Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If permitted to as a question about Dolphin in Kubuntu 13.04. Permissions problem.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If permitted to as a question about Dolphin in Kubuntu 13.04. Permissions problem.

If betas are not to be discussed please do not post. I installed Kubuntu 13.04 in a Virtual machine. Attempting to download another recommended Operating System, torrent was their recommended method of uploading the OS. Since 13.04 is new to me, I have not configured Ktorrent yet. When I attempted to do so, I was refused making folders in Dolphin to contain torrent downloads, completed downloads and torrents.

I opened Dolphin using kdesudo thinking I had a permissions problem. I was not permitted to create a folder using kdesudo dolphin either. I have not experienced this type of problem in any other distribution of Kubuntu and am bit baffled. Is this a beta bug, or is it a mistake on my part? Thanks!

13.04 has not been officially released yet. 13 =2013. 04= April.

You MUST accept problems with it which have not been resolved yet.

If you do not want any early problems do not be an early adopter. Go for the official release 12.10.

Don't even go for brand new official releases until they are several weeks old...
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
    "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

What is the output of mount?

Comment

Thank you arochester, memory suggested this might be the case; I am certainly willing to accept the problem. Actually, I thought early recognition of a problem might aid in the process of helping with a cure. Nevertheless, I am not so experienced to know the difference. I just love Kubuntu Operating System and even with my limited experience alway use the latest rc for my primary computer. I currently am trying Kubuntu 13.04 in my new Virtual Box. Is it OK for me to continue the experience, keeping it updated daily, or should I remove it from my computer? I don't see how that might be useful, but I will enjoy experiencing it's progress. Thanks my friend.
        Originally posted by arochester View Post
        13.04 has not been officially released yet. 13 =2013. 04= April.

You MUST accept problems with it which have not been resolved yet.

If you do not want any early problems do not be an early adopter. Go for the official release 12.10.

Don't even go for brand new official releases until they are several weeks old...

Comment

Hi James, mount is as follows:

steven@steven-VirtualBox:~$ mount
          /dev/sda1 on / type ext4 (rw,errors=remount-ro)
          proc on /proc type proc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
          sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
          none on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw)
          none on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw)
          none on /sys/kernel/security type securityfs (rw)
          udev on /dev type devtmpfs (rw,mode=0755)
          devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,noexec,nosuid,gid=5,mode=0620)
          tmpfs on /run type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,size=10%,mode=0755)
          none on /run/lock type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,size=5242880)
          none on /run/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)
          none on /run/user type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,size=104857600,mode=0755)
          steven@steven-VirtualBox:~$

My lack of experience suggests that this is a working problem. Is that correct? I can't help myself about inquiring, If allowed to keep Kubuntu 13.04 beta in my VB, I will continue to watch the mount post to see if I can learn and understand their progress. Maybe some day before I die, I will be able to help someone with something, as I have so many times been helped. And yes, james147, you are exteemed. Your friend, in the colonies. I won't inquire anymore about 13.04 on the forum.
          Originally posted by james147 View Post
          What is the output of mount?

Comment

Originally posted by Shabakthanai View Post
            I won't inquire anymore about 13.04 on the forum.
            You can certainly ask questions about the devel version, but you should do it in the "Kubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail (DEVELOPMENT)" sub-forum, they are a bit out of place in the "Help the new guy" forum.

As far as the issue goes, I've been running 13.04 for months and I've seen no such issues in dolphin, it may be virtualbox related, of course (I'm running the devel version on metal)

Comment

Dear kubicle,

To be sure I understand properly, it would be out of place for a person of my experience to enther that forum, or it would be OK, just the better place to ask 13.04 questions. Much of my entertainment in my life right now is in learning and using Kubuntu. Although I do not believe I will live long enough to contribute, I want to try. I love the improvements that have been made over the years and would like, at least, to have 13.04 on my VB. I could stay off the forum, excepting for review of what is happening, and watch the daily progress, if that would be better. I would rather not bother a busy man with stupid questions, even though most of my "help the new guy" questions are stupid to the gurus of the application. I take it that 'metal' is another distribution of Linux and not Kubuntu? Got me interested, I will have to google that now. Thanks friend!!
              Originally posted by kubicle View Post
              You can certainly ask questions about the devel version, but you should do it in the "Kubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail (DEVELOPMENT)" sub-forum, they are a bit out of place in the "Help the new guy" forum.

As far as the issue goes, I've been running 13.04 for months and I've seen no such issues in dolphin, it may be virtualbox related, of course (I'm running the devel version on metal)

Comment

Dear kubicle,

To be sure I understand properly, it would be out of place for a person of my experience to enther that forum, or it would be OK, just the better place to ask 13.04 questions. Much of my entertainment in my life right now is in learning and using Kubuntu. Although I do not believe I will live long enough to contribute, I want to try. I love the improvements that have been made over the years and would like, at least, to have 13.04 on my VB. I could stay off the forum, excepting for review of what is happening, and watch the daily progress, if that would be better. I would rather not bother a busy man with stupid questions, even though most of my "help the new guy" questions are stupid to the gurus of the application. I take it that 'metal' is another distribution of Linux and not Kubuntu? Got me interested, I will have to google that now. Thanks friend!!
                These forums would be very quite if no body is aloud to ask questions Everyone on these forums are volunteers and so have no obligation to help you, the fact that they do shows that they are interested in helping and so you are not wasting their time.

kubicles point was not that you shouldn't ask, but that you should try to direct your questions to the appropriate sub forum to help keep the forums more organised.

Also, if you wish to help contribute back to Kubuntu I suggest you read this: http://www.kubuntu.org/community/contribute any help is always welcome

Comment

Thanks James. I have been there before, however I did not feel qualified at the time. Now I think I could help some, and will do just that. Glad you reminded me. I guess maybe I have learned a little.
                  These forums would be very quite if no body is aloud to ask questions Everyone on these forums are volunteers and so have no obligation to help you, the fact that they do shows that they are interested in helping and so you are not wasting their time.

kubicles point was not that you shouldn't ask, but that you should try to direct your questions to the appropriate sub forum to help keep the forums more organised.

Also, if you wish to help contribute back to Kubuntu I suggest you read this: http://www.kubuntu.org/community/contribute any help is always welcome

Comment

Best way to get 'qualified' is to try something that sounds interesting. What aspects would you like to help with?

Comment

Several times I notice that the translator uses improper English when translating a project into English. That is something I could do that could be useful.

Of the areas that I am experienced, I can help with wording that a very inexperienced user could better understand. It is a problem I have been dealing with for many years. There are probably menial tasks that don't require a guru's talent that I could do to help save their time for more important issues. i am sure there are other things. I am willing to do important but boring tasks. I owe a lot to the forum and programmers of Kubuntu. I am not burdened with pride or self-importance, so anything that can use that characteristic is probably right for me, if such thing exists. Thanks for the comment.
                      Best way to get 'qualified' is to try something that sounds interesting. What aspects would you like to help with?

Comment

Several times I notice that the translator uses improper English when translating a project into English. That is something I could do that could be useful.

Of the areas that I am experienced, I can help with wording that a very inexperienced user could better understand. It is a problem I have been dealing with for many years. There are probably menial tasks that don't require a guru's talent that I could do to help save their time for more important issues. i am sure there are other things. I am willing to do important but boring tasks. I owe a lot to the forum and programmers of Kubuntu. I am not burdened with pride or self-importance, so anything that can use that characteristic is probably right for me, if such thing exists. Thanks for the comment.
                        I highly recommend you read through this and then start doing what interests you.

Comment

Working...
                        X