This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Enabling Audio through hdmi

Hi there. I just started my journey into linux, and have test drove 3 different distros. I settled on Kubuntu because i like the look. Can you tell I am a newb yet? Anyway, I have it dual booting on a HP dv5. It has a dual core centrino with an onboard GEforce 9200. I have installed the (current) GPU drivers, and have been able to use Nvidia controller X to get video out of hdmi. Now audio out to hdmi being a pita. I have gone into Phonen, and selected all varibles of hdmi, and i lose sound out of the laptop, without audio playback from the Vizio Tv I have connected. I have opened Alsa mixer, and there is no sound bar for hdmi. I have tried using pavucontrol, and adjusting the audio there as well. I have read through some guides trying to find my problem, and have come out wwith nothing. I am very new to all of this, but am a quick learner. Would anyone want to help me get this set up? I have been going at it for a couple of days, and feel like the answer is just eluding me while i am beating my head against a wall. I jst need some guidance. If I need to clarify my set up, or have forgotten important details, just let me know as this is my first post here. Thanks in Advance....
    Kubuntu version 12.04
    KDE version 4.8.5
    Computer HP dv5
    Cpu dual core 2 gig
    Gpu Nvidia GeForce 9200m
    Ram 4 gigs
    Display twinview Laptop, and 32 inch Vizio

when you have alsamixer open is the PCM channel up ?
    on the Audio setup page chang just this one

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Thanks Vinny, I have tried what you show there, and do have pcm at 100%. I still have no volume thruogh the hdmi. To be honest, When i run it on a usb drive, I don't have to mess with Nvidia X Server to even get the Tv to display. Now I get display on the TV, but can not configure it in display settings. There are several other deivers that I can try. Would this be the easiest way to go? Comingfrom a complete newb, how do you get the dark theme for your desktop? I have seen it a couple of times, and really enjoy it. I know, one thing at a time, but I am really enjoying this so far.
      Last edited by jeramyeggs; Jan 27, 2013, 09:09 PM.
      Kubuntu version 12.04
      KDE version 4.8.5
      Computer HP dv5
      Cpu dual core 2 gig
      Gpu Nvidia GeForce 9200m
      Ram 4 gigs

Comment

I had a similar problem and the only way I could fix it was by removing Pulse Audio. To do this, you can go into Muon Package Manager and search for "pulseaudio." It should be the first thing to come up in the search results. Mark it for Purge and then click Apply Changes in the top tool bar. You may have to restart your system for the changes to apply. Once you do this, go back into the audio settings menu vinnywright posted a pic of and find a device that works.

Note that this may affect other audio devices and may make things even weirder than now. If you want to revert these changes, simply reinstall the package pulseaudio and reboot.

Comment

it may help to know the sound card as well , open a konsole (press alt+F2 and type konsole in the run box and press enter) then type in this in the konsole and press enter then copy and past the output hear
          Code:
          lspci | grep -i audio
          and
          Code:
          aplay -l
          (thats a lower case L)

VINNY
          i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
          16GB RAM
          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Thanks guys, unfortunately, I am back in windows right now downloading movies to my tab. I appreciate the help, and am sorry that I didn't put what type of sound card I have. I have checked in windoze, and it says the manufacturer is windoze, and the PNP Id is HDAUDIO/FUNC_ 01&VEN_111D&DEV followed by a ton of alpha numerics. I want to get on this, but I am due for work in about 5 hours, and can't pull an all nighter. I am on tapa talk with notifications for this thread, but gotta crash for awhile. I will pick this cup tomorrow, and try your suggestions, and report back. Thanks again, and hopefully you guys will be around to help tomorrow.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2
            Kubuntu version 12.04
            KDE version 4.8.5
            Computer HP dv5
            Cpu dual core 2 gig
            Gpu Nvidia GeForce 9200m
            Ram 4 gigs

Comment

I was having the same problem with my setup, a Toshiba laptop connected to my TV via HDMI. If i leave the "Profile" box emty, it workes fine. If i select a profile, any profile, it wont work, even if i select "off". The only trouble is, that once you have selected someting, you can not leave it empty anymore unless you re-start. Another thing i noticed, is that not all music programmes will play back through HDMI. I never managed to get Clementine working, there don't seem to be an option for it in the setup, but Amarok is fine as is VLC. The same with a Youtube clip in Firefox, but that could have been a setup issue in Firefox i have missed. Once you downloaded the clip, its ok. So now, if i want to use, say Clementine or Youtube, i have to connect the sound via my headphone socket to the amp or TV.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by GerardV; Jan 28, 2013, 02:31 AM.
              sigpic

Comment

In my case I had to use the AMD drivers rather then xorg drivers. I also had to install and activate the VLC phonon back end(sorry don't recall the exact package).
                CPU: Intel Core i7 2600K
                Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H
                Memory: 2x4GB Corsair Dominator
                Graphics Card: MSI R7770
                Monitor: Dell 2208WFP
                Mouse: Mionix NAOS 5000
                PSU: Corsair 520HX
                Case: Thermaltake Mozart TX
                Cooling: Thermalright TRUE Black Ultra-120 eXtreme CPU Heatsink Rev C
                Hard Drives: 1x180 GB Intel 330 SSD - 1xWD 1 TB Caviar Black - 1xWD 2 TB Caviar Green - 2xWD 3 TB Caviar Green

