Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Default application icons are all over my desktop after a K12.10 install. Removal?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Default application icons are all over my desktop after a K12.10 install. Removal?

One of the previous pleasures I had was the fact that kubuntu allowed me to configure my computer the way I want.

I just installed Kubuntu 12.10 and the desktop filled with shortcut icons to the default applications. I would prefer if I could remove them. I tried right-clicking on them expecting the remove option, but no such luck.

They forced widgets that I use daily off the screen at the bottom of the desktop. The list is as follows:

Rekonq System Settings Dolphin Back Search Gwenview KSnapshot Kamoso Krita LibreOffice Draw Okular and Skanlite.

I have no problem with any of them but rekonk, however I prefer they are in my favorites segment of the Kmenu Icon on my Panel.

No offense to the guy with the idea. I am sure it is a great improvement for many users. I prefer analog time, download speed, the weather, drive space volume, and download widgets.

This is on the screen of my laptop. I would attach a screen print of how I like my desktop to look, but I can't get the unwanted Icons off the screen.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Shabakthanai; Feb 03, 2013, 07:08 AM. Reason: didn't notice a couple of errors

1. What Activity type are you in?

2. Did you unlock the widgets before trying to delete?

Comment

this is not the default setup for a new install ,,,,,,,did you keep your old /home from 12.04 or the last install ?

VINNY
      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
      16GB RAM
      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

If you are talking about 'the activity buttons on the panel, three colored dots' I have not yet discovered how to use that widget, so I remove it immediately when first configuring a new install. If that is what you are talking about, I clicked on those buttons to see what default was showing before I removed the three-dot icon from the panel. I remember it saying "Desktop", I believe. Additionally I believe it was purple in color. I guess I would like to know what advantage the widget has and how to use it, but I haven't taken the time for that yet. As far as unlocking the widgets before trying to remove them, yes. I tried it with widgets locked and also with widgets unlocked. Thanks!
        Last edited by Shabakthanai; Feb 03, 2013, 02:21 PM. Reason: made a couple of typing errors I did not notice, sorry

Comment

Screenshot would help us understand what does on.

But to me it sounds like you are using plasma-netbook or at least the search and launch activity.

If you are using plasma-netbook (default if you have a netbook) you can change to a normal desktop via System settings > workspace behavior > workspace > change the workspace type to desktop..

Alliteratively you can just change the desktop type by right clicking the desktop > settings > change layout to default desktop.

Comment

Originally posted by dmeyer View Post
            1. What Activity type are you in?

2. Did you unlock the widgets before trying to delete?
            If you are talking about the three-colored-dots on my panel during installation, I don't even know how that works and haven't been curious enough to look into it. Upon fresh install it is one of the first panel options I remove. I have opened it though and found the word Desktop over a purple icon. Is that what you are talking about? My keyboard is behaving a little buggy at the moment, your number two disappeared on my reply, but here is my answer, yes, I tried to remove the unwanted desktop widgets while both locked and unlocked and neither worked.

Comment

Click on the K Menu icon and select System Settings > Workspace Behavior > Workspace

What is listed as the Workspace Type? If it shows Netbook click on Netbook and select Desktop and click the Apply button.
              Windows no longer obstructs my view.
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by james147 View Post
                Screenshot would help us understand what does on.
                I don't know how to attach a screenshop.

But to me it sounds like you are using plasma-netbook or at least the search and launch activity.
                If you are talking about the three-colored-dots that appear on the panel when first I install, I do not understand their function nor have I been curious enough to know yet. I remove them immediately when I begin configuring the desktop.

If you are using plasma-netbook (default if you have a netbook) you can change to a normal desktop via System settings > workspace behavior > workspace > change the workspace type to desktop.
                When I start the computer, on the login screen, I believe it says, "KDE Plasma Workspace".
                If you are using plasma-netbook (default if you have a netbook) you can change to a normal desktop > settings > change layout to default desktop.
                That is precicely how it is currently configured.
                Alliteratively you can just change the desktop type by right clicking the desktop > settings > change layout to default desktop.
                That also is how I am currently set up. My keyboard has been acting extremely buggy; I have had to restore data that you wrote in my reply post several times. I don't even know if this reply will post correctly. Right now in the top-center of this reply box is the following: (in the middle of typing the cursor jumped and data was lost) again, it says: span.cke_browser_gecko.cke_focus. Do you know what that refers to? My keyboard is acting like it has a virus, but that never happens in Kubuntu, does it?
                Last edited by Snowhog; Feb 03, 2013, 03:50 PM. Reason: MISSED TYPO

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                  Click on the K Menu icon and select System Settings > Workspace Behavior > Workspace

What is listed as the Workspace Type? If it shows Netbook click on Netbook and select Desktop and click the Apply button.
                  I made the change to Desktop, I must have been looking in the system settings folder on my PC, when I kept confirming I always had it as Desktop. Pretty stupid, but at least pretty.

In any event, after restarting the Laptop the problem remains. Then just to be sure, I turned the laptop off for several seconds before turning it back on to see if that would change the confituration. No such luck.

What is it? Is it a "Netbook" alternative to KDE? Or do you think I have perhaps gotten the first Kubuntu virus. It sure acts like one.
                  Last edited by Shabakthanai; Feb 04, 2013, 01:01 PM. Reason: I made the wrong answer, I will correct in the body of this post

Comment

Hopefully I discovered how to post a screenshot.

file:///home/steven/Pictures/MyPreferred desktop.pngfile:///home/steven/Pictures/ScrewedDesktop.png

Comment

To insert an image into a reply you must either have typed something in the reply, or you must click your mouse in the reply window then:

Click on the Insert Image icon.
                      Click on From Computer
                      Click on the Choose File button.
                      Navigate to the image file you want to insert and click on it.
                      Click on Upload File(s).
                      Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I asked once but I'll ask again are you using a /home partition from a previous install ?

VINNY
                        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                        16GB RAM
                        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Hi Snowhog,

It is and always has been configured as Desktop, never Netbook. Do you know how to post an image? If so, I have the question posted; please describe how to do it.
                          Last edited by Shabakthanai; Feb 03, 2013, 04:54 PM. Reason: said posts instead of posted

Comment

Yes, but during this installation all the data was lost.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                              To insert an image into a reply you must either have typed something in the reply, or you must click your mouse in the reply window then:

Click on the Insert Image icon.
                              Click on From Computer
                              Click on the Choose File button.
                              Navigate to the image file you want to insert and click on it.
                              Click on Upload File(s).
                              I must be blind, where is the image icon located?
                              Last edited by Snowhog; Feb 03, 2013, 06:45 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X