 1k 2 processing since Sat 09 Feb 2013 12:12:40 PM EST "The printer is busy."

Darn it!

Later: I couldn't find any information about the printer's status in the KDE stuff, so I use browser access to cups to get this:
            Stylus-Photo-RX500 (Idle, Accepting Jobs, Shared, Server Default)
            Description: EPSON Stylus Photo RX500
            Driver: Epson Stylus Photo RX500 - CUPS+Gutenprint v5.2.8-pre1 (color, 2-sided printing)
            Connection: usb://EPSON/Stylus%20Photo%20RX500?serial=L69040407201005590&i nterface=1
            Defaults: job-sheets=none, none media=na_letter_8.5x11in sides=one-sided

Lane
            Last edited by LaneLester; Feb 09, 2013, 11:30 AM.
            Lane Lester
            The Web Doctor

Comment

Doing some fiddling this morning, I see I have five printer entries in my machine:
              Code:
              ▼ Queue Name ▼	Description	Location	Make and Model	Status
              Epson	Epson 2	GL1	Epson Stylus Photo RX500 - CUPS+Gutenprint v5.2.8-pre1	Idle - "The printer is busy."
              PDF	PDF		Generic CUPS-PDF Printer	Idle
              Samsung	SAMSUNG ML 2150	Lane's Man Cave	Samsung ML-2151NPS Foomatic/Postscript (recommended)	Idle
              Samsung@192.168.1.102	Samsung	Lane's Man Cave	Samsung ML-2151NPS Foomatic/Postscript (recommended) on 192.168.1.102	Idle
              Stylus-Photo-RX500	EPSON Stylus Photo RX500	GL1	Epson Stylus Photo RX500 - CUPS+Gutenprint v5.2.8-pre1 on 192.168.1.102	Paused - "/usr/lib/cups/backend/ipp failed"
              The first three are described in my printers.conf. The bottom two display "Forbidden" if I click on their name in the Web CUPS interface. I'm thinking those two are the printer entries from my wife's laptop (GL1).

I'm wondering if the error at the bottom entry means there is an error on my wife's machine, rather than mine. I'll go see what I can see there, and then I'll add to this post anything that seems relevant.

Later: The entry at my wife's laptop seems OK:
              Code:
              Stylus-Photo-RX500 (Idle, Accepting Jobs, Shared, Server Default)
              Description:	EPSON Stylus Photo RX500
              Driver:	Epson Stylus Photo RX500 - CUPS+Gutenprint v5.2.8-pre1 (color, 2-sided printing)
              Connection:	usb://EPSON/Stylus%20Photo%20RX500?serial=L69040407201005590&interface=1
              Defaults:	job-sheets=none, none media=na_letter_8.5x11in sides=one-sided
              Yet there are no jobs pending, and a job started on my computer reports this at my computer:
              Code:
              Epson-93  	Unknown  	Withheld  	6k  	1  	processing since
              Tue 12 Feb 2013 09:09:30 AM EST 
              "The printer is busy."
              Lane
              Last edited by LaneLester; Feb 12, 2013, 08:19 AM.
              Lane Lester
              The Web Doctor

Comment

Working...
              X