Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a config setting to have a commercial movie open like an ISO?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there a config setting to have a commercial movie open like an ISO?

Kubuntu 12.10 KDE 4.9.3

Actually I would like a movie to open when it is put into the DVDROM. I purchased a series of TV programs, Stargate SG1. When I put one of the DVD's into my DVDROM, most of the time, a dropdown appears giving me an opportunity to choose what I want to do with it. I then select Open with VLC which is my default Video Player. Then the movie opens.

Sometimes it does not drop down with a selection, however it is shown in Dolphin on the far left column. To open the movie using this method, I have to click on the movie>the folder appears>then I have to right-click on the folder and choose>open with vlc.

A commercial DVD Player opens a movie when the DVD is placed in the ROM. That is the solution I would like to accomplish.

I do not have a commercial DVD Player, so I am unable to test to see if the TV Series I purchased reacts the same as a movie rental, but I assume it does.

I believe I have exhausted study of all configuration settings relating to multimedia, however, sometimes I don't accurately understand an option that is offered and assume it means something other than intended, so perhaps that is the case here. All things are possible with Kubuntu, so is there a solution any of you are aware? Thanks! I attempted to google the problem, but I couldn't come up with few enough words of explanation to provide a successful search.

To paraphrase:

What you asking to do is have Video DVDs autoplay when inserted.

Is that an accurate summary?

Please Read Me

Comment

Exactly. Boy, I wish I could think like you. So few words to get the right idea across.
      Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
      To paraphrase:

What you asking to do is have Video DVDs autoplay when inserted.

Is that an accurate summary?

Comment

I'm not at my linux machine at the moment. If some else doesn't jump in with the solution, I'll get back to you later tonight.

Please Read Me

Comment

Have you looked at device notifier settings? What about system settings/Device Actions?
          FKA: tanderson

Comment

I believe it's in System Settings somehwhere. Look for Removable Media and Default Action

Please Read Me

Comment

I look forward to it. You know, I have been living in Ohio for about 10 years now, and I still don't have a pair of shoes. I just purchased a couple of pairs of sandals this month. People look a little funny at me when I walk through the snow banks in my sandals. Hah! Haven't worn shoes for about 50 years. I can't completely give up the good life.
              I'm not at my linux machine at the moment. If some else doesn't jump in with the solution, I'll get back to you later tonight.

Comment

In Device Actions - System Settings, it looks promising. There are 4 entries entitled "Open with VLC media player - followed by - Storage Volume, Optical Disc". I attempted to add the following: Play with VLC media player and clicked OK. A window opened which had a space to include a Command, and instructions which said that the Devices must match the following parameters for this action:
                All of the contained properties must match>The device must be of the type Storage Volume>The device property ignored must equal false. There are additional "Edit Parameter", but these features are grayed out and not active. Making this correct is a bit over my head.
                Originally posted by blobfish View Post
                Have you looked at device notifier settings? What about system settings/Device Actions?

Comment

My reply is above in the blobfish reply. Apparently another Oshunlvr.

I did find something interesting in Removable Devices - System Settings:

All boxes are checked in this feature including Device Overrides. I am not sure I understand the ramification of each action. What I felt they meant when I checked them was that by checking them they would mount. That is not the same as "Play" is it? If you would look at that screen and tell me that I should uncheck something, I would appreciate it. Understanding our language is one of my big problems. Thanks, friend.
                  I believe it's in System Settings somehwhere. Look for Removable Media and Default Action

Comment

Working...
                  X