Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Desktop folder still has icons, but I lose them, and wallpaper on desktop.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Desktop folder still has icons, but I lose them, and wallpaper on desktop.

Alright, so I was hoping I wouldn't be posting in here again so soon, but I am have a problem stated in the title. I am not sure what it is causing it. I have googled for an hour, but couldn't find a thread that described thus problem exactly. I haven't upgraded anything, though I did instal some packages. Any help would be great.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2
    Kubuntu version 12.04
    KDE version 4.8.5
    Computer HP dv5
    Cpu dual core 2 gig
    Gpu Nvidia GeForce 9200m
    Ram 4 gigs
    Display twinview Laptop, and 32 inch Vizio

Don't delete anything called ".directory"! Thats a mistake a lot of people make.

Now. Are you running off a live usb or an installed disk? Give us details about your install namely Kubuntu and KDE version plus a little history like migrated from one pc to another. What applications did you install?

Comment

Thanks for responding dmeyer. I am running on a installed disk. Dual booting with windows 8. Fresh Install. The versions are listed in my signature. Complete newb when it comes to Linux. I have installed Nvidia driver 304.64. I altered it in the fact that i enabled composite in Kate to allow desktop effects. Running a few effects as well. Installed pulse audio, and configured it, and phonon to allow audio through hdmi. Installed wine, haven't used along with playonlinux. Installed chrome. Installed rhythmbox, and vlc. Installed recordmydesktop. Changed desktop, and curser themes. Updated last night with security updates in hopes that it wouldn't hurt anything. That is about as far as i have got with this. The icons, wallpaper, and widgets are sticking as of right now. Have had a couple of instances of not shutting down, or restarting without using terminal. If there is anything else i should list, let me know. I am really enjoying it so far, but like i said, i am completely new to linux. I recognize the file structure from android, and understand it for the most part, just want to get it set up correctly so i can ditch Windows 8. Thanks
      Kubuntu version 12.04
      KDE version 4.8.5
      Computer HP dv5
      Cpu dual core 2 gig
      Gpu Nvidia GeForce 9200m
      Ram 4 gigs

Comment

Have you done a lot of configuration? You could logout and the drop to a tty then try
        Code:
        mv ~/.kde/share/config ~/.kde/share/config_old
        Log back in then. See if that helped at all. If you have an issue with permissions it might explain the cause of the problem Obviously then just repeat the command with sudo.

Comment

Edit Thanks, will do when I get home on a couple of hours thanks.
          Last edited by jeramyeggs; Feb 01, 2013, 11:09 AM.
          Kubuntu version 12.04
          KDE version 4.8.5
          Computer HP dv5
          Cpu dual core 2 gig
          Gpu Nvidia GeForce 9200m
          Ram 4 gigs

Comment

if you have file permission problems then you should NOT MOVE the file again. you should instead chown your home folder back to your user. with a command like
            Code:
            sudo chown -R USERNAME:USERGROUP /home/USERNAME
            please note: username and usergroup are usually the same.

that command will be sure that all files in your home folder belong to your user.

every file in your home folder should be yours. on a unix like system each user has their own configuration files in their home folder. if you can't write to your home directory then you can't save your settings.
            Last edited by sithlord48; Feb 01, 2013, 07:11 PM.
            Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
            (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Originally posted by sithlord48 View Post
              if you have file permission problems then you should NOT MOVE the file again. you should instead chown your home folder back to your user. with a command like
              Code:
              sudo chown -R USERNAME:USERGROUP /home/USERNAME
              please note: username and usergroup are usually the same.

that command will be sure that all files in your home folder belong to your user.

every file in your home folder should be yours. on a unix like system each user has their own configuration files in their home folder. if you can't write to your home directory then you can't save your settings.
              This is definitely the more correct approach. I just thought that maybe only the config files were the wrong permission as he hasn't really complained about other issues.

Comment

Well guys, like I said, I am completely new, and it was a very newb mistake. I clicked on activity manager, and changed from desktop to photos, and that's how everything disappeared. I didn't even realize I did it..Since then, I have downloaded the user guide, and promise to read, and reread it before ever posting another help thread. I fought for days trying to get my graphics card to play nice, along with audio, and was afraid I messed with settings I shouldn't have. Though I learn from all of the good advice, I need to test the waters before diving head first into a rock. I started this journey to try and compile cm roms, and some custom stuff for android. I thought since I knew so much about it, that this would be easy to pick up. I can't put it down, but I keep getting bit from my own ignorance. I am going to hold off on the android stuff, and learn what I am doing here before progressing. It is nice knowing that you guys provide such great help, and interest in helping dumb people like me. Thanks to both of you.

Kubuntu version 12.04
                KDE version 4.8.5
                Computer HP dv5
                Cpu dual core 2 gig
                Gpu Nvidia GeForce 9200m
                Ram 4 gigs

Comment

Originally posted by jeramyeggs View Post
                  I started this journey to try and compile cm roms, and some custom stuff for android. I thought since I knew so much about it, that this would be easy to pick up. I can't put it down, but I keep getting bit from my own ignorance. I am going to hold off on the android stuff, and learn what I am doing here before progressing. It is nice knowing that you guys provide such great help, and interest in helping dumb people like me. Thanks to both of you.

when you get around to the Android stuff search for the android-sdk linux install guides on the android site and folow them then install the eclipse ver. from your package manager and you will have a nice development environment
                  I had it going on my Kubuntu-12.04 install for the adb shell to facilitate rooting a HTC-G1 ,,,,,,, however a problem with a PPA I used (xorg.edgers) and removed with ppa-purge also removed eclipse and I have never gotten around to fixing it ....LOL

VINNY
                  i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                  16GB RAM
                  Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Working...
                  X