Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My computer only recognizes 4 of 8gb installed.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My computer only recognizes 4 of 8gb installed.

Kubuntu 12.10 KDE 4.9.3
    Motherboard: ASUS M3N-HT Mempipe
    SDRAM 4/2gb AXIOM EEC 667mhz dual channel SDRAM

A couple of years back, my computer successfully ran well with 8gb ram. I have checked my ram and found all 4 sticks to work fine. Enterchangeably they work fine in the first 2 rails. To get my ram working in the first place, a friend in South Africa suggested entering into the grub, "PCI-NOMSI". I believe that is correct; it is hard to remember; a fatal crash losing all my data made it difficult to recall the exact addition. In any event, after a long series of problems with that motherboard, the help I obtained suggested that somehow the outer 2 rails of my MB had become defective. I have been running on only 4mb since then.

I recently was reviewing posts and noticed a comment that more current versions of grubb had solved the problem that was cured by the use of "PCI-NOMSI". Because I am now using a current issue of Kubuntu, I decided to add the additional 4gb of memory back into my system.

Before when I thought the two rails were bad, and I realize that they still might be bad, when I had all 8gb of memory installed, the system would not boot, however when I removed the memory from the outside rails, it worked. But this time when I reinstalled the outer rails with memory, the system booted and works pretty good. Nonetheless, on boot-up, the amount of memory that is recognized is 4gb+a little.

Since the computer actually boots with memory in all slots, I suspect that the rails are not defective as was suggested. Nevertheless, my computer does not seem to recognize all four rails. I am curious if the "PCI-NOMSI" comment should be reintroduced into the grub.

My experience in command line usage is minimal, and editing the grub kind of scares me. I believe that the proper place to add the additional comment is on the "linux" lines, but I am not positive. Additionally, I am not sure if I remember the comment (PCI-NOMSI) as the correct solution (if not that, it was something very similar). I would like a little help to confirm my memory of the issue is sound or instructions how to correct my problem.

I have toyed with the idea of upgrading to more current technology, but even with only 4gb of the slower RAM, my computer works pretty good. However, with the advent of Akonadi and Strigi, sometimes things lag a bit, and I have assumed that they were the culprit. Also, it is not really much of a problem to live with. It is not like running Windows hah! Thanks for any help from the best bunch of gurus in the business.

Are you running a 32- or 64-bit kernel? IF you don't know, open a console and type:
    Code:
    uname -p
    The output will either be x86_64 or i686. The former is 64-bit; the latter 32-bit.

If it's a 64-bit kernel, all installed memory is addressable. A 32-bit Linux kernel must support PAE (physical address extensions). See EnablingPAE - Community Ubuntu Documentation
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

When I have doubts about my memory sticks or settings, I run a memory test all night (I switch the monitor and speakers off, no need for them while only the machine is working) and check it in the morning.

http://www.memtest86.com/download.html

http://www.memtest.org/#downiso

memtest86 and 86+ are related by I run them both, just for a second opinion, there are also memory/stress tests you can run from the command line while booted in to Linux.

Comment

64 bit
        Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
        Are you running a 32- or 64-bit kernel? IF you don't know, open a console and type:
        Code:
        uname -p
        The output will either be x86_64 or i686. The former is 64-bit; the latter 32-bit.

If it's a 64-bit kernel, all installed memory is addressable. A 32-bit Linux kernel must support PAE (physical address extensions). See EnablingPAE - Community Ubuntu Documentation

Comment

If you think it's your kernel, not the mobo, boot to a different distro on USB. Just because re-arranging the mem sticks allowed your system to boot doesn't necessarily mean one of them isn't bad. Does your BIOS report installed RAM size? It should...

