Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have lost my connection to the Internet. How do I establish a new connection.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have lost my connection to the Internet. How do I establish a new connection.

Connection to the Internet has been an automatic proposition in the past. I believe my Internet connection is working because I am connected right now on my laptop to my local network. I do not remember doing anything that could have caused this. I have Kubuntu 13.04 running on a VirtualBox on the same computer and it is connected. What do you recommend?

What happens when you ping out?

Comment

I have checked with my ISP and everything is working properly, both modem and router. I checked with the manufaturer of the router, and they say that the router is functioning properly, however they suggest that there is a problem with the software in the Desktop PC.

My daughter gave me a laptop that has Vista on it. I am unable to locate information on it; each time the cure is to buy something to do the work for me. I use Vista so little, that I don't feel I can afford the expense of all these supposedly necessary applications. I suppose it is easier to operate than I think.

I am wondering if the IP address differs from Kubuntu to Vista. If they are the same, having the IP address could help me, I believe. Do any of you know how to find my IP address on my Vista laptop? Thanks in advance.

Here is what I got on my laptop, which is on my local network:

Ping – Shows how long it takes for packets to reach host

IP address or host name: 65.185.99.140

packets transmitted 9
      received 0
      packet loss 100 %
      time 8003 ms

On my PC, is says Server not found
      Haven't done that in so long, I can't remember how, but neither browser connects to any sites. eth1 says it is connected and eth0 is not. I believe my local network is on eth0. When I went to system settings, networking, the only conversation relates to VPN. I open VB Kubuntu 13.04 and networking works on the virtual maching. I just do not have any rememberable network knowledge. After I post this reply, I will google ping and see if I can get an answer for you.
      Originally posted by dmeyer View Post
      What happens when you ping out?
      This is curious for me. I was thinking of checking with the ISP relating to the problem and with the router manufacturer, but stopped because it did not make sense. On the same computer, I am able to connect with the Internet while in a virtual machine, and at the same time, use the Internet using my wireless laptop. I don't know if this will pre-answer a question but hope so.
      Last edited by Shabakthanai; Jan 31, 2013, 03:17 PM. Reason: additional information

Comment

65.185.99.140 is a road runner DNS and wont return your ping's ,,,,let me guess you actually did a "ping out",,,,,if you want to use ping to see if you have net connection try something like "ping google.com" ctrl+c will stop it.

at this point I think something with your VM is messing with your net ,,,,,but what.
        well lets see the basics post the output of these comands
        Code:
        lspci
        and
        Code:
        sudo ifconfig -a
        for starters

VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

When I try to copy the data and paste it in the reply, it pastes only this: 00. The data re networking is as follows:

06:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gagabit Ethernet controller (rev 03)
          07:00.0 IDE interface: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88SE6121 SATA II / PATA Controller (rev b2)

I can't understand why, but I am unable to copy the command result and paste it into the reply. Here is what was the result of the second command:

Steven@Yeshuah:~$ sudo ifconfig -a
          [sudo] password for steven:
          eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:13:20:28:01:88
          inet address: 192.168.0.103 Bcast:192.168.0.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
          inet6 addr: fe80::213:20ff:f328:188/64 Scope:Link
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 METRIC:1
          RX packets:8396 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0

Originally posted by Shabakthanai View Post
          Here is what I got on my laptop, which is on my local network:

Ping – Shows how long it takes for packets to reach host

IP address or host name: 65.185.99.140

packets transmitted 9
          received 0
          packet loss 100 %
          time 8003 ms

On my PC, is says Server not found
          Haven't done that in so long, I can't remember how, but neither browser connects to any sites. eth1 says it is connected and eth0 is not. I believe my local network is on eth0. When I went to system settings, networking, the only conversation relates to VPN. I open VB Kubuntu 13.04 and networking works on the virtual maching. I just do not have any rememberable network knowledge. After I post this reply, I will google ping and see if I can get an answer for you. This is curious for me. I was thinking of checking with the ISP relating to the problem and with the router manufacturer, but stopped because it did not make sense. On the same computer, I am able to connect with the Internet while in a virtual machine, and at the same time, use the Internet using my wireless laptop. I don't know if this will pre-answer a question but hope so.

Comment

When in a console, and you've copied a selection of any output, you are using the mouse to click+drag to highlight the selection. Then you are either 1) right-clicking and choosing Copy, or 2) using the shortcut Ctl+Shift+C. Then, to post what you've copied into a reply here, you right-click your mouse and select Past. This works.
            Windows no longer obstructs my view.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I don't know what just happened, but in the middle of typing the konsole response, I believe I hit a wrong key and the entire reply disappeared. I will have to do it over. By the way, I am unable to copy the command data and paste it into my reply. When I try it just prints two '00's'. Of the lspci command the only info relating to networking is as follows:
              06:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8186B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 03)
              07:00.0 IDE interface: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88SE6121 SATA II / PATA Controller (rev b2)

and

steven@Yeshuah:~$ sudo ifconfig -a
              [sudo] password for steven:
              eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:13:20:28:01:88
              inet addr:192.168.0.103 Bcast:192.168.0.255 Mask:255:255:255.0

inet addr: fe80::213:20ff:fe28:188/64 Scope:Link
              UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 METRIC:1
              RX bytes:2924413 (2.9 MB) TX bytes:604503 (604.5 KB)

eth1 Link encap:ethernet HWaddr 00:1a:66:b4:b9:ab
              inet addr:174.102.32.219 Bcast:174.102.39.255 Mask:255.255.248.0
              inet6 addr: fe80::21a:66ff:feb4:b9ab/64 Scope:Link
              UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
              RX packets:21774 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
              TX packets:203 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
              collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
              RX bytes:1069243 (1.0 MB) TX bytes:50188 (50.1 KB)

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
              inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
              inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
              UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
              RX packets:328 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
              TX packets:328 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
              collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
              RX bytes:24476 (24.4 KB) TX bytes:24476 (24.4 KB)

Typing that is rough for a man with a missing finger.

What next?
              Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
              65.185.99.140 is a road runner DNS and wont return your ping's ,,,,let me guess you actually did a "ping out",,,,,if you want to use ping to see if you have net connection try something like "ping google.com" ctrl+c will stop it.

at this point I think something with your VM is messing with your net ,,,,,but what.
              well lets see the basics post the output of these comands
              Code:
              lspci
              and
              Code:
              sudo ifconfig -a
              for starters

VINNY
              I contacted the ISP and confirmed the modem was working properly and connecting to the router. I contacted DLink to get help with router connections. They suggested everything was working properly, and when I mentioned my problem happened when I was messing with configuration in my VB, they thought my problem either occurred there, or there was a problem with my Desktop PC.
              Last edited by Shabakthanai; Jan 31, 2013, 08:36 AM. Reason: additional information

Comment

I have fixed the problem by reinstalling the operating system. Thanks for your help, my friends.

Comment

Working...
                X