X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wireless unavailable on restart after a connection was saved

Hi,

this will be a lot of text but I would like to describe my problem in as much detail as possible. The relevant information abouth my hardware is at the end.

Having installed Kubuntu 12.10 AMD64, I've been experiencing issues with the wireless connection. I've been previously running Ubuntu 12.04 without any issues.
    I made a live USB and in the live session, the wireless was available and I managed to connect to my router without any problems. I chose to perform a full install.

After a first restart following installation, there was a red cross on the network manager icon and clicking on it didn't reveil any networks and it said that "Wireless unavailable".
    I though that another restart may help and sursprisingly, it did. Wireless' connections were available, I connected to the router, the connection was stored and I chose to connect automatically.

Following another restart, the network manager indicated again that the "Wireless unavailable" and I couldn't see any connections. Looking at the "Network managment settings", my stored connection was there.

Next, I'm not sure whether I deleted the stored connection or just simply restarted, but this time I plugged in the wired connection and then I could connect to the Internet and also, the wireless was available and I could see other connections.

I took a chance and applied all of the available updates as I thought that perhaps it was a known issue that an update might have fixed. After updates were applied, I've restarted using only wireless connection and could see my connection and connect to it this time around.

Now I was happy because I thought updates fixed the problem. However, restarting again, same problem: "Wireless unavailable" and no connections to connect to!
    In anger, I deleted my previously stored connection and shut down and went for sleep. This morning, I started the computer, and wireless was working again!

It seems as though the network manager has troubles on restart after a connection has already been established and stored among "network connections". It seems to work after a restart (offering connection to connect to) only if no previous connections are stored.

Could anybody help me debug and fix this very anoying problem? Right now I am forced to connect manually after each restart and also must remember to delete the connection before each shutdown. I will happily provide more details if needed.

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,
    Veroslav

Code:
    user@user-desktop:~$ sudo lshw -C network
    *-network
           description: Wireless interface
           product: RT3090 Wireless 802.11n 1T/1R PCIe
           vendor: Ralink corp.
           physical id: 0
           bus info: pci@0000:04:00.0
           logical name: wlan0
           version: 00
           serial: 70:f1:a1:93:ad:75
           width: 32 bits
           clock: 33MHz
           capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list ethernet physical wireless
           configuration: broadcast=yes driver=rt2800pci driverversion=3.5.0-22-generic firmware=0.34 ip=x.x.x.x latency=0 link=yes multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11bgn
           resources: irq:17 memory:fbff0000-fbffffff

user@user-desktop:~$ uname -mr
    3.5.0-22-generic x86_64

You should check the situation with rfkill
    kubuntu 20.10

Comment

Originally posted by kernelbasher View Post
      You should check the situation with rfkill
      Thank you for replying. I did check with rfkill while my wireless was unavailble, and the output was the following (same as I get now when I'm connected, doesn't look like it indicates there are problems I think):

Code:
      user@user-desktop:~$ sudo rfkill list 
      [sudo] password for user: 
      0: phy0: Wireless LAN
              Soft blocked: no
              Hard blocked: no

Comment

in the network connection setup , where you checked "connect automatically" check "system connection" as well .

I have a Ralink corp. RT5390 Wireless 802.11n 1T/1R PCIe that uses the same driver as yours and had to check the system connection to end that quirk as well

VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
          in the network connection setup , where you checked "connect automatically" check "system connection" as well .

I have a Ralink corp. RT5390 Wireless 802.11n 1T/1R PCIe that uses the same driver as yours and had to check the system connection to end that quirk as well

VINNY
          vinnywright, you'are absolutely right! It seems to be working now!

While I connected for the first time to my router, I made sure to select "Connect automatically", saved, then rebooted. And after the reboot, network manager automatically connected to my wireless connection!
          So happy right now and I appreciate your help very much. Lets hope it will stick next time I reboot too.

Thanks again!

Kind Regards,
          Veroslav

Comment

Working...
          X