This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alt-Gr doesn't work properly

In every other *buntu or DE + Ubuntu Minimal Alt-Gr+Key works expectedly, but not in Kubuntu or Ubuntu Minimal + KDE-full.

"Alt-Gr 8" produces "•" instead of "[" for example, same for the other keys. Again, I've edited the /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/tr file (and have deleted all the *.xkm files in /var/lib/xkb) to get "—" by pressing "Alt-Gr -", but I get "≠" instead.

Can you help?

(System language US English, locale Turkey, keyboard layout Turkish f variant.)

Have you set the "Compose Key Position" in System Settings -> Input Devices -> Keyboard -> Advanced?

I have mine set to use the right-ALT (the ALT-GR key), and now I can do things like hold and release ALT-GR and A, followed by E, and it gives me a Æ, or hold and release ALT-GR and t, followed by m and I get a ™.

If you do a web search for "KDE diacritics", you'll be able to find lists of many different symbols you can make with this method, and the combinations of keys needed to make them.
    sigpic
    "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
    -- Douglas Adams

Comment

Thanks Halation; yes I've set the compose key (Menu) and yes I can use it instead, but it would be easier to use just the 3hd level chooser (Alt-Gr here) as some signs/characters are visible on some keys and one doesn't have to memorize many key combinations (as one has to by using the compose key).

A little rant: absence of this basic thing in the richest DE with all its (SSD killing, resource hungry and mostly useless and hated) features (akonadi, nepomuk, activities, strigi...) is very ironic.

Comment

Working...
      X