Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Default application icons are all over my desktop after a K12.10 install. Removal?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shabakthanai View Post
    Yes, but during this installation all the data was lost.
    Data lost? Data is almost never "lost" with a modern distro. Things might get corrupted but recovery is usually quite easy. Can you describe your data loss? Its a very very serious issue and if true should be taken seriously by everybody. The devs would want to be notified as would other users.

I hope you just reformatted the partition by mistake or simply wrote over it.

Comment

I must be blind, where is the image icon located?
      See:
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Snowhog; Feb 03, 2013, 06:55 PM.
      Windows no longer obstructs my view.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Yes, but during this installation all the data was lost.
        ? slow down a moment and post the output of these 2 comands run in a konsole wile loged into your system

Code:
        df -h
        and
        Code:
        sudo parted -l
        the -l is a lower case L

VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

I may have too many irons in the fire, the problem from this post is on my laptop, and since the HDD is only 500gb, and because my daughter gave it to me so that I would have Windows application so that I could view Netflix (by the way, my version of Netflix on my Kubuntu 12.10 Desktop PC is a bit buggy yet.), I divided the HDD into 2 approximate equal parts. I did not have a separate partition for /home in that first install, however when I created the partitions in the Kubuntu 12.10 fresh install, after the stalled upgrade, I created a separate /home partition for the fresh install. I thought it made sense, since I screw up so much. Then if the OS crashes to an unrecoverable state, I would save the data on the /home partition. Vinny, on the other issue of clicking on, I think you said something like, "post image or attach image" to attach an image to my post, i just don't see that icon. I don't know why. I replied to Snowhog on the same issue.

Comment

Originally posted by dmeyer View Post
            Data lost? Data is almost never "lost" with a modern distro. Things might get corrupted but recovery is usually quite easy. Can you describe your data loss? Its a very very serious issue and if true should be taken seriously by everybody. The devs would want to be notified as would other users.

I don't know. The folders were still present, even the custom choice of icons representing the different folders, but when I opened them, all the folders were empty. Same with my email program. I have never experienced anything like it, but nothing surprises me anymore. I just supposed it was something I did unaware. I really did not think of it as an OS failure or KDE, I just assumed it was me.

Comment

Originally posted by dmeyer View Post

Although there is probably no mistake that I haven't repeated, I don't think so. And if, for instance I did format the drive by mistake, how would the customized icons return. I really don't think I did that. I have partitioned HDD's probably 40 or 50 times since I started computing, and that would be a first for that type of error. I suppose it is possible, but what about the customized icons?

Comment

My screen does not include any of the format options you are showing. I would love to have that.

Comment

steven@Yeshuah-Laptop:~$ df -h
                  Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
                  /dev/sda3 15G 4.5G 9.0G 34% /
                  udev 3.9G 12K 3.9G 1% /dev
                  tmpfs 1.6G 896K 1.6G 1% /run
                  none 5.0M 0 5.0M 0% /run/lock
                  none 3.9G 80K 3.9G 1% /run/shm
                  none 100M 8.0K 100M 1% /run/user
                  /dev/sda6 181G 492M 171G 1% /home
                  steven@Yeshuah-Laptop:~$ sudo parted -l
                  [sudo] password for steven:
                  Model: ATA TOSHIBA MK5076GS (scsi)
                  Disk /dev/sda: 500GB
                  Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
                  Partition Table: msdos

Number Start End Size Type File system Flags
                  1 1049kB 1574MB 1573MB primary ntfs diag
                  2 1574MB 280GB 278GB primary ntfs boot
                  3 280GB 295GB 15.4GB primary ext4
                  4 295GB 500GB 205GB extended
                  5 295GB 303GB 7999MB logical linux-swap(v1)
                  6 303GB 500GB 197GB logical ext4

steven@Yeshuah-Laptop:~$

Comment

Originally posted by james147 View Post
                    Screenshot would help us understand what does on.

But to me it sounds like you are using plasma-netbook or at least the search and launch activity.

If you are using plasma-netbook (default if you have a netbook) you can change to a normal desktop via System settings > workspace behavior > workspace > change the workspace type to desktop..

Alliteratively you can just change the desktop type by right clicking the desktop > settings > change layout to default desktop.
                    It is definately set to "Desktop". Can this have anything to do with the widget with 3 colored dots that I removed from my panel?
                    Last edited by Shabakthanai; Feb 05, 2013, 02:27 AM. Reason: entered a bad character

Comment

I don't ever remember choosing an activity type, I just remember deleting the one with the 3 colored dots that seems to be installed by default. I don't remember unlocking the widgets, but I think I just right-clicked on the 3 colored dots and chose remove this widget.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	ScrewedDesktop.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	18.7 KB
ID:	640261This looks a little different since the last import of scrnpnt. Nevertheless, if both before and after prints appear you will see why I need help. Thanks! If it doesn't work this time I will try again. Thanks for your patience.

Comment

This is the way it is supposed to look: Click image for larger version

Name:	MyPreferred desktop.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	640262

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3967[/ATTACH]This looks a little different since the last import of scrnpnt. Nevertheless, if both before and after prints appear you will see why I need help. Thanks! If it doesn't work this time I will try again. Thanks for your patience.
                            That is the search and launch desktop style, right click the page > configure search and launch > change the destop type to "desktop"

Comment

Working...
                            X