Comment

Hey Vinny, I have the sound card info you requested. Her is from the first command.
                  0:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 03)

The next output is
                  ^[[6~**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
                  card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: STAC92xx Analog [STAC92xx Analog]
                  Subdevices: 1/1
                  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
                  card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 1: STAC92xx Digital [STAC92xx Digital]
                  card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]

I hope this helps you. I understand what it says, but have no idea of how to progress from here.I tried uninstalling pulse audio, but lose hdmi sound out of the laptop. With it installed, I have audio out of the laptop speakers when hdmi is chosen. Any guidance is appreciated, thanks.
                  Last edited by jeramyeggs; Jan 28, 2013, 05:02 PM.
                  Kubuntu version 12.04
                  KDE version 4.8.5
                  Computer HP dv5
                  Cpu dual core 2 gig
                  Gpu Nvidia GeForce 9200m
                  Ram 4 gigs

Comment

Originally posted by jeramyeggs View Post
                    I hope this helps you. I understand what it says, but have no idea of how to progress from here.I tried uninstalling pulse audio, but lose hdmi sound out of the laptop. With it installed, I have audio out of the laptop speakers when hdmi is chosen. Any guidance is appreciated, thanks.
                    With Pulse Audio uninstalled, did you try all of the audio channels? I have a dozen of them or so but only one sends pulse audio through HDMI. Just go through them all and press the Test button.

Another thing you might want to try is changing the backend. From the previously mentioned Audio Settings screen, click on the Backend tab. GStreamer is default, but sometimes VLC works better. You may have to install it first...the package name is phonon-backend-vlc. Once its installed, select it from the menu and then log in again to get settings to take effect. With VLC selected, agian try it with and without Pulse Audio going through all the different channels.

Im sure that you can get it, but its some obscure combination of settings that is probably specific to your hardware. Its a pain in the butt I know but consider it a learning experience

Comment

It has me in its teeth, and I mean that in a good way. I originally had Vista on this laptop, and every time I disconnected from my home network, I couldn't connect without power cycling. I then went and got windows 8, and it crashed multiple times because I was using avast. I can only use defender for antivirus, which takes one less choice away with their system. It crashed last night, and had to restore to a prior date, and wrecked chrome. I am tired of a paid os crashing more than my 3 year old android. I am at my kids karate right now, but will give vlc a chance when I get home. It is my favorite multimedia app. I consider all of this a learning experience. Though, I wish I had it setup, and was learning stuff that interests me more. I have cycled through almost all of Nvidia graphics drivers, and settled on the one that works for me. I am becoming much better inside the terminal, and commands. I have been playing with adb, and script apps for awhile, and I think I learned more in a week on Linux than years of doing it on android. Sorry I am long winded, but it hem trapped a slow kids function, this is more entertaining.lol
                      Thanks for the suggestions, and will report back on a little while.
                      Kubuntu version 12.04
                      KDE version 4.8.5
                      Computer HP dv5
                      Cpu dual core 2 gig
                      Gpu Nvidia GeForce 9200m
                      Ram 4 gigs

Comment

Uninstalling PulseAudio should usually be a last resort as it messes things up awfully.

Anyways, as somebody mentioned try alsamixer. However, plug the hdmi cable in and start the screen up. Now, in alsamixer press F6 and try changing your sound card there. Also make sure it shows "00" and not "MM" under the bar.

Comment

Alright, i have done all suggestions, and still at a loss. Am continuing to tinker, and see what happens.......

Edit: Hell yeah, I finally got it to work. How, you say? By following you guys suggestions over, and over. I googled, and found where another guy had posted the same problem, and it was because a s/pdif was muted. I know I had checked them before, but when I looked this time, sure enough one was muted. I unmuted, set to HDMI in both phone, and pulse, and victory. Thanks for wasting your guys time helping me. Can't wait to do the same for someone else when I have gotten better at this.

Sounds weak but the first thing I played was I dreamed a dream....

Edit 2: When I closed one of my windows, it showed 4 sound devices were removed from the system. I didn't do anything to do this. Not that I an complaining, because it works, but what happened? I know you guys won't have a definitive answer, but was wondering. Thanks to all that helped me....:thumbup:
                          Last edited by jeramyeggs; Jan 29, 2013, 03:42 PM.
                          Kubuntu version 12.04
                          KDE version 4.8.5
                          Computer HP dv5
                          Cpu dual core 2 gig
                          Gpu Nvidia GeForce 9200m
                          Ram 4 gigs

Comment

Alright, prob the last update to this thread. I have accomplished all of the things I was having trouble with(so far). Thanks for the help and encouragement. Now I am digging into all the guides to really get how it works underneath. Though it was a bumpy start, I gotta say that I am loving it. I know this will sound blasphemous, but it is like android on my PC. The customization is staggering. My wife just shakes her head when she catches me standing in front of my setup, smiling, and making cooing noises. Catch you guys later on a different thread, and hopefully it won't be me asking the dumb questions.....

Kubuntu version 12.04
                            KDE version 4.8.5
                            Computer HP dv5
                            Cpu dual core 2 gig
                            Gpu Nvidia GeForce 9200m
                            Ram 4 gigs

Comment

Glad you got it figured out. And welcome to Kubuntu!

Comment

Working...
                              X