This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with audio devices.

Hello. I am trying to get both my speakers and headset setup so that audio is played through the speakers by default, so that I can use the headset purely for skype and other voice communications. I'm not really sure how to accomplish this, however. Any help would be appreciated. Also, if I need to supply more information, let me know.

Go into System Settings >> Multimedia >> Phonon, and in the Device Preferences tab you can set priorities for different devices for specific uses. This assumes you are using a USB headset.

There may be some differences in how successful you are based on the version of KDE/Pulseaudio you have, but in my case running 12.10 and 13.04 this is how my I have it set up. All notifications I set my laptop's sound card, while I selected my USB headset in the Video section of the Audio Playback area.

This also allows me to have Skype's ring to go to the speakers as it is treated as a notification, so I can leave my headset connected to my dock. In the past, the ringing would usually go to the headset no matter what, so I assume this is an issue on how Skype's notifications are seen by pulse/audio system.

Click image for larger version

Name:	snapshot11.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	640223

Comment

I guess I should've added that they're both connected through the same audio device--the headset is connected through the front audio ports and the speakers are connected to the ones on the motherboard. Both correspond to the built in audio card. I do have an extra audio card laying around, though. Would my only option be to use that card for the speakers and then the built-in audio for the headset?

Comment

Well I installed my secondary sound card (C-media CM8338B) but things aren't really making sense. At first, I was able to set the priorities for both my built in audio and my cmedia device, but my C-Media card wouldn't unmute. Not only that, but both options disappeared from the playback priority menu in phonon eventually, leaving me with only the option to set pulseaudio sound server. I'm not really sure what to do with this.

Comment

Thanks for the help Claydoh. After I got my audio card working I used your instructions to set everything up and it works.

Comment

What did you do to fix the problems you had?

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

To fix my sound card, I just unplugged it and then plugged it back in and it started working properly again. It might not have been plugged in correctly, which would be why everything was messed up. After that, I went back to phonon and changed all the priorities so that my C-Media card was default for everything except communications.

Comment

Working...
              X