This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kazam will not open!

Having problems opening up kazam keeps crashing. And theres no good screen recorder! Only one is kazam!!! Emailed a admin to. So hope i get reply. Or maybe theres a good one out there. Recordmydesktop i think its called is not to good. >>>>>>>>>>>>

you can use this
    Code:
    ffmpeg -f alsa -ac 2 -i pulse -f x11grab -s 1366x768 -r 25 -i :0.0 -vcodec ffv1 filename.avi
    if you have ffmpeg installed and get a vary nice screen capture with sound ,,,,, change the 1366x768 to you screen res. and filename.avi to whatever you wish ,,,,,be carfull however the file size gets large quickly !! ctrl+c quits it wile the konsole has focus

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
      you can use this
      Code:
      ffmpeg -f alsa -ac 2 -i pulse -f x11grab -s 1366x768 -r 25 -i :0.0 -vcodec ffv1 filename.avi
      if you have ffmpeg installed and get a vary nice screen capture with sound ,,,,, change the 1366x768 to you screen res. and filename.avi to whatever you wish ,,,,,be carfull however the file size gets large quickly !! ctrl+c quits it wile the konsole has focus

VINNY
      does not work either

Comment

i have a little older computer

Comment

Originally posted by thislinuxdj View Post
          i have a little older computer
          such as ?? and what ver.of Kubuntu

VINNY
          16GB RAM

Comment

such as ?? and what ver.of Kubuntu

VINNY
            2006 dell inspiron 6400 my other one is 2010 toshiba satelite toshiba runs kubuntu 12.10 and the dell inspiron runs 12.04. using dell inspiron now

Comment

what kind of errors did you get when trying to run the ffmpeg line I gave you ? and how mutch RAM is in that box ,,,,,other than low ram I see no reason it should not do a screen grab ?
              do you have a swap partition?
              I use that line often in both 12.04 & 12.10 !!
              hear is it in action

VINNY
              16GB RAM

Comment

Code:
                ffmpeg has been deprecated in favor of avconv. And the replacement is no longer a part of the default Kubuntu install. However, it's very easy to obtain. Simply run the following:
                Code:
                sudo apt-get install libav-tools
                Once you do that, the following command will record your entire screen. It reads your screen's dimensions using xdpyinfo, so you can reuse this command anywhere without having to figure out the parameters for the -s option ahead of time. The video stream is encoded in with the free and open source Theora codec and stored in a Matroska container.
                Code:
                avconv -f x11grab -s $(xdpyinfo | awk '/dimensions/ {print $2}') -i :0.0 -vcodec libtheora -q 10 [i]filename[/i].mkv
                Be sure to replace filename with something meaningful.

The number following -q indicates the quality; the useful range is from 0 to 10 for Theora. Higher numbers indicate higher quality (and larger file size). As an experiment, I ran a quick command loop to make 11 five-second recordings of my idle desktop (1920 x 1080 resolution), incrementing the quality each time. The results:

q | size in bytes
                ---------------------
                0 | 271,930
                1 | 393,936
                2 | 571,024
                3 | 738,440
                4 | 764,627
                5 | 917,289
                6 | 1,069,820
                7 | 1,218,198
                8 | 1,417,042
                9 | 1,883,516
                10 | 2,046,983

Theora inside Matroska will provide much smaller files than non-compressed streams inside AVI files. As a comparison, the same five-second recording using FFV1 into an AVI resulted in a file size of 55,383,742 bytes! To my eyes, the Theora video at quality 10 looked identical to the FFV1 video.

Be aware that these files most likely will not play on Windows machines, as Microsoft doesn't include native support for Theora and Matroska. If you need something that's cross platform, let us know.
                Last edited by SteveRiley; Jan 24, 2013, 01:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                  ...the following command will record your entire screen. It reads your screen's dimensions using xdpyinfo, so you can reuse this command anywhere without having to figure out the parameters for the -s option ahead of time. The video stream is encoded in with the free and open source Theora codec and stored in a Matroska container.
                  Code:
                  avconv -f x11grab -s $(xdpyinfo | awk '/dimensions/ {print $2}') -i :0.0 -vcodec libtheora -q 10 [I]filename[/I].mkv
                  Be sure to replace filename with something meaningful.
                  WAY COOL!! Just gave it a try. Just way to cool! Thank you. I've created an alias for this.
                  Last edited by Snowhog; Jan 24, 2013, 12:51 AM.
                  Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                  Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                  "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                    WAY COOL!! Just gave it a try. Just way to cool! Thank you. I've created an alias for this.
                    Thanks! Glad you like it.

One of my goals was to find a combination of concise command syntax and conservative file sizes. Some other examples I came across were truly ugly, with many many pipes and intermediate file format conversions and just yuk.

Comment

You have frequently mentioned using aliases, and I've decided this is a good habit to start.

However, for this command, I'm using a function instead. That way, I don't have to forget to supply the filename and the .MKV extension. (IIRC, bash aliases can't take variables.) I've added this to ~/.bash_aliases:

Code:
                      screenrecord () { avconv -f x11grab -s $(xdpyinfo | awk '/dimensions/ {print $2}') -i :0.0 -c:v libtheora -q 10 $*.mkv ;}
                      (I've also exchanged -c:v for -vcodec. The earlier form was three characters longer, such a waste!)
                      Last edited by SteveRiley; Jan 24, 2013, 01:40 AM.

Comment

cool will try it later. will let u guys know results

Comment

thanks got it worrking! lags a little on this dell inspiron 6400 but won't get much from this old thing! will try it on toshiba satelite. sorry been posting it on new guy!!! i been using linux since last year in august. thanks for help steve and other people.

Comment

Working...
                          X