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
            If you think it's your kernel, not the mobo, boot to a different distro on USB. Just because re-arranging the mem sticks allowed your system to boot doesn't necessarily mean one of them isn't bad. Does your BIOS report installed RAM size? It should...
            The first screen that opens when I start my computer indicates that there is 4gb + a little. In the BIOS it shows 4092mb of memory installed and available. But I have all 4 2gb sticks installed on the motherboard right now. That used to crash my computer prior to opening the OS. I don't know if I mentioned it, but I included the "PCI=NOMSI" in the boot grub. I did so in root and saved the entry. Nevertheless, it did not make the additional memory recognizable, as it did before. There were two lines of data that began with "linux" that I did not enter the instruction because I remember from before that I was to enter it after the words "quiet splash". Here is a copy of the lines I did not change: linux /boot/vmlinuz-3.5.0-21-generic root=UUID=98e5a288-89df-4b9b-a6f0-11d9e6336618 ro recovery nomodeset
            Last edited by Snowhog; Jan 13, 2013, 01:54 PM.

Comment

Putting an Operating System on a USB is something else I have not been able to do. In my BIOS the only option for external drives is "Floppy" and I don't even have one. I tried installing on my USB's (I have 2/15gb), but HDD, CDROM, and Floppy are the only choices. Do you think a BIOS upgrade might include USB, or is there a way to get that to work another way. My computer is about 4 or 5 years old now, but the motherboard was pretty cutting edge at the time costing close to $400 for the motherboard alone. My system is an AMD quad 2300mhz. The motherboard is an ASUS M3N-HT Mempipe with 8gb ECC 667mhz SDRAM. I have never updated the BIOS; never had a reason til perhaps now. That I knew of anyway. It was a pretty fancy rig when I built it. Not so fancy now.

Comment

Booting to USB is possible with GRUB. I wrote a post somewhere on here on how to do it.

Back to your problem: If your BIOS doesn't recognize your RAM there's no way any OS will. You've found the problem: Either a RAM stick is bad or your motherboard is dying.

Please Read Me

Comment

If you are sure, I will make a memory check; if the results are bad, I guess I will build a new system. Thanks, friend?
                  Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                  Booting to USB is possible with GRUB. I wrote a post somewhere on here on how to do it.

Back to your problem: If your BIOS doesn't recognize your RAM there's no way any OS will. You've found the problem: Either a RAM stick is bad or your motherboard is dying.

Comment

Originally posted by Shabakthanai View Post
                    If you are sure, I will make a memory check; if the results are bad, I guess I will build a new system. Thanks, friend?
                    Huh? Build a new system? What I do if there is an error, test each stick one by one, but keep in mind, tweaked memory settings may affect error rates and if your board is dual, triple or quad channel, a single stick only will 'act' more 'stock' and stable, but when you put them all back in, dual, triple or quad channel will 'kick in' again speeding things up and possibly causing the same error, just something to watch for. I have been forced to scale back to the board's 'stock' settings a few times to stop errors from occurring, better than spending money on and building a new system if you don't have to.

Comment

Look at likely (and least costly) possibilities first. RAM is cheap. RAM can/does go bad (and in unusual ways).

Your BIOS reports only 4Gb, but you have 4 2Gb RAM sticks in the PC. That means you have two 'banks' of 2 slots each; bank0 and bank1. Each slot in each bank will be numbered on the motherboard. You might see them numbered as 1 2 3 4 or similar pattern.

The fact that you are booting and that the BIOS reports 4Gb of RAM means that both RAM sticks in bank0 are 'good' and that one or both RAM sticks in bank1 is/are 'bad'. Easy enough to test.

STANDARD CAVEAT AND WARNING. UNPLUG THE PC THEN PRESS/HOLD THE POWER BUTTON FOR 5 SECONDS AND RELEASE BEFORE MUCKING AROUND IN YOUR PC.

Remove both sticks from bank1. Mark one as 'b1x' and the other as 'b1y' where x and y are the slot numbers they came out of. Now, remove the first RAM stick from bank0 and put in one of the bank1 RAM sticks. Doesn't matter which one, but note which one. Now reboot the PC. If the PC boots, then that RAM stick is good. If it won't boot, then that RAM stick is bad. If it's bad, mark it as such and put it aside. Repeat the procedure with the other bank1 RAM stick.

With this procedure, you will only have to reboot the PC twice to determine if one (and which one) or both of the bank1 RAM sticks is bad.

