This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

another blank screen problem

I read about many similar problems and tried each solution, but I have not found one that fixes the problem.

I installed Kubuntu and it worked fine. As I was messing with the settings, I tried to get my second monitor working so I would have dual monitors. After I applied the settings, it said I had to restart the X server so I did. It went to the screen with the low resolution blue logo, but had no words underneath. Now, that is all I get. I opened the xorg.conf file, but I have no idea what to change. If there is a way to reset all settings or something, that would be fine. Otherwise, how do I undo the dual monitor settings and get it working just with my laptop LCD? I have a Nividia video card and the driver settings is set to nv.

Thank you for the help.

Re: another blank screen problem

1)If you are lucky, just use your backup (xorg.conf~):
    sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf~ /etc/X11/xorg.conf

2)Reconfigure your graphic settings:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
    (reconfiguring makes backupfile: xorg.conf.20060724102828 -> year month day hour minutes seconds)

3)Try xorg helppers:
    kX Generator
    http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show.php?content=39085
    Description:
    kX Generator is a utilitty to configure the X server by modyfying X configuration file (xorg.conf).
    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Re: another blank screen problem

The first option failed, probably because I do not have a backup. The second option took forever and I did not know what I was doing, but I just selected most of the defaults, and now it seems to work just fine. Thanks for the help.

Comment

Working...
      X