Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a location where all the downloaded desktop wallpapers are located?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there a location where all the downloaded desktop wallpapers are located?

Kubuntu 12.10 KDE 4.9.3

I downloaded an image called water-flame that is my desktop wallpaper. When I right-click on the desktop, a picture of that image appears among the other default images. When I attempt to locate where it is stored, so I can make a copy of the selfsame image to use as a login screen image, it is not in the folder that contains the default desktop wallpapers.

Kubuntu 12.10 allows this method of choosing a different image for the login screen, but I need the location of the water-flame image to install it.

When I attempt to locate and download this image over the Internet, it no longer is Open Source, but since it is already on my computer, I hoped to find the file and keep a permanent record of same and include it as my login background. Thanks!

It is incredible the number of things I have been able to fix, with your skills and abilities, over the past few days. I am very grateful to you all.

When you download any image/picture and don't specify where to save it, it is saved in your Pictures folder. Check there.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

The "Get Hot New Stuff" is downloading the wallpapers to the ~/.kde/share/wallpapers/

The (recent) plasma wallpaper paths can be found from the ~/.kde/share/config/plasma-desktoprc. Under the [KFileDialog Settings] & Recent Files
      Last edited by OneLine; Jan 13, 2013, 12:51 PM.
      Have you tried ?

- How to Ask a Question on the Internet and Get It Answered
      - How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Comment

Two Characters.
        Originally posted by OneLine View Post
        The "Get Hot New Stuff" is downloading the wallpapers to the ~/.kde/share/wallpapers/

The (recent) plasma wallpaper paths can be found from the ~/.kde/share/config/plasma-desktoprc. Under the [KFileDialog Settings] & Recent Files
        My personal link to genius'. Thanks so much. There it is. I was looking for ".kde" thinking it might be there, but I was in the 'Root' folder at the time and it wasn't. When I found it, I broke into laughter. I have spent a good hour looking for it; it took you a split second. Some day, I hope to be 1/100th as smart as you guys. Thanks again. Actually this issue is important to me.

Comment

What OneLine showed you applies if you use the "Get Hot New Stuff". If however, you just find a nice picture/image that you want to have for yourself and 'download' it to your PC and you don't specify where to save it, the 'default' location is your Pictures folder.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Isn't that the nuts! I located it, found it's correct address, it showed up in the box provided in "System Settings", nevertheless, it would not join the other images and allow me to use the Pic. Shuckey-Darn. As the kids would say Oh well! Thanks anyway. I will continue to work the problem. Strangely I did it once before, when I had the image in my /pictures file, and it worked. For some stupid reason, I deleted that copy, thinking I had it elsewhere.

Right now, the login screen is white background with the login boxes only. Maybe something broke that I am not aware of. It would seem I should at least have the default image. After about 20 years of Linux, I am finally learning some of the basics.

Comment

Wow! I attempted to install the "Classic". My desired image remained in the window I download it into, but it never appeared among those in the box on the left of the screen. I checked to see if the login screen contained Classic, and guess what was there: the image I wanted. I copied and pasted it into the /pictures/ folder, but, like I said, it did not move to the column that contained the other options. Nevertheless, it made it's way where I wanted, but only with your help, my friends. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
              X