This is the approach I would take if I were in your position. It's safe and only requires your time.
                      Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Look at likely (and least costly) possibilities first. RAM is cheap. RAM can/does go bad (and in unusual ways).

Your BIOS reports only 4Gb, but you have 4 2Gb RAM sticks in the PC. That means you have two 'banks' of 2 slots each; bank0 and bank1. Each slot in each bank will be numbered on the motherboard. You might see them numbered as 1 2 3 4 or similar pattern.

The fact that you are booting and that the BIOS reports 4Gb of RAM means that both RAM sticks in bank0 are 'good' and that one or both RAM sticks in bank1 is/are 'bad'. Easy enough to test.

STANDARD CAVEAT AND WARNING. UNPLUG THE PC THEN PRESS/HOLD THE POWER BUTTON FOR 5 SECONDS AND RELEASE BEFORE MUCKING AROUND IN YOUR PC.

Remove both sticks from bank1. Mark one as 'b1x' and the other as 'b1y' where x and y are the slot numbers they came out of. Now, remove the first RAM stick from bank0 and put in one of the bank1 RAM sticks. Doesn't matter which one, but note which one. Now reboot the PC. If the PC boots, then that RAM stick is good. If it won't boot, then that RAM stick is bad. If it's bad, mark it as such and put it aside. Repeat the procedure with the other bank1 RAM stick.

With this procedure, you will only have to reboot the PC twice to determine if one (and which one) or both of the bank1 RAM sticks is bad.

This is the approach I would take if I were in your position. It's safe and only requires your time.
                        I agree with what you are saying, but I do extensive multiple tests (a second or third 'opinion', I've had one test say bad and two say good) on each stick, can't never be too careful, bad memory addresses = bad installs, data corruption, etc, etc.

Comment

64 bit

Comment

All four sticks of ram worked fine in the 1st two rails. It has to be the Motherboard. ASUS is a very frustrating company, when I purchased the motherboard, it was dead on arrivle. They forced me to have every new component checked (everything), it cost me about $100 to get this done and 6 months of my life, before they would replace the defective unit. They finally sent me the motherboard that is in the computer now. The outside 2 memory rails never worked, however the computer did work with the 4gb in the first 2 rails. The hassle was so great with the first defective motherboard, and the computer worked, so I have been living with this problem for years now. I am so disappointed. A $400 motherboard and total disregard for ethics from a major computer products manufacturer. I almost wish I hadn't found out the truth, it is so upsetting and disappointing that such a big company has such little concern for character. I had to save for about a year to get the money to purchase what I thought was the best computer of the time. Thanks, my friend. You guys were great.

Comment

Originally posted by Shabakthanai View Post
                              All four sticks of ram worked fine in the 1st two rails. It has to be the Motherboard. ASUS is a very frustrating company, when I purchased the motherboard, it was dead on arrivle. They forced me to have every new component checked (everything), it cost me about $100 to get this done and 6 months of my life, before they would replace the defective unit. They finally sent me the motherboard that is in the computer now. The outside 2 memory rails never worked, however the computer did work with the 4gb in the first 2 rails. The hassle was so great with the first defective motherboard, and the computer worked, so I have been living with this problem for years now. I am so disappointed. A $400 motherboard and total disregard for ethics from a major computer products manufacturer. I almost wish I hadn't found out the truth, it is so upsetting and disappointing that such a big company has such little concern for character. I had to save for about a year to get the money to purchase what I thought was the best computer of the time. Thanks, my friend. You guys were great.
                              This is why I switched to Gigabyte boards, I had similar problems with bugs and dying USB ports, etc. I used to pull my hair out trying to find out what was causing all those weird and cryptic problems. This is just a guess, but I think Asus uses a lot of garbage components for their boards that are made in China, Gigabyte tries to use the best they can find.

Edit: That is very strange, that they would send you ANOTHER defective board, they probably sent you a board that was previously returned by a different customer, in other words, too cheap to send you a perfect brand new one, shameful.
                              Last edited by tek_heretik; Jan 15, 2013, 10:39 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X