This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

X11 session

I have a laptop that I am going to leave at a remote site for monitoring usig Wireshark. I have been able to install and use x11vnc and it works as long as I log into the laptop first.

Is it possible to start an x session to log into without the initial login via direct access to the system? (I.E. if a tech was there, they can power cycle the laptop without logging into it, and I would be able to access it via VNC)? I'm trying to avoid explaining it to the remote tech because I think he would have a corinary once he saw something other than Windows.

Yes. In your System Settings it's somewhere in either Boot Manager or User settings. Sorry, I'm at work and not using KDE at the moment. It used to be called "Convenience" settings. Basically, it allows a selected user to be logged in without a password and automatically at boot time.

Please Read Me

Comment

Thanks for that oshunluvr. I was thinking that there might be another way to do it. But I'm finding out that X needs to be going for x11vnc to really be operational. This is such a short term thing that I think we'll leave it like this.

Appreciate it!!

Comment

If you wanted a somewhat more secure way to log in and out remotely, you could use ssh with a secure key. Thus insuring you were logged in only when necessary. I've never trien launching an X session remotely, but I'm sure it could be done.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigAmbulance View Post
          I have a laptop that I am going to leave at a remote site for monitoring usig Wireshark...
          Something smells of illegal

Comment

I think vncserver does not need an Xsession to be running, but creates a detached one (one not displayed on the screen) when you attempt to connect to it. This means you don't need the remote computer to be logged in at all.

Comment

Originally posted by dmeyer View Post
              Something smells of illegal
              Why? The stated use case is actually rather common. (As an employee of the corporation that sponsors Wireshark, I'm aware of many such cases, all legitimate.)

Comment

Working...
              X