X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Firefox Browser Installer removal.

Hi! :-)

Please take a look at this (solved?) bug: 439431
    I don't think its solved. I still had this package (after Firefox installation) and I uninstalled it manually (from Synaptic).

I don't agree either with the high importance, that is marked though.
    You just have to uninstall for your own (since automatic uninstallation desn't work).

Does someone else had the same (buggy?) behavior of kubuntu-firefox-installer?
    What do you think?
    Do I have to add a comment in Launchpad, mentioning that this specific bug still exist for me in Quantal x64?
    Kubuntu 13.10 saucy 3.11.0-12-generic 64bit (el_GR.UTF-8, kde-plasma), Windows 7
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5600+ ‖ RAM 1750 MiB ‖ ALiveNF6P-VSTA
    nVidia C61 [GeForce 6150SE nForce 430] [10de:03d0] {nvidia}
    eth0: nVidia MCP61 Ethernet [10de:03ef] (rev a2)

hi.

Did you use the kubuntu-firefox-installer to install firefox or did you install it 'manually'? I still had the installer as leftover but I never use the installer. With a new system there's always other packages that I need so CLI installation is much quicker, thus leaving the installer on the system.
    As far as I remember I think the installer icon in the menu is removed when installing either way, but I'm not 100% certain this is the case.

Off topic I think a greater 'issue' is that there should be a web browser installer suite with more options then just FF, for those that prefer Chrome/ium and other Free/Open browsers.

b.r

Jonas
    ASUS M4A87TD | AMD Ph II x6 | 12 GB ram | MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti (448 Cuda cores)
    Kubuntu 12.04 KDE 4.9.x (x86_64) - Debian "Squeeze" KDE 4.(5x) (x86_64)
    Acer TimelineX 4820 TG | intel i3 | 4 GB ram| ATI Radeon HD 5600
    Kubuntu 12.10 KDE 4.10 (x86_64) - OpenSUSE 12.3 KDE 4.10 (x86_64)
    - Officially free from windoze since 11 dec 2009
    >>>>>>>>>>>> Support KFN <<<<<<<<<<<<<

Comment

Originally posted by Jonas View Post
      hi.

Did you use the kubuntu-firefox-installer to install firefox or did you install it 'manually'? I still had the installer as leftover but I never use the installer. With a new system there's always other packages that I need so CLI installation is much quicker, thus leaving the installer on the system.
      As far as I remember I think the installer icon in the menu is removed when installing either way, but I'm not 100% certain this is the case.
      Yes, I used the menu installer, Firefox installed and the menu entry removed.
      Only the package kubuntu-firefox-installer left behind, that I uninstalled it manually.

Originally posted by Jonas View Post
      Off topic I think a greater 'issue' is that there should be a web browser installer suite with more options then just FF, for those that prefer Chrome/ium and other Free/Open browsers.

b.r

Jonas
      Theoretically I don't see the reason for custom installers, since there's always the usual installation process (apt-get).
      Despite that, I agree with you for the need of this particular installer (that indeed needs to expanded and give the option for more browsers), because *Ubuntu are "The First Contact", for many people without prior *NIX experience.

Going offtopic too, I'm using Synaptic because I prefer to do potentially dangerous operations (like installing apps, or upgrading the entire distro) through a GUI, just for being sure, what I'm doing. :-)
      Kubuntu comes with a couple of very beautiful Muon installers, with really nice screenshot gallerys and browsing around program catalogs, is a pleasure.
      I removed them, because I think they're still missing some features.
      One of them doesn't display the installed files (useful if you're looking for the txt or html documentation, man pages etc.) and the other one displays a very beautiful blue bar (during installation), but I prefer the Synaptic's console output (without autoclosing in success).
      I hope some day, Muon will add the console output to its options.

THANKS Jonas for your help!!! :-)
      Kubuntu 13.10 saucy 3.11.0-12-generic 64bit (el_GR.UTF-8, kde-plasma), Windows 7
      AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5600+ ‖ RAM 1750 MiB ‖ ALiveNF6P-VSTA
      nVidia C61 [GeForce 6150SE nForce 430] [10de:03d0] {nvidia}
      eth0: nVidia MCP61 Ethernet [10de:03ef] (rev a2)

Comment

Working...